SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Has Sig Sauer Given Up On Long Range Rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Sig Sauer Given Up On Long Range Rifles? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
I own a Sig Sauer (Blazer) LRS2 in 300WM. It is chuck full of awesome. I've had it for many years, but have only fired it 17 times. It remains a favorite in my collection. It will really reach out and touch the steel.

I remember some other long range models (SSG3000?) that were also offered by Sig, but no longer.

Has Sig Sauer given up on long range rifles of this type?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They have given up on lots of rifles.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Wasn’t there a time not too long ago that one of their spokesmen said they wanted to be rifle company that also made some handguns?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Yeah, but - technically, at least - that was before the M17 and M18 got adopted by the US military and the P365 started tearing up the concealed carry market.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I own a Sig Sauer (Blazer) LRS2 in 300WM. It is chuck full of awesome. I've had it for many years, but have only fired it 17 times. It remains a favorite in my collection. It will really reach out and touch the steel.

I remember some other long range models (SSG3000?) that were also offered by Sig, but no longer.

H&K-Guy

Competitors have gone to chassis rifles.

Military probably isn't far behind. If they aren't there already.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:

H&K-Guy

Competitors have gone to chassis rifles.

Military probably isn't far behind. If they aren't there already.

That's really it. It's really hard to beat a chassis rifle these days. Start with a good action, add a quality barrel, drop in a nice trigger, and you're done. Precision rifle building is getting almost as easy as an AR.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
And a lot of rifle optics.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
Word on the street is that they're releasing a bolt gun at SHOT.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:

Please be like the SHR 970 with easy caliber swap barrels!

I have an SHR 970 that I love. I got it late in the game (from a member here) a number of years ago. Mine in in .270 would like other calibers but the barrels are pretty much unobtainable any more.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

I have an SHR 970 that I love. I got it late in the game (from a member here) a number of years ago. Mine in in .270 would like other calibers but the barrels are pretty much unobtainable any more.

I wonder if the SHR970 uses the same barrel extension as the SSG3000?

If so, you can get additional barrels / barrel extensions in variety of calibers here: http://www.benchmark-barrels.c..._SSG_Extensions.html

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe so

————————————————

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Buddy of mine bought one in 30.06 then tried to purchase a couple comparable barrels for it. He was so pissed at Sig he sent the rifle back to them with a big F.U. letter explaining what barrels he was trying to find, why they could just keep the rifle, and how it would influence him regarding future purchases.

Sig returned the rifle with all compatible barrels with a handwritten apology letter.

I figured they did that because someone realized anyone to send back a rifle without expectation of compensation might be worth keeping as a lifetime customer.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I have often sung the praises of the SSG 3000. The best rifle $1400 could buy, and honestly I don't think $2500 can buy a better rifle. I have photos of 5 shot groups made at 100 yards that could be covered with a dime. Sig should have never left that market. Pisses me off that they did. They are soo fickle like that. Here they had a great product in the SSG 3000 and they killed it. Hopefully they reenter it and pick up where the 3000 left off and my biggest fear, it wont be as accurate or as good of a value as the 3000.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I bought mine in 2013 well after production had ceased and parts were already zippo. There were a couple of .270 barrels left on numrich gun parts.
Wish I would have gotten an extra. The composite stocks are still available and a couple small parts but nothing of note.
I see there is a .270 and a .300 WinMag on Guns America. I sure would like the .300 to add to the collection but not in the budget at the moment.
It is truly an excellent gun. I found mags for it for $16.50 a pop and bought a bunch. That source still has some in both the long and short actions. I should probably buy a few more and some in the long action just in case one ever pops up when I can afford it.

————————————————