SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any S&W M&P SportII owners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any S&W M&P SportII owners? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Curious what your feedback is on them. i know they are a no frills basic AR. They were selling under $600 for a few years. Now $800 or more. Probably about the least expensive AR along with my Ruger and DPMS now. Got a line on one under $800 with the CTC red dot. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not first hand experience, but a buddy at work has one and has no complaints. He has not used it for anything resembling hard use, but it has been reliable for the target work he's done with it.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Have a MP myself and love it. Ditched the trigger and installed a Larue MBT-2S. IMHO the S&W rifles are a good deal for the $.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Evening
I hope everyone is well and staying safe.

I have numerous friends that have them and they are really happy with them and have had no real complaints or problems.

Now they do not run them hard, nor do they use for them for any type of tactical training etc..

Before I relocated to NC, I actually had a real job and piloted a patrol car. I along with another Officer was placed in charge of creating a rifle program for our small Dept. In the armory were 15- Very well to mint condition Sig 551-1P and 552.

The Chief wanted to switch rifles because of the Sigs being select fire. I wanted to go with Colt or FN and the other Officer wanted to go with SW MP II. Before coming to our agency he was with a Sheriffs Office in Virginia for approx. 19 years. For most of that time he was either in Plt Leader or the overall Commander of the SWAT team. They used the SW M&P II for numerous years and he said they performed exceptionally especially for all the rounds and abuse they put them through.

I wish I would have gotten one or a Ruger AR556 before the prices started sky rocketing.

I know Charlotte PD carries S&W AR's but I am not sure what model. If Chongosuerte does not post you may want to reach out to him and see how theirs are holding up.

The questions that I have are:
Is it new?
Do you know the person selling it?
If it is not new how old and how many rounds?

If it was relatively new, I would buy it.
I am not sure what model CTC is being offered with it but I still think it is a decent price

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks, It is a brand new rifle with the import CTC red dot AR sight.

I kind of know the answer that these are gtg. Just looking for first hand experience. I will probably upgrade the grip and stock first. Then probably the trigger. Other than that I hope to keep it pretty basic if I pick it up.

Under $800 with the red dot is a pretty fair deal I am thinking right now.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I guess if one did not have an AR and needed one now might not be so bad.
At $600 like they were sure.
But I just paid $1,014 for complete Larue rifle and you can too.
The Smith & Wesson is a decent rifle but even with current prices I would not give $800.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W makes a great gun for the money. Granted they cost more now but still a good quality build.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The Smith & Wesson is a decent rifle but even with current prices I would not give $800.

Do you have that Larue rifle in your hands?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Do you have that Larue rifle in your hands?

I have the lower and would have the upper if I chose to assemble it myself.
But I opted to have them build it so I should have it in April.

But I see where you are going hence the reason for my first sentence.
If I had no AR I’d probably snag one of the S&W ARs.

————————————————

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I helped a friend get a new one sighted in this weekend. It was a bit tight at first but it functioned fine and accuracy was acceptable with Winchester M193. If you are looking for a basic AR that doesn't break the bank I think it's a safe choice.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The very same M&P Sport II model that you mentioned sells for $800 in my local gun shop, and they don't engage in price gouging. If you need and/or want a high quality basic AR, you won't be disappointed. bought a Sport II a couple of years ago, and it has been a steady performer and fun to shoot. Good luck.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sig Mann, good to hear. Did the CTC red dot preform well for you.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I thought Iraqvereran8888 did a burn down on one of them and was very impressed by how it performed compared to other more expensive rifles. I’ve heard nothing but great things about them.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I thought Iraqvereran8888 did a burn down on one of them and was very impressed by how it performed compared to other more expensive rifles. I’ve heard nothing but great things about them.

It's one of the more impressive things I've seen. I think they're good to go.
Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe4GvVYNQbc

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
LGS has some with Magpul MBUS but no red dot for $785.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
That was one of the best YOuTubes I have ever seen. Thanks.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks Sig Mann, good to hear. Did the CTC red dot preform well for you.

My M&P didn't come with the CTC red dot. It had a conventional front sight and Magpul back up sights. I put a Burris Fastfire red dot on it, and really like it. The CTC red dot should be fine.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bustabuddy:
That was one of the best YOuTubes I have ever seen. Thanks.

About $8k worth of ammo in today's market...lol

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks, It is a brand new rifle with the import CTC red dot AR sight.

I kind of know the answer that these are gtg. Just looking for first hand experience. I will probably upgrade the grip and stock first. Then probably the trigger. Other than that I hope to keep it pretty basic if I pick it up.

Under $800 with the red dot is a pretty fair deal I am thinking right now.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

$800 is fair right now. If you don't really want that red dot, Sportsman's Warehouse has the optics ready model for $700 right now. BUT, you have to have a Sportsman's Warehouse near you to be able to pick it up, as they won't ship to another FFL. Have to buy online, and pick up in store, and they will charge you tax.

That is a $100 red dot, so your deal is just as good if you want it. And your deal is better if you don't have to pay tax.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I picked up one for my wife about 3 years ago on a Black Friday sale for $499. Definitely a fantastic rifle for the money.
We've put a fair amount of rounds through hers with zero problems.
Not sure I'd take one into battle, but I trust it enough to be a SD rifle.

For sub-$800 with the optic, yeah - it's pretty fair given the market.
I would definitely buy one before I bought a PSA rifle (and I own a few Smile )

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post