SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Contemplating a 5.56 piston rifle; What's the current state of this end of the market?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating a 5.56 piston rifle; What's the current state of this end of the market? Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:

LWRC is very high quality. I have limited experience but I wouldn't hesitate. I still write their 6.8 PSD messages in the "missed connections" section of the personals.

No clue what you're talking about, but I assume this was either extremely funny or brilliant marketing by LWRC, Can you share a little more on this? Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

LWRC is very high quality. I have limited experience but I wouldn't hesitate. I still write their 6.8 PSD messages in the "missed connections" section of the personals.

No clue what you're talking about, but I assume this was either extremely funny or brilliant marketing by LWRC, Can you share a little more on this? Wink

A long time ago, those of use who passed a potential lover in day to day life and were too shy, frozen with awe, or too far away to engage said lover had a second chance to appeal to the universe to bring them back. The newspaper had a "missed connections" section in the personal ads. You might read something like, "to the tall drink of water in the tight blue jeans with the finely groomed facial hair, framed by a red button up, who held the door for me at Walgreens, my heart's greatest desire is to find you."

Circa 2004 MAC on Futureweapons did a segment on the LWRC 6.8 PSD. I knew instantly this was the gun for me. I took a few swings at it, almost buying it multiple times but going different directions based on ammo price/ availability, mag issues, and back and forth to SBR or not (no brace options back then.) I held it a few times, visions of what we could be together and the 300 yard poppers we'd drop from an 8.5 inch barrel filled my mind, together defying short barrel knockdown power stigma, and who's piston operating system leaps forward ahead of DI at the time. Maybe deploying from a trench coat like MAC, defeating multiple adversaries.

Anyway, we were never meant to be together and I've since married multiple other guns. But I'm constantly reminded of what might have been, my only option to send out an arrow into the universe via the Missed Connections hoping one day, maybe the PSD will show up at my door.

(Sorry for wasting everyone's time. They need to call off this quarantine crap, I really need to get back to work.) Big Grin

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ Not a waste of anyone's time, maybe I read more into you're post than necessary, or maybe that mention of the 6.8 PSD just intrigued me.... Wink

Of course, I too fell in love with the 6.8 PSD. It was the first SBR I had ever handled, and I definitely had to have one! They were kinda rare, and not often seen in the wild, but that one was spoken for, so she wasn't available. I'd search GB, but never found the right one. When I saw one at my LGS, along with it's 5.56 twin, I hesitated to pull the trigger. They were apparently long forgotten NOS inventory, but the price was only OK, so I left it there on the wall. I came back to fondle her a few times over a the next month or two, and one day I was REALLY feelin' the itch, so I left to do a little research/cost justification on GB, etc. A few days later, I decided it was now or never....I came back to get it, and she was GONE! Frown

One week later I found one on GB, a NOS LRWC 6.8 PSD for $1200.00....And I did NOT hesitate! Cool

Sorry for the thread drift OP, it must be this Quarantine, and idle hands that have the mind wandering....But DAMN if I wasn't on that PSD like a high school boy in the back seat of his first car! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Oh so you have one. I'm surely jealous. LWRC makes some super nice stuff that I've never bought yet. I'd love to have one but always went another route usually cheaper for whatever reason.

There's a new 308 CSASS Talo I think it's called. That thing is slick .

But their regular 556 stuff and carbines are a solid option for someone who wants 1 really nice rifle.

They were one of the first outta the gate with a Piston AR. POF and HK back then I recall. LWRC is way underrated I think. Little heavy and expensive but otherwise loaded with high quality features and seems to be rock solid reliable.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
A long time ago, those of use who passed a potential lover in day to day life and were too shy, frozen with awe, or too far away to engage said lover had a second chance to appeal to the universe to bring them back. The newspaper had a "missed connections" section in the personal ads. You might read something like, "to the tall drink of water in the tight blue jeans with the finely groomed facial hair, framed by a red button up, who held the door for me at Walgreens, my heart's greatest desire is to find you."

Circa 2004 MAC on Futureweapons did a segment on the LWRC 6.8 PSD. I knew instantly this was the gun for me. I took a few swings at it, almost buying it multiple times but going different directions based on ammo price/ availability, mag issues, and back and forth to SBR or not (no brace options back then.) I held it a few times, visions of what we could be together and the 300 yard poppers we'd drop from an 8.5 inch barrel filled my mind, together defying short barrel knockdown power stigma, and who's piston operating system leaps forward ahead of DI at the time. Maybe deploying from a trench coat like MAC, defeating multiple adversaries.

Anyway, we were never meant to be together and I've since married multiple other guns. But I'm constantly reminded of what might have been, my only option to send out an arrow into the universe via the Missed Connections hoping one day, maybe the PSD will show up at my door.

