SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Does anyone own a Mossberg Shockwave?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone own a Mossberg Shockwave? Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted
The Mrs can't handle my FN SLP Mk1 Police Special I keep by the fireplace, but she's thinking she needs a shotty for HD. She's 5'4" and about 115#, so the 12ga version s probably out. Mossberg now makes this runt in 20ga as well as .410. Suggestions? She can handle her Ruger LCP in 380 fine, but I'm not 100% sure she'd remember to chamber a round *and* pull the trigger if push came to shove.

Thanks

Aileron

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have the 12ga. it's pretty easy with the Aguila rounds and the TacSol clip. If you're concerned about the chambering thing, get her a coach gun in 20ga. Pretty hard to screw up a break-open.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have the 20g model, my wife can shoot it fine.

We have it as a back-up H.D. thang, it fits just nice in the spot we designated.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 12 gauge version. Picked it up a few weeks ago when it was sale for $329+tax. It's now sale priced at $309+tax. Haven't fired it yet. 20 gauge was priced the same.

I gave my Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12 gauge (18.5") with pistol grip to GF's kid. He's young enough to take the punishment of shooting that shotgun.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 12 gauge version. It's reasonably short, but I'd rather have a shoulder stock on it. I may see about adding a stock and registering it as a short barrel shotgun with a tax stamp, at some point. It's not a priority.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If she can't handle your semi-auto shotgun why consider a notoriously hard to control/aim shotgun? If it were me, I'd be thinking simple and going for a Mossberg 500 Tactical 20 gauge 6-shot #50452. Easy to use, easy to aim, easy follow-up shots, and has a useful stock on it.
quote:
I'm not 100% sure she'd remember to chamber a round *and* pull the trigger if push came to shove
You fall back on your training or lack of training. If she won't train, then just stick with the Ruger LCP.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If she can't handle your semi-auto shotgun why consider a notoriously hard to control/aim shotgun? If it were me, I'd be thinking simple and going for a Mossberg 500 Tactical 20 gauge 6-shot #50452. Easy to use, easy to aim, easy follow-up shots, and has a useful stock on it.
quote:
I'm not 100% sure she'd remember to chamber a round *and* pull the trigger if push came to shove
You fall back on your training or lack of training. If she won't train, then just stick with the Ruger LCP.

It's more the weight and length of the semi-auto FN than the recoil; I think it's over 8# unloaded and holds nine 2-3/4 shells. The Shockwave is light, but I've never even seen one much less fired it. For close range (inside the house), is this a bad choice?

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggestion:
Before you go Shockwave, look for a used Mossberg 500 youth model in 20 GA. The stock will fit a woman better and make the gun easier to handle. A better fitting stock will help with recoil. If need be, either get a short home defense barrel or trim down a longer barrel. Then train with low recoil rounds until she gains confidence. If she does well, then try a Shockwave.
As a firearms instructor, I quickly learned that my female shooters hated the shotgun. And it was because my dept would not buy shorter stocked guns for use by female officers. The guns just did not fit them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
For close range (inside the house), is this a bad choice?

When holding a shotgun to the side or at the hip, the recoil is nearly inconsequential. The shotgun moves a little in the hands, but is very controllable, and use of the shockwave is no different. The strap on the forend is there to prevent the shotgun from moving aft and the hand holding the forend not moving with it.

The problem is targeting. A shotgun doesn't spread that much, especially at close range, and unless it's point blank, the shotgun should still be aimed. It's possible to hold it up face level to aim, but there's a good chance of taking the grip in the face doing it that way unless braced against a strap.

As mentioned above, a Youth model Mossberg 500 is lightweight, and easy to control, with a short length of pull. I bought one for my son when he was younger, and he still shoots it. We ran to the range a few weeks ago on a saturday and played with some house guns, all 10-20', and his youth model; the home shotguns were a bit heavy and not meant for skeet or trap; world of difference picking up his little 20 gauge. Much lighter, much more nimble, and doesn't feel like much recoil.

Given that for home defense anything less than 00 is probably not going to be doing much stopping, I wouldn't look at a shotgun with light loads or birdshot. If she's not comfortable with that, a handgun might be the way to go.

Don't overlook an autoloader, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's more the weight and length of the semi-auto FN than the recoil; I think it's over 8# unloaded and holds nine 2-3/4 shells. The Shockwave is light, but I've never even seen one much less fired it. For close range (inside the house), is this a bad choice?
Yes, it's a bad choice. As the old saying goes, you can't miss fast enough. The Shockwaves are fun but gimmicky. Stick with the tried and true which is the 6-shot 6.5lb 20 gauge.

