SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bolt action carbines
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt action carbines Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
The bolt action carbine has been around a long time. These days it's not exactly at the top of any lists, but I think the short barrel bolt action is enjoying a bit of a resurgence.

A part of that is the success of the Gunsite Scout, I'd say. I've owned a Steyr Scout for many moons, and it has always taken a lashing for being too expensive, impractical, etc. Time passes, someone finds the sweet spot of cost and utility, and a commercially popular scout is born.

But, this isn't really about scout rifles, as the scout is just a carbine with a particular scope and some other features.

Bolt action carbines can be found in their natural state, like the SMLE jungle carbine, and for many years here in the US, cutting down and modifying surplus rifles was very common. A practice that has dried up for some very good reasons.

While I shopped, I did find commercially available "short barrel" bolt rifles in a variety of calibers, the selection dwindling with the shorter the barrel, but they're out there, and that's good.

My own diversion lately has been getting one in 30.06, of which there are few commercial options, so I recently cut down a Ruger American All Weather. A stainless barrel meaning I don't have to bother with cold bluing, rattle cans or other finishing methods.

When the 6" of barrel hit the floor, and I got a feel for the rifle, I had no regrets. Will it be loud? Yes, but not much louder. Will there be some velocity lost? Yes, and with it some range, but how far will I shoot it? Will accuracy remain the same? As long as I don't fuck up the crown.

Now I'm waiting for Brownells, and Leupold to put a German #1 in a low power scope that doesn't weigh much more than the piece of barrel I lopped off. I weighed the scrap with my wifes baking scale, it feels like it weighs more than 110 grams, but maybe not.

The way people think of short barrel bolts has become of interest, particularly compared to the way they think of short barrel semiautos. We all recognize the utility of the M4, and people have espoused the accuracy of .308 autoloaders with shorter barrels.

It's interesting that when the subject of a short bolt rifle comes up, peoples minds are blown, add to that cutting your own barrel, and I'm like a mad scientist in some of the conversations I've had. Not too many decades ago, whacking a bolt rifle down to the length you need was a touch more common I'd say.

I think if I'd got a rifle in carbon steel, in .308 or less, and cropped the barrel to 16" it would be very light indeed. But being stainless, and needing some meat for 30.06, 6lbs is it. Not quite 7 with a scope, 4 rounds, and a sling.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im currently trying to get a cz 550 carbine in 30-06.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

If you can't source one of those, you might try for a Ruger M77 International (RSI), which were made in .30-06 for many years and might be easier to find. Very similar concept to the CZ 550, with a compact barrel, iron sights, and Mannlicher stock. Unfortunately, the Ruger lacks the CZ's sweet set trigger, but the M77 RSI is slightly shorter and lighter than the 550 in return.

M77 RSI top
CZ 550 bottom

Here's my RSI in .30-06:

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
One of those would have been sweet, if I were more patient I probably would have found them.

GunBorker.com is not nearly as useful as Gunbroker.com.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a very old ( like first year of production) Winchester model 54 in 30/06. My wife bought it for me like over 20 years ago. I rarely shoot it, and it has a marginal quality reboy's and extra holes from an old side scope mount. It will stay in my collection forever though. The little lady also bought me a model 70 super grade in 300 magnum as well. All three are keepers!

Posts: 3261 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Ruger American Predator in a 308 with a 18" barrel that is already threaded on sale right before hunting season. Surprising how light it is. Ruger list it 6.2 pounds and 38" overall.

http://www.ruger.com/products/...specSheets/6974.html

Posts: 2674 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

GunBorker.com is not nearly as useful as Gunbroker.com.

No idea why, but this sentence has made my chuckle all morning long. As you can tell it's the small things that amuse me most. Thanks for that.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'll type fast sometimes, and I had actually entered that. It's not a website, so I imagine it could be an amusing one. Where the Swedish Chef evaluates firearms or something.

Arc.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
As far as your scope is concerned, I just got a smoking deal on a Leupold VX6 1-6x 30mm illuminated German #4 reticle, and the CDS (Custom Dial System) for "43% off" through Midway. I paid $809.00 and saved $620.00, with no shipping charges.

