SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bolt action carbines
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Bolt action carbines Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
When you say ruger ultralight, do you mean the Hawkeye compact model? Or did they used to make one actually called the ultralight?


The Ultra Light was a distinct model from the Compact.

http://www.guns.com/reviews/ru...hawkeye-ultra-light/

The Ultra Light was outfitted with a slightly shorter and thinner 20" pencil barrel and a slightly slimmer/lighter wood stock. The slightly different barrel and stock made it ~0.75 pounds lighter than the standard Hawkeye model. The Ultra Light is no longer offered.

The Compact is even lighter, being a full pound lighter than a standard model, with an even shorter 16.5" barrel and a smaller stock with a reduced LOP.
 
Posts: 19082 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
When you say ruger ultralight, do you mean the Hawkeye compact model? Or did they used to make one actually called the ultralight?


The Ultra Light was a distinct model from the Compact.

http://www.guns.com/reviews/ru...hawkeye-ultra-light/

The Ultra Light was outfitted with a shorter and thinner 20" pencil barrel and a slightly slimmer/lighter wood stock. The different barrel and stock made it ~0.75 pounds lighter than the standard Hawkeye model. The Ultra Light is no longer offered.



Interesting information thank you for that. It must have been from before I got interested in rifles as I really can't remember that one being offered.
 
Posts: 4273 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
There is no positive stop mechanically connected tot the action. No steel-on-steel positive stop.


I would think it would be easy to drill out the action screw holes and pillar bed them to a known length. If there is a spec that can be held to.


Something like that could possibly be done but I think it might be a mess to try it. Might take a few stocks before a guy had it nailed. Anyway, as good an idea as it is, its not for me.

OP, another EXCELLENT carbine is the Ruger M77 short-action Ultralights. I have one in .308 and what a peach it is. I've killed the normal assortment of critters around here with it and also worked up a really excellent 220 grain bullet load. Yup, 220 grain, as it has a 1/10 twist rate, not the normal 1/12 of .308's. Anyway, I got that one up to surpass the old velocities of the 215 grain .303 bullet from a rifle length. Great load. you know when it goes off, that's for sure, but it is a great load, and the rifle is VERY light.


When you say ruger ultralight, do you mean the Hawkeye compact model? Or did they used to make one actually called the ultralight?


Ultralight.

It's an M77MKII. I can't remember how old, maybe 10-15 years?

I haven't checked but maybe they don't make it anymore in the Hawkeye version. It is not the compact version. It has a very skinny barrel and high grade stock. Very light as the name says.

ETA: Just saw Rogue's post. Yes, that's it.

I bought it as a replacement for my CZ 527. It is similar-ish tho in .308 obviously. I was selling my AK at the same time and decided to cull the 7.62x39 caliber from the stable.


**********************
"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."
 
Posts: 4787 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
There is no positive stop mechanically connected tot the action. No steel-on-steel positive stop.


I would think it would be easy to drill out the action screw holes and pillar bed them to a known length. If there is a spec that can be held to.


Something like that could possibly be done but I think it might be a mess to try it. Might take a few stocks before a guy had it nailed. Anyway, as good an idea as it is, its not for me.

OP, another EXCELLENT carbine is the Ruger M77 short-action Ultralights. I have one in .308 and what a peach it is. I've killed the normal assortment of critters around here with it and also worked up a really excellent 220 grain bullet load. Yup, 220 grain, as it has a 1/10 twist rate, not the normal 1/12 of .308's. Anyway, I got that one up to surpass the old velocities of the 215 grain .303 bullet from a rifle length. Great load. you know when it goes off, that's for sure, but it is a great load, and the rifle is VERY light.


When you say ruger ultralight, do you mean the Hawkeye compact model? Or did they used to make one actually called the ultralight?


Ultralight.

It's an M77MKII. I can't remember how old, maybe 10-15 years?

I haven't checked but maybe they don't make it anymore in the Hawkeye version. It is not the compact version. It has a very skinny barrel and high grade stock. Very light as the name says.

ETA: Just saw Rogue's post. Yes, that's it.