EDIT: Good video better explaining what I'm saying.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/IlBKWYOxzMY

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given that for home defense anything less than 00 is probably not going to be doing much stopping,
#3 Buckshot in a 20 gauge is a very viable SD load as shown by the Box of Truth more than a decade ago

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Given that for home defense anything less than 00 is probably not going to be doing much stopping,
#3 Buckshot in a 20 gauge is a very viable SD load as shown by the Box of Truth more than a decade ago

Paul Harrell on YouTube does his "meat target" test comparing 20 gauge to 12 gauge. The 20 does pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8EL9MXY2S4

Skip ahead to 9:54 to get to the beginning of the meat target test.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hardly a true statement. I have killed, or seen killed, dozens of deer over the years with 00, 0, #1, #4, and 20ga #3. Inside 30-40 yards, all of those loads are devastating to the rib cage of an adult deer.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I will start by saying that I don't think the 12ga version is a good idea for her. It is easy for me to shoot but I am not a 5 foot 4 155 pound woman. And although my son who is 11 and pretty close to the same size can handle the shockwave I do think it might be too much for a non-shooter and they might never want to pick it up again. With the Aguila mini-shells mentioned above it is a very soft shooter but I am not sold on those as personal defense rounds. A youth sized 20ga with a shoulder stock is probably a better option. I have a old 870 express youth model that my wife loves.

However the assertion that the shockwave is only a gimmick is, at least IMO, incorrect. I didn't watch the video but since I own one I don't need to. It is still a 12ga shotgun and isn't nearly as hard to aim or shoot as some people say it is.

I don't have a video, though there are many out there including guys shooting two at the same time, but I do have a target. This is 10 yards standing unsupported using only the factory bead sight with two shells of Federal LE low-recoil flight control 00 buck and two slugs. I hold the shotgun high and aim like I would any shotgun with a stock, and I have never once taken the pistol grip to the face...

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
As much as I love it, I wouldn’t suggest it for a home defense weapon for a female, or someone who is unfamiliar with shooting it.

Btw, it’s a fun gun, looks awesome, especially the nightstick version....did I mention it’s fun?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Mrs can't handle my FN SLP Mk1 Police Special I keep by the fireplace, but she's thinking she needs a shotty for HD. She's 5'4" and about 115#, so the 12ga version s probably out. Mossberg now makes this runt in 20ga as well as .410. Suggestions? She can handle her Ruger LCP in 380 fine, but I'm not 100% sure she'd remember to chamber a round *and* pull the trigger if push came to shove.

Thanks

Aileron

I owned an FN SLP. Fantastic shotgun, but even compared to other shotguns of similar capacity, they are really damn heavy.

A lot of it has to do with barrel contour. They are basically the same shotgun as the Winchester SX3, but the FN has a MUCH beefier barrel.

Those pistol grip or less shotguns would be VERY low on my list of shotguns for a small female.

I would recommend a Benelli M2 Field 20 gauge with the shortest barrel you can find. Not the same capacity as the SLP, you can add a tube from Nordic Components if you want to increase capacity.

If she is open to platforms other than a shotgun, it doesn't get much lighter than a pencil barrel 16" AR.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:

Hardly a true statement. I have killed, or seen killed, dozens of deer over the years with 00, 0, #1, #4, and 20ga #3. Inside 30-40 yards, all of those loads are devastating to the rib cage of an adult deer.

If I had to pick a round I NEVER wanted to get shot with it would be #4 buck. Too many holes to patch up. Just hamburger.

By buddies wife who is a surgeon has seen it, and she agrees.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I own one!! Smile.

Here is my 02 cents for what its worth!!!

1. get the brace!! it is a gamechanger. So much more control with the pistol grip and you CAN shoulder it. Better control accuracy and recoil management.

2. caliber. I don't know your wife. Age? Strength? With the 4-6 inch shorter barrel I think the weight will be closer to center and not an issue. Buy reduced recoil OO buck and let her shoot it. 20 gauge wll work but there is a lot moer choices in 12 gauge!!

I use 12 gauge mini slugs that give me pretty close to 44 mag ballistics. And you can get a rail for a light!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot. make her shoot it. Put some week taget loads in and run through a box and then move to the reduced rcoil loads. I have confidence she will be fine! "Not sure she can chamber it" isn't good enough when dealing with self defense!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I bought a Maverick 20 gauge Youth Model and a 18.5" barrel for it from the Mossberg store. It makes a perfect light weight 36" long 6 shot home defense gun. I call it the 'Yard Stick'. I wanted it's 22" VR barrel for my field gun.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post