SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lets talk Swiss Straight Pulls
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets talk Swiss Straight Pulls Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
I can't remember the member that posted the site with all the Swiss surplus but I should have never seen it. I've always wanted a 1911, K11, and K31 but never wanted to roll the dice with somewhere like Classic or gunbroker. I want to pick up some nice examples and I finally know the place. What do I need to know about these cool surplus rifles? Pictures of your rifles wouldn't upset me either Wink

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We bought our K-31 locally about two years ago, $450 on Armslist. The serialed parts match, it’s in descent condition, shoots well, and the trigger is good for a milsurp.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I last visited the website but Empire Arms touted itself as a worthy merchant of various milsurps.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Simpson Ltd. is your best bet at a decent deal on a Swiss milsurp rifle these days.

Unfortunately, like most milsurps, they're not nearly as readily available or inexpensive as they once were, and ammo has become significantly less available.

If you can find any, surplus GP11 ammo is the best quality surplus ammo you'll ever buy. Match quality. (But the brass is Berdan primed.)

But considering the GP11 supply has almost completely dried up, you'll probably have to reload.

Here's my 1941 K31:

quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
It has been a long time since I last visited the website but Empire Arms touted itself as a worthy merchant of various milsurps.

Empire Arms doesn't really keep much inventory on hand. He's a one man business that buys up milsurp collections, grades them, photographs them, then posts them up for sale in batches. Each batch tends to sell out within a few hours to a few days of posting. Several weeks or months later he'll do another batch.

If you sign up for his mailing list, you get a chance to have first crack at them, but you'd better be quick! His prices tend to be towards the upper end of the spectrum, but his stuff is usually good quality, with excellent photos and descriptions.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Everywhere I look the GP11 is sold out, I'd buy a couple cases if I could find it.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I hear you. I only got my K31 about 5 years ago, at the tail end of the last big wave of Swiss rifle/ammo imports. As a result, I only have about 2.5 cases of GP11 on hand, which is significantly less than any other of my surplus calibers.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I hear you. I only got my K31 about 5 years ago, at the tail end of the last big wave of Swiss rifle/ammo imports. As a result, I only have about 2.5 cases of GP11 on hand, which is significantly less than any other of my surplus calibers.

I'll probably just snag some Privi 7.5 and call it a day

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Prvi is decent for plinking ammo, but it's not match quality like GP11.

As a result, you may not get the outstanding accuracy that Swiss rifles are known for, without rolling your own. But Prvi has good brass, so it'll get you started.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Prvi is decent for plinking ammo, but it's not match quality like GP11.

As a result, you may not get the outstanding accuracy that Swiss rifles are known for, without rolling your own. But Prvi has good brass, so it'll get you started.

I'm with ya. As long as it goes bang I'll be happy....for a while anyway Wink Beautiful K31 btw.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://edelweissarms.com

High prices but probably the best quality. I have a Big 5 K31 that was actually pretty nice, a .30-30 conversion, and some newer. They are great fun guns.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
https://edelweissarms.com

Yup, thats the place Smile

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
But considering the GP11 supply has almost completely dried up, you'll probably have to reload.

WRT ammo: Keep an eye on Grafs Reloading Superstore. They carry GP11 occasionally, Privi Partizan routinely, and their own house brand (which is reboxed Hornady) on the regular. Not cheap, but effective.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Dennis Kroh at Empire arms is good to deal with.
Problem has always been availability and subscribing to his e-mail list is a must.

Few things make it to the website (my experience).

In the past, he's had a good eye for quality, though I haven't purchased from him in a while.

He was an old member of Adam Firestone's mislurp listServe community.

His previous MO, was to cherry-pick gunshows before general admission.

So, in many regards he had the cream of what was being offered.

Anyhow, the milsurp, C&R offerings have dried up for a number of years.

Swiss straight-pulls are a pleasure and the most quality per dollar expended.

Although I can't buy one for $149 anymore, at 3 times the price they outshine any comparably priced, modern manufactured rifle and couldn't be manufactured for at least double what they are going for today.

The 3rd hand market is where you may find a "deal", as many of us, in the day, paid very little for these fine rifles.

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Picked up a really nice numbers matching (incl bayonet), walnut stock, 1941 manufacture a couple years back, they're beautifully built rifles that are a pleasure to shoot. Fortunately, GP11 is still easy to come by up here, but Norma also makes a SP hunting round that may still be in production. I have a few boxes of old stock that I have on hand.

G&E diopter set

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
They're great rifles. Hard to find one in less than good to great mechanical condition. Some chewed stocks, yes.

I have an 11 and a 31, still have a few holes to fill in the Swiss collection.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I just grabbed a beech K31 this weekend to go with my walnut. Gone are the days of $299 prices when I bought my original two and mistakenly sold the mint one (I prefer the one with more patina, shown below).

I have half a dozen mag chargers, two cases of GP11 and an unissued bayonet. Would still like some diopters at some point but they're pricey of course.

former Marine buddy putting rounds on steel at 300 and 400m.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles fellas. I'm going to order 2 or 3 tonight. Ideally a 1911, k11, and K31. Figure I better jump on this train before they are 1k+ rifles.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I just grabbed a beech K31 this weekend to go with my walnut. Gone are the days of $299 prices...

I ordered several when they were $99 from several distributors. I sold them all off but one when I figured cheap ammo might start getting hard to find. Maybe I should have held on to them!

All the ones I fired were very accurate with Swiss surplus ammo.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Aim Surplus when they were being sold for $88.95 ea. Buy three (I did) and get free shipment!

Think I've got four K31's left. I also think $600+ for a K31 is ridiculous.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post