SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about rattle canning an AR.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about rattle canning an AR. Login/Join 
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I paint all my ARs and some of my hunting rifle. I use a couple stencils from walmart and a laundry bag.

Certainly not pretty, especially as some have been touched up numerous times. Like Rhino said...not a huge amount of prep, tape a few things and wipe it down with alcohol.

Holds up fairly well and costs a couple bucks too touch up.

I will post some pics later this morning

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Selector is on the wrong side.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Just for the people that can’t adapt. Nice catch.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I painted a shotgun with rattle can paint and then a coat of clear polyurethane. I’ve used it every hunting season for 12yrs and it barely has any wear. That poly coat makes all the difference.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Just for the people that can’t adapt. Nice catch.

All of my selectors are on 'that' side! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I painted a shotgun with rattle can paint and then a coat of clear polyurethane. I’ve used it every hunting season for 12yrs and it barely has any wear. That poly coat makes all the difference.

Spray or brush poly coat? Got a link to what you used or recommend? Did it make it shine?

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use spray on poly. Flat or satin. I prefer satin, it's not really shiny and the flat is just too dull for me. Any of the brands like minwax are good, there should be a few choices at lowes or home depot. Build it up with multiple thin coats and don't be afraid to use the whole can. Many guitars have a poly finish and it just about takes a jackhammer to get it off, its tough stuff.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Why not? I’ve done a few over the years and they seem to wear just fine

free unlimited image hosting

It certainly helps them blend...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Finished the Noveske in April, finally got out to shoot it after the camo job. "Multicam Tropic"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Finished the Noveske in April, finally got out to shoot it after the camo job. "Multicam Tropic"

Very nice! Might need some details on color and technique.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Very nice! Might need some details on color and technique.

Paint is (in order) Aervoe Light Green (AE951 base coat, all over), then add Woodland Green (AE990), Earth Brown (AE999), and finally Sand (AE977). The key to finding the right color of paint is to spray it on a piece of posterboard and let it dry, as it often varies greatly from the color of the cap. I sprayed about 8-9 colors and then matched it up with the camo example I wanted to replicate.

I have used the same self made stencils for about 4 years now (also made out of poster board) - I just hold them up to the rifle or magazines (I have about 20 AR mags painted as well) to spray the patter. The key I have found is to let the paint really dry, so for me it takes about a 4-8 days do a rifle after taping off the parts I want covered. Paint, let dry for 1-2 days, paint again, etc. Sometimes less if the sun is out and I can safely leave it out to cure faster (easier to do with magazines than the weapons).

No special prep other than taping off with painters tape what I want covered - no degreasing or anything like that. For the optic covers, scope turrets, and WML heads I tape completely and then finish it with paint dabbed on a sponge to just break up the black area.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Looks great.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

posted Hide Post
I appreciate the compliment. I think I just got lucky on my third or 4th try (first couple of attempts were my sons airsoft guns and an MP-15/22).

I read a couple of good articles on the internet about checking the paint and then starting with a light color first, then going with some darker patches over it. I've tried to find them again but to keep for reference but they seem to have been pruned from the internet.

As with most things, just giving it a couple of tries, gaining hands on experience really helps.