I bought it as a replacement for my CZ 527. It is similar-ish tho in .308 obviously. I was selling my AK at the same time and decided to cull the 7.62x39 caliber from the stable.



They don't make it any longer, I wish they did though, it looks awesome, maybe I can find an older one. They must have stopped selling them at least ~ 10 years ago or so because I got my first Hawkeye around then and it was t being offered.
 
Posts: 4273 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
There is no positive stop mechanically connected tot the action. No steel-on-steel positive stop.


I would think it would be easy to drill out the action screw holes and pillar bed them to a known length. If there is a spec that can be held to.


Something like that could possibly be done but I think it might be a mess to try it. Might take a few stocks before a guy had it nailed. Anyway, as good an idea as it is, its not for me.

OP, another EXCELLENT carbine is the Ruger M77 short-action Ultralights. I have one in .308 and what a peach it is. I've killed the normal assortment of critters around here with it and also worked up a really excellent 220 grain bullet load. Yup, 220 grain, as it has a 1/10 twist rate, not the normal 1/12 of .308's. Anyway, I got that one up to surpass the old velocities of the 215 grain .303 bullet from a rifle length. Great load. you know when it goes off, that's for sure, but it is a great load, and the rifle is VERY light.


When you say ruger ultralight, do you mean the Hawkeye compact model? Or did they used to make one actually called the ultralight?


Ultralight.

It's an M77MKII. I can't remember how old, maybe 10-15 years?

I haven't checked but maybe they don't make it anymore in the Hawkeye version. It is not the compact version. It has a very skinny barrel and high grade stock. Very light as the name says.

ETA: Just saw Rogue's post. Yes, that's it.

I bought it as a replacement for my CZ 527. It is similar-ish tho in .308 obviously. I was selling my AK at the same time and decided to cull the 7.62x39 caliber from the stable.



They don't make it any longer, I wish they did though, it looks awesome, maybe I can find an older one. They must have stopped selling them at least ~ 10 years ago or so because I got my first Hawkeye around then and it was t being offered.


It is a GREAT rifle.


**********************
"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."
 
Posts: 4787 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Arc,

While this may not be directly related, there are some guys over at Ballistics by the Inch that have tested numerous calibers to find the optimal barrel length. If nothing else it provides a nice reference or at least food for thought.

Where I live we can't use "coke bottle" shaped rifle cartridges for hunting, only "straight walled" cartridges and not all of them either. To top that off, it has to be .357 or larger. Mike Bellm has a wealth of info pushing the .357 Mag well beyond its limits to reach .357 Max levels creating very accurate 200 yard rifles. Not everyones cup of tea, but interesting for those trying to stay within legal hunting limits.

Here in the lower mitten, we too are limited to straight walled. I'm running a 20 inch 357 maximum T/C Encore. This little carbine is a pleasure to handle in the brush and (I think) is reaching 35 remington ballistics. Thanks for posting that link jcsabolt2, good info.


"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison
 
Posts: 665 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
Just hit me;

Rolan, CHROME guns are OK for CAS?

I don't think chrome plating of guns ever existed during pre-1898. Isn't that the breakoff period?


**********************
"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."
 
Posts: 4787 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Ruger GSR last week in a trade and have shot it a few times since. It came with 8 magazines (4 polymer-5rdx2 & 10rdx2 4 metal-5rdx2 & 10rdx2) and the XS sight rail. I'm not sure if the XS rail is really pictinny as 2 of the QD mounts that I've tried fitted loose enough that the recoil lug on the mounts have displaced the aluminum and basically ruined that mounting position. I did find a good handload using the 168gr Combined Technology projectile & IMR3031 powder and scored a solid 1/4MOA 3-shot group @ 100yds. While that group was exceptional the average group size was a little more than double that...which is still very good. My only problem with this load is that I haven't been able to find any more of those projectiles.

