SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about rattle canning an AR.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about rattle canning an AR. Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Yes? No? Tips or tricks?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not gonna last long or look precise if that is of concern or you want a specific look.
However, if you really need the camo look for a mission - it will be fine. Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I rattled canned a beater a few years ago. I used mil spec spray paint. It turned out fine. I hung it in my garage on a coat hanger and went to town with 4 different shades of brown.

Wipe it with alcohol really good to clean any grease or oils before you paint it.

Have fun. There won’t be another like it.

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had decent luck with it when I really didn't care, it just needed a finish. The only tip I have is to get any metal parts really clean before you start. The suggestion of alcohol above is just barely a minimum. I suggest a product intended to to this. You can get that from your local auto place (prepsol or similar) or via the normal gun places with the duracoat type degreasers. Then finish with acetone. It helps to get the parts a little warm when degreasing. Then I have used a primer coat and that seems to help durability. But in this case maybe you don't give a hoot.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's not hard at all, just takes some patience.

I followed this guide but my base coat is the light green first, then the darker shades and sand. There also was another post somewhere that really helped me but I can't find it at the moment.

https://primaryandsecondary.co...e-multicam-ish.2921/

I also don't use stickers, I cut stencils in a couple of small poster boards and hold them up to the rifle while I spary. I'll try to post a photo or two.

I'm sure it's not as cool as a Multicam hydro dip, but it also only cost me oh $50 in paint to do 2 rifles and 20 magazines instead of several hundred in shipping and dipping for a pro job.

Need to ensure it's not too humid or hot/cold so the paint will dry in a reasonable time. Living in the south I have like 2-3 weeks in the spring and fall to paint effectively.

https://primaryandsecondary.co...painting-your-rifle/

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Took a crack at it today. I’m pretty pleased with it. Degreased it with brake cleaner. Put down a base coat of dark forest green then used some twigs with leaves as a stencil for khaki, earth brown and army green.

Wish I could post pictures.

Thanks for the tips.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good deal. It's not hard to do. Just don't expect it to stay looking perfect.

For some reason, I've known a couple folks who expected Cerakote-style results from a 5 minute spray paint job, and were disappointed with the results and the lack of durability. (Hint: Even Cerakote wears down, and is a lot more labor intensive to apply.)

But it's a tool... Paint it, use it, shoot it, chuck it around, drop it, rub some dirt on it, bounce it around in the back of your 4WD, and just repaint it when it gets too worn.

For those still considering doing it, Garand Thumb does a nice tutorial on how to paint a rifle:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUBGq9Xz_Jc

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I did this one with an airbrush & 6 thin coats of three different colors, distressed it to my liking then sealed with two coats of a Matte Marine Spar Urethane.
Surface prep is important.
Paint won’t stick to dirt & oil.
I did the same prep for parts I do with ceramic coatings even this was just enamel.
Degrease, heat the parts up in the curing oven & wipe down & degrease again.
Heat brings the oils out of the nooks & crannies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That same brake cleaner can be used to blast it off if you change your mind.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Here are Ruger357's pics of his rattle canned rifle. i will post them for him. Looks great Ruger!!!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing to decide is if you are doing it for coolie/style points or for effectiveness.

Nearly any self camo scheme with nature representative colors will be more effective than a black weapon in nature, regardless if it 'well done' or 'cool looking'.

Obviously it can be both, but a black rifle sticks out in nature like a neon sign.

Whether than matters to you or not is a personal issue. I have 2 rifles painted in a Multicam Tropic scheme and am doing a 3rd with all my free time. I really don't prep at all, other than taping sights, optics, and some markings.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That rifle look great. Nice combo of earth tones and natural patterns.

Now just don't set it down in the woods. Big Grin

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Ive done it once using 3 colors of Krylon and a laundry bag. Came out pretty good. I ended up brake kleening it all off though.

Short bursts and a sweeping motion worked best. Didnt even degrease or prep the surface as the wear will help blend things in.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aervoe Paint is the best IMO (very durable), although it's typically not available locally and Krylon does fine as well.

Also spray each color on a piece of paper to see what it will actually look like when dry - often it is far different from the paint cap color.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Well hell. Now I kinda want to do one.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’ve done a couple rifles, I think it’s fun.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
To the OP, that came our really good.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Great job. This is mine from a few years ago. Changed configuration and needs a new coat, but this was my first effort.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
GW, thanks for posting the pics for me. I’m pretty happy for a first timer with no artistic ability.

Thanks for the tips and compliments. The other ones on here look great too. I enjoyed doing it and it helped pass the time. I’ve kinda got the big to do another one. Maybe a shotgun or pistol.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Great job. This is mine from a few years ago. Changed configuration and needs a new coat, but this was my first effort.

Damn; that looks like a copperhead,cool job.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post