I put the glass on my Savage Model 99 in .308 and plan on using it as my "go to" gun for wild pigs. While not a bolt gun, the Savage is pretty light and handy in its own right. Over the years, I've found some very good deals at Midway

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10184 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll type fast sometimes, and I had actually entered that. It's not a website, so I imagine it could be an amusing one. Where the Swedish Chef evaluates firearms or something.

He makes the doughnuts.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15827 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
As far as your scope is concerned, I just got a smoking deal on a Leupold VX6 1-6x 30mm illuminated German #4 reticle, and the CDS (Custom Dial System) for "43% off" through Midway. I paid $809.00 and saved $620.00, with no shipping charges.

That is a smoking deal alright. I just went with a humble VX2 1-4x. Wanted to keep it compact and light.

Arc.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Cz 527 in 7.62x39. Featherweight & accurate. Superb little gun, sweet shooter.

Posts: 13788 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking the Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel would be cool. And chopping one down to 16" would be really cool.

(and if I didn't have a 16" AR in 6.5 Grendel that doesn't see much use, I might be tempted)

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
At first I wanted a Model 70 Lightweight for a dumb scout/carbine project, but now I desire for a Kimber Adirondack. EuroOptic has a smoking deal on the 7-08...

Posts: 9938 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
At first I wanted a Model 70 Lightweight for a dumb scout/carbine project, but now I desire for a Kimber Adirondack. EuroOptic has a smoking deal on the 7-08...

Those are sweet, Ive shot one, great light weight rifles.

Word on the street is that kimber is coming out with one called the "Afognak" that will be in 358. Sort of a re make of some well know guides bear rifle.

I might have to get it even though I have no use for it.

Also if you want to save some $$$, you could get a kimber montan and chop it down.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

If you can't source one of those, you might try for a Ruger M77 International (RSI), which were made in .30-06 for many years and might be easier to find. Very similar concept to the CZ 550, with a compact barrel, iron sights, and Mannlicher stock. Unfortunately, the Ruger lacks the CZ's sweet set trigger, but the M77 RSI is slightly shorter and lighter than the 550 in return.

M77 RSI top
CZ 550 bottom

Here's my RSI in .30-06:

nice looking rifle, Ill look into those. The particular kimber im after dosent have the manlincher stock, just a standard composite one.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Although it wasn't a carbine, I had and old style Ruger MKII All weather with the funky Zytel stock that I really liked and wish I still had. It had I think a 20" barrel and was a pretty decent gun.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8335 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This is precisely why I'm interested in a closeout M77 in 338 RCM. I know, I know, the RCM's are dying in their infancy. I don't care, I'm a hand loader. But a 338 RCM will give me 30-06 heavy performance in a short action, 20" barrel. Very intriguing. Some retailers are moving M77 Hawkeyes for <$500 in the RCMs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8189 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's interesting that when the subject of a short bolt rifle comes up, peoples minds are blown, add to that cutting your own barrel, and I'm like a mad scientist in some of the conversations I've had. Not too many decades ago, whacking a bolt rifle down to the length you need was a touch more common I'd say.

I've been thinking similarly lately. Sometime back, I was given a sporterized Enfield No4 MK? that was missing the handguards, barrel band was gone, the barrel shortened to I forget what length, and either had the protective ears shaved off the front sight which was reattached, or something else was used, but it looked like a home job. I idly considered converting it to a jungle carbine replica but traded it instead. But the feel of a light, short bolt rifle in a quick action has kept a flicker of interest in the back of my mind ever since. That rifle would've been a hoot if I'd made a little project out of it. Big Grin

I know the Enfield isn't typically the action of choice for a custom bolt rifle, I honestly think it would be a great choice for a brush gun. When I'm ready to start messing with it, I intend to eventually do just that.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Arc,

While this may not be directly related, there are some guys over at Ballistics by the Inch that have tested numerous calibers to find the optimal barrel length. If nothing else it provides a nice reference or at least food for thought.

Where I live we can't use "coke bottle" shaped rifle cartridges for hunting, only "straight walled" cartridges and not all of them either. To top that off, it has to be .357 or larger. Mike Bellm has a wealth of info pushing the .357 Mag well beyond its limits to reach .357 Max levels creating very accurate 200 yard rifles. Not everyones cup of tea, but interesting for those trying to stay within legal hunting limits.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post