Also my only other gripe is the trigger. On my Lyman digital trigger gauge it averaged 4lb 2.2oz from 10 pulls. It's about 2lbs too heavy for my tastes but other than that it does feel nice. Does anyone know of any aftermarket triggers or reduced power springs for this rifle? I'm not as versed on Ruger centerfire rifles as I am with Remingtons (this is my first Ruger) so any help/leads would be appreciated.

Lastly I'm not used to shooting a <8lb rifle, all of my other .308 bolt guns have been over 13lbs and this one has more bark and a sharper bite than I'm used to in this caliber. I'm happy with it and considering I only had 600.00 in the pistol that I traded straight up for this rifle package I think I did pretty good.





FG42 Type G, Ruger GSR, P250 Compact 9mm w/45ACP Compact conversion, H&K VP9 & other cool stuff.

100% disabled veteran
 
Posts: 689 | Location: central NC | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Spec tech makes an adjustable replacement trigger for the GSR. I don't have one yet in the GSR I got recently, but all accounts I've heard about indicate it is a good upgrade. Nice group.

KenS
 
Posts: 854 | Location: Missouri | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
Just hit me;

Rolan, CHROME guns are OK for CAS?

I don't think chrome plating of guns ever existed during pre-1898. Isn't that the breakoff period?


Yes. It is fine. Nickel plating existed, so they allow Chrome.




Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
 
Posts: 21750 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
What once was 22" is now 16.25"



Arc.
______________________________

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

 
Posts: 23750 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
What once was 22" is now 16.25"

That's a nice crown.
 
Posts: 4970 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
I used the 79 degree cutter from Brownells. Took about an hour.


Arc.
______________________________

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

 
Posts: 23750 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned the Ruger RLS, which would seem to have exactly the characteristics the OP was seeking: lightweight rifle with 18.5" barrel, this one .30-06...



"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY
 
Posts: 1463 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
Well no, what I've been seeking is a 30.06 with a 16" barrel. I had an earlier thread on why, the short story is "for the heck of it."

The commercially available options are all 18" or more. Add to that, that I spent some time trying to get my hands on even an 18 or 18.5 like the RSI or the model you posted, and they're a touch hard to come by.

But, the point is moot, as I've got a stainless Ruger American that now has a barrel just a touch longer than 16." As soon as I get the scope, we'll take it to the range and see what all the fuss is about.

Will there be FPS loss? Sure, but not enough to be missed, as I'm not intending to shoot this rifle past 300yds. Will it be loud? Yes, and if it's really loud, all the better. Maybe suppressors will be legalized here, then I'll thread it.


Arc.
______________________________

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

 
Posts: 23750 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Well no, what I've been seeking is a 30.06 with a 16" barrel.

You have to make those yourself, as you did. In the OP you didn't specify the barrel length you were seeking in a production model, although you did say when you decided to cut one it went to 16.

I have two short barreled .30-06 rifles that come in at 6.5 lbs., and the muzzle blast and recoil seem no different from the others.


"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY
 
Posts: 1463 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post




Arc.
______________________________

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

 
Posts: 23750 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
Finally got it to the range, and I'm pleased with it, I don't find the report to be so loud, though it is robust. What is more impressive is the muzzle flash. It is accurate enough, and quite handy. The low power of the scope is the only limitation in the range/accuracy department, and that's what I expected.


Arc.
______________________________

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

 
Posts: 23750 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So why the German #1 reticle for the scope??

I've only seen one, once on a very old Mauser



"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers


 
Posts: 4711 | Location: 35-46.02N 077-55.54W | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
I'd shot a friends rifle that had one years ago, and really liked it. When you look at the fat posts, you might think they get in the way, but what it does is make homing in on target easier, at least for me. My friend who came with me today was a skeptic until he used it.

If you're trying to drill one hole at high magnification, you could use it but there are better choices. I think it is well suited to a hunting rifle, and low/med magnification.

Once sighted in at 100yds, as soon as that center post is on what you'd like a hole in, boom. I suppose this seems like a strange choice, but people are missing out.

I'm going to get a German #4 and see how well it works.


Arc.
______________________________

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

 
Posts: 23750 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bolt action carbines

© SIGforum 2017