SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin .336 in .30-30 Scope Base Suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin .336 in .30-30 Scope Base Suggestions Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking to get rid of the goofy see through scope mounts on the Marlin .336 I picked up.

For purely aesthetic reasons I don't want a rail that sticks out over the barrel. Does anyone have one they have mounted that doesn't extend out beyond the receiver?

For rings is "low" too low for easy access to the hammer?

I'm not against a one piece like the DNZ or two piece like the Talley. With the DNZ I hear some people talk about mounting it backwards. Anyone have one mounted either way? does it stick out over the barrel? I see some pictures it does, and others not.

This is my current setup:

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have always used flat to receiver Leopold and steel rings.
The see thru aluminum rings are just shit rings in my opinion.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I have always used flat to receiver Leopold and steel rings.
The see thru aluminum rings are just shit rings in my opinion.

I agree with your assessment of the see through rings. I have no use for them, and that's why I want to get a standard mount.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RE: Hammer access, my 336 has one of these on it for where the scope would interfere with getting a thumb on the hammer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
RE: Hammer access, my 336 has one of these on it for where the scope would interfere with getting a thumb on the hammer.

This! I use Weaver style two piece bases and mount the scope down low where it should be. A hammer extension will make sure you don't have any issues cocking the hammer.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I personally like the Leupold one piece base with dovetail rings. It’s an elegant looking, unobtrusive base that maintains clean lines and looks good, or as good as a scope can look on a lever. Big, blocky rings like Tally’s, or anything that hints of tactical (picatinny), seems like an unfortunate anachronism on a lever gun. Of course glass on a lever is a bit anachronistic in and of itself, but no need to make it worse. Smile

Eventually tired old eyes demand it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of the old school, plain Jane 63B Weaver one piece mount with low size rings to keep as close to the bore as possible. They flat out work, and won’t break the bank. The deer I shoot every year can’t tell the difference.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I have Warne bases and QR rings on my 1895. Remove the scope and the iron sights are still usable.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 scope on Talley 1” Low mounts #930336.
Worked great!
It’s on a 1964 336 .35

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20 Duplex Reticle, Leupold rings, Leupold base. I have a hammer extension mounted but not pictured.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I scored a new old stock mount and rings off GunBroker, link to another set below.

Might end up having to lap a bit but hopefully will match up with the bluing of the gun.

Anyone know anything about these?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/793404432