SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Does anyone own a Mossberg Shockwave?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone own a Mossberg Shockwave? Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aileron:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ronin101:
I own one!! Smile.

Here is my 02 cents for what its worth!!!

1. get the brace!! it is a gamechanger. So much more control with the pistol grip and you CAN shoulder it. Better control accuracy and recoil management.

2. caliber. I don't know your wife. Age? Strength? With the 4-6 inch shorter barrel I think the weight will be closer to center and not an issue. Buy reduced recoil OO buck and let her shoot it. 20 gauge wll work but there is a lot moer choices in 12 gauge!!

I use 12 gauge mini slugs that give me pretty close to 44 mag ballistics. And you can get a rail for a light!!

I don't know if the Mrs reads SF or not, so I'll simply put her age between 50 and 60 and reasonably strong. Not much left arm/hand strength - great on the right side.
She has a Ruger 77 in 22 Hornet she's competent with, but even that's a little heavy for her. It's certainly not for HD, but she can operate the weapon without coaching. The attractiveness of the Shockwave is the weight and length. If (big if) the recoil didn't scare her I'm sure she'd take it in the "back 40" and practice - but if it kicks her like my FN with 00 it would just lay in the corner.

If it were mine, I'd get a 12 gage & play with it, but I also know most 20 ga shells have almost as much felt recoil as 12 ga. That leaves the choice of either the puny .410 or 12. Perhaps she could learn with the Aquila mini 12's?

Mossberg also makes something called a 410 Home Security - 410HS. Never heard of it, but a neighbor (who is an idiot) suggested this instead of a Shockwave 12ga.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put together an AR pistol with shoulder brace. Much more effective and much easier to use

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The little .410 Mossberg might make some kind of sense if there are some good slug loads to be had.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Put together an AR pistol with shoulder brace. Much more effective and much easier to use

AR pistol or a subgun maybe be better for her!! Not sure what your budget is but one of the new ruger carbines might be an option. specially with a 32 round glock mag!!!

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting a 12ga Shockwave for $339, as well as the OPSol gizmo to shoot the Aguila mini-shells. If I grow a pair I'll wrap it in Christmas paper and put it under the tree for her :-)

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post