SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The “Omelet” Course or bustin’ steel eggs at 75 yards with 22 Long Rifle.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The “Omelet” Course or bustin’ steel eggs at 75 yards with 22 Long Rifle. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
A course of fire I’ve been enjoying recently and is, I believe, helping me with rifle shooting fundamentals is to load up my Ruger 77/22 magazine with 10 rounds and try to knock over 10 sort-of egg-sized targets* with no misses.

I was shooting at 50 yards from the prone until I decided that was too easy and went to 75 yards and an elevated kneeling position.

The elevated position using tripod at front and bipod (shooting sticks) at rear evolved from guidance that forum member offgrid gave me some time ago. The tripod is topped with a cradle that supports the rifle but allows a wide range of motion, unlike the fixed clamp type. (I had one of the clamp type, but sold it because I didn’t like it much.)

For the photo the rifle stock is resting on the Y cradle at the top of the shooting sticks, and that’s how I originally used the sticks in conjunction with the front tripod. In time, though, I found that although resting the stock on the Y cradle was steady, getting set up and everything adjusted just right like that was tricky and time consuming. It was also very difficult to recover back to that position for follow-up shots after the recoil from a centerfire rifle.

I next saw several Precision Rifle Series shooters use tripods at the rear that they grasped while holding the stock in position against a leg. I tried that technique myself, but again discovered that positioning the tripod just right was difficult. My latest technique is to use the tripod at the front, and at the rear I grasp and hold together a leg of the shooting sticks and the monopod that’s extended down with my support hand. Doing it like that allows quick aiming adjustments through a wide range of motion and is still very stable. The shooting sticks bipod is also much easier to position and move if necessary than a tripod.

I shot the 10-target course several times today and from the elevated position most strings resulted in seven to eight hits. I managed a few 10 hit clean runs and they were very satisfying because of their rarity.

The course is similar in some ways to the dot drills other members have described, and especially in its test of the shooter’s concentration and focus and use of fundamentals. It’s more fun, though, to watch those steel eggs flipping through the air from a good hit. And walking down and back to reset the targets is good exercise. Smile

The rifle is a Ruger 77/22 with Lilja barrel, Leupold 6.5-20× Extended Focal Range scope, and B&T Industries monopod. Ammunition was Wolf “Match Target” which runs about 1.5 MOA for me. Manfrotto tripod and modified Cabela’s shooting sticks.

* https://www.amazon.com/Quality...ARGETS/dp/B00ISE0LYK

“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
— Bertrand Russell

Posts: 42581 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
That does seem like a good fundamentals drill.

We would often do the 10/40 drill with rimfires, and it was always a good time. (For cheapskates like me)

We drill ten evenly spaced 3/16 holes in a two-by-four, and then put those cheap Dum Dum suckers, the kind you can get in a large bag around Halloween, in the holes.

The goal then was to bust all 10 from the bench with 10 shots of 22LR from 40 yards. You wouldn't think a micro-cloud of sugar dust would be so exciting, but those hits were very rewarding.

I don't know that I ever got all 10. I did notice if I missed the first one, my entire string was off because you spend the remainder of the time knowing you can't get them all. I also noticed if I got 7 or 8 in a row, the last few shots would be off as I got cocky/excited about the prospects of getting all 10 and had a tendency to be a little more impulsive with the trigger.

Sounds easy, but it's harder than you might think. A good exercise nonetheless.

Posts: 10380 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I did notice if I missed the first one, my entire string was off because you spend the remainder of the time knowing you can't get them all. I also noticed if I got 7 or 8 in a row, the last few shots would be off as I got cocky/excited about the prospects of getting all 10 and had a tendency to be a little more impulsive with the trigger.

Yes, the psychology of shooting a difficult course of fire for a goal (e.g., 10 hits in a row) has long interested me. Does an early miss make the rest easier because the pressure is less, or worse because I know I’ve screwed up and need to concentrate more? Does the pressure increase with a good initial string because I don’t want to ruin it, or am I more likely to think, “Yeah, I’ve got this; oops, no, I didn’t”?

Competitors deal with that sort of thing all the time, but I don’t shoot Don’t miss! strings very often and haven’t become accustomed to it as much.

“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
— Bertrand Russell

Posts: 42581 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
That looks like a solid challenge. One that I've encountered in recent NRL-22-type matches at my local club is called "Know Your Limits."

2" on the left, down to .25" on the right. You start with the 2-inch and keep shooting. 10 pts per target hit. 90 seconds on the timer to do so. This particular instance had you kneeling and shooting from the top of a 55-gallon-sized plastic barrel.

IF you miss, however, you lose all your points. So, you go until things get uncomfortable or you just aren't "feeling" it.

Posts: 3285 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vagabond Dreamer
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Both "The Omelet Course" and the "Know Your Limits" look like great fun.

sigfreund, thanks for posting the source for the egg targets.

I need to get my 10/22 out for some exercise.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 3474 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You could intersperse silhouette chickens between the eggs, so people can ask ... well, you know ...

Interesting that target 6 seems to be as elusive as target 8 on the "Know Your Limits".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 11825 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Some of the most fun I’ve had in the last year is with my dads home brew know your limits target @ 50 and 100 yards. The Cz 457 and Lapua Center-X makes it too easy at 50 but at 100 it’s all about fundamentals. Eggs (real eggs) are fun too. We have set them and little army men out to 300 yards to see who gets bragging rights.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some NRL22 matches would be right up your alley! I enjoy shooting them ( not very well most of the time!) a great challenge
I like harkening back to my service rifle roots and shoot a lot of these targets from standing sitting kneeling and prone with only the support of a sling.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post