SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Magpul bipods?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magpul bipods? Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
How is everyone liking their Magpul bipods? I’m bipod shopping after my last el cheapo finally broke.

MLok working out?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I’ve used the one I have a few times, and really like it. I may pick up another one.

Seems to be well made and sturdy.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I have one I got recently.
All of my others are either Harris or Atlas.

After using the Atlas ones the most... I've gotten used to being able to adjust the legs to 45 degree angles - front or back.
Magpul (like the Harris) can not do that.
It's either flat in 1 direction.... or 90 degrees from that.

Seems fairly well built - no real complaints from me as of yet.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Got no complaints on my so far... went picatinny to a QD mount on my.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Put a picatinny one on my SCAR 17. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but just playing around with it in the living room, it seems OK.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've got the Picatinny one and have been pleased with it...the pan and tilt friction adjustment is easy to tighten or loosen with the big knob...legs are adjusted for length manually and lock in place securely (but unlike some YouTube videos, I don't hammer the table with the rifle while the bipod legs are fully extended or repeatedly throw it mounted on the rifle onto the ground from 5 feet high either and complain about weak points that might break)...IMHO at the price point it's a good value in a light bipod...

Right now Brownell's has a $10 off over $75 with free shipping code NEN which would put it at $94...plus from Brownell's if you have any issues they will quickly make it right...forever.

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...pods-prod119659.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been considering one of these and good to see feedback

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Another brand new option (albeit a more expensive one) is this one from a Thunder Beast Arms.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/bipod

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
(albeit a more expensive one)

At $400, yes indeed.

I got the TBAC email, but the problem with owning products like the Atlas bipods is that they never wear out and it’s not possible to justify switching to something like the TBAC with, “Oh, I need a new bipod anyway.”

After switching away from the Harris bipods I’ve never really felt the lack of spring-loaded legs, but I suppose that might be a convenience of the TBAC. Also, the no-tool feet switch would be a minor convenience in some situations, but since going to spiked feet I’ve yet to encounter a situation when I’ve wanted the rubber. It could happen, but hasn’t yet for the type of shooting I do, and it’s not that difficult to keep a small punch handy along with the Atlas feet if they do need swapping.

I don’t know why having a 45° position of the legs is annoying, and although I don’t use it a lot sometimes I do use the reverse 45° position; other than turning it around on the QD mount (which I suppose is possible), that doesn’t seem to be possible with the TBAC.

Atlas bipods are now available with a lever lock for the tilt (which TBAC calls “panning”), but after setting the tension on the original version I have never wanted anything else. Interesting product, though, and another sign of the benefits of increased demand for things like good bipods.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
(albeit a more expensive one)

but the problem with owning products like the Atlas bipods is that they never wear out

I've broke 3 Atlas bi-pods. Twice in matches which is a bummer! Their CS took care of the problems very quickly, a couple day turn around.

Handled a prototype TBAC last summer when in their shop, very well thought out. Most likely sell off my Atlas bi-pods and get the TBAC or https://www.precisionrifledivision.com/the-ckye-pod/ The Atlas is limited when compared to these two.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
I've broke 3 Atlas bi-pods.

What broke on them?

And, ooh!, that Ckye-Pod looks pretty good. Do you have any personal experience with it?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I think I have an account with TBAC. Maybe a group buy on their bipods will be on the future??! Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as someone who has abused an Atlas in about every possible way. what were you able to break? just curious.
Harris I can break without trying.
The only other one that I've had trouble breaking is the Sako TRG which is very tough.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
I've broke 3 Atlas bi-pods.

What broke on them?

And, ooh!, that Ckye-Pod looks pretty good. Do you have any personal experience with it?

Twice the main swivel/pan stud, once one of the leg pivot bolts. Another time one of the legs kept collapsing when loading during a match.... Thankfully I was squaded with fritz, he had a extra Atlas with him. Easily have 10K+ rounds on each of them. Don't take this as a knock on Atlas, great product from a great company. Everything eventually breaks!

A few buddies have had the Cyke-Pod for several months. Shot with one of them today. I've had Ckye-Pods on my rifles, adjust every which way. I like it a lot, takes how a bi-pod can be used to a completely different level.... Been waiting on the TBAC bi-pod to compare.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that, offgrid; good to know.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Worth noting I commonly use my bi-pods for how they were not intended to be used. I've shot many times in a similar position as pictured, leaning a fair amount of my weight on the bi-pod against a barrier..... If rested the rifle across the railing, would be difficult to see my impact.

posted Hide Post
quote:
leaning a fair amount of my weight on the bi-pod against a barrier..... If rested the rifle across the railing, would be difficult to see my impact.

And that's how we break stuff.

Actually, most of us in steel/tactical/precision matches weight the bejeezus out of our bipods with forward pressure. It's just part of seeing our own impacts and sometimes even watching our own trace. In many ways it is fortunate that Atlas bipods hold up as well as they do. I'm actually surprised that I haven't snapped an Atlas at barricades and rock outcroppings, too.

The match where offgrid's bipod failed was an eye opener to me. It was fortunate that I had a second rifle with a bipod in the car. I don't recall the circumstances now, but I don't normally have a second rifle with me at matches. However, I have started including a second bipod with me on matches.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post

I commonly shoot a stage in a course I developed that I could do that in; I’ll have to see if I can break an Atlas too. Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
After messing around with a bunch of different bi pods, I settled on a rugged ridge. It’s really nice.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post