SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    An easy solution to "custom" rifle cases
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An easy solution to "custom" rifle cases Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
I'm sure I'm not the only one that can't stand the pull and pluck foam squares that come with many gun cases. I have a really nice Plano double long gun case with said "pull and pluck" squares that snag on everything and pull apart from their neighboring square, and I HATE IT. today I verified the appropriate squares were plucked for this gun, then went to town with plasti-dip. I am beyond satisfied with the results. Now.. this is a temporary insert until my "my case builder" one gets here, but for $15 it's hard to beat!

Just figured I'd share! I'll upload a pic with the gun in it when it's dry.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I hate the pluck n pull. The standard foam and an electric knife are your friend.

Side note, what did you think of the case builder? Was wondering how much of a pain it was to do a custom upload

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've done it...just be sure to do actual measurements yourself and not rely on specs online for your gear. Once you create the templates and give them scale, there's no way to adjust the dimensions; just went through this with the customer service dept and they told me I had to create a new template and retrace.

I find the hardest thing is getting a proper pic to import. Best way is to place the item on white background and snap a pic from a distance to eliminate perspective issues. I placed my pistol on white paper and stood on a step ladder above so get a good shot.

Lastly...pay for the "oops" insurance the first time you do it. Trust me on this one. :-D

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
When I did mine, I just laid everything out on the foam as I wanted it in the case (solid foam bottom in a storage case) then traced everything from every conceivable angle with chalk and cut out the inside with a razor knife. Because I traced slightly under everything, the fit was too tight, so I slowly shaved the chalked areas until everything fit snug without snagging.

Takes some time but simple and easy to do.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
can you guys post a picture of your insert from them?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post