(Sorry for wasting everyone's time. They need to call off this quarantine crap, I really need to get back to work.) Big Grin

Sweet Jebus. Epic. Big Grin

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
I went through the non-$1,500 piston pistol search process recently. It’s hard to beat the value represented by the Wolf A1 uppers. This one is a 17 Design folding lower, Wolf A1 12.5” upper.

aa clm

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PWS Mk111 Pro upper that’s working out well for me. Runs great suppressed.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I've reached a point in my firearms collecting where I favor lightweight direct impingement AR's, I own 12 of LWRC's rifles, in 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62. I bought my first one in 2004, after seeing how well engineered and accurate they were at range day of SHOT Show. Their salesman handed me a 10.5" barrel AR, and invited me to shoot the steel plates set up at 100 yards. Then he said, "Oh, and this rifle hasn't been cleaned in over 9,000 rounds." Plink, plink, plink, plink - down went the plates. The fact that their rifle could be that well engineered and accurate prompted me to learn more about LWRC. I humbly submit that over the past 17 years they have maintained excellent quality control and customer service. Maybe more than any other US manufacturer. After speaking with their CEO at Shot Show numerous times, I believe they have a commitment to quality control and a business commitment to genuine innovation that is remarkable in the firearms industry. If you're worried about future service from LWRC, I'd recommend buying spare parts during the 20% off sales they hold 3-4 times a year. Believe it or not, I own 2 SCAR 17's, and still prefer shooting the LWRC REPR instead. I believe their piston system is highly reliable and their overall integration of parts and systems offers a highly reliable, accurate weapon.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned a Sig 516. I have had very good experiences with them, and so have friends of mine. Not super expensive either.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an MCK Rattler, HK MR556, and HK MR762.

The HK's are heavy, but they are the "standard" for piston rifles, with both the 416 and 417 being fielded by the US military. They are designed for reliability and durability, with lots of little fixes to the AR platform to eliminate common failure modes. I "think" the US military angle should help with spare parts in the long run, but it's hard to say. At least they aren't going to be obsoleted and abandoned like the Sig 556, 516, and Gen 1 MCX.

Next one I might get is a Brownell's BRN-180 upper. The Gen 2 seems to have worked out the bugs in the Gen 1. It has the action that was the basis for the HK G36, MCX and many other piston designs. It's just an upper to slap on any AR lower for fun.

Then maybe a Tommy Built T36 at some point, but the ATF really screwed with them by saying their exact copy of the SL8's "anti-full-auto" features were not enough to classify the T36 as "not a machine gun".

The CZ Bren 2 is cool, but I haven't seen a rifle, only "pistols" with longer than desirable barrels.

If the MCX Spear gets any traction with the Military, I would consider one.

And I really really want an HK33 equivalent in 5.56. Scaled down G3.

But overall, DI AR's are fine. Nitride BCG's help with the cleaning issue. Mine are a little heavier as I am moving to Criterion Hybrid profile barrels with Geissele MK16 handguards. Eugene Stoner was a true genius to make the bolt the gas piston and the bolt carrier the gas cylinder. First time I really understood how an AR works I realized it IS a gas piston.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I have 2x LWRC M6 rifles (16” & 8.5”), and LMT 16”, and SCAR16.

The SCAR is pricey but my favorite. LWRC makes great stuff and I’ve had the 16” for 8 years; utterly reliable. However, if I could have found a B&T APC223 I’d have bought it in a second. Love my APC9.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned a Sig 516. I have had very good experiences with them, and so have friends of mine. Not super expensive either.

But end-of-lifed by Sig with minimal aftermarket support. In general, semi-auto rifles with significant military use stick around, while those that don't tend to fade away quickly. Exceptions being the Ruger Mini 14 and Browning BAR (the hunting one not the M1918).

The same is somewhat true for pistols - police and military use keep them around for a long time. Without it, some fade away pretty fast.

Really it's just a numbers game.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
If you have a 17 and like the 16 seems like a great logical step.

If I were to get piston 5.56 today it would not question everything a PWS.

Best value, come with adj gas block to run suppressed, weight vs DI gain is minimal. Be around quite a while now and I consider it a proven product of high quality. That Mk111 MOD2 calls to me quite often!

While the MOD2 runs near 2k, it’s still relatively cheaper then most other piston options and when you start looking at the Mod 1 and pro series it the best bang for the buck by a wide margin I think. Just my opinion.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have four 5.56 piston guns. Aug A3, SCAR 16, and two piston AR’s. A factory Colt 6940P and a PWS Mk16 Mod 1-P (upper I stuck on an LMT lower). For non-AR coolness I love the AUG. I honestly find the SCAR just “meh”. I’ve always been more of an AR guy though. Specifically a DI AR guy so they will always be my “go to”. I don’t have many rounds through either the Colt or the PWS but I got them because I like different things. One of the reasons why I own so many different guns is because they all do the same thing (launch bullets) but they do it in different ways. The Colt is a traditional short stroke piston and the PWS is a long stroke. I’ll tell you what, removing the bolt carrier with that long piston on the PWS is different lol.

The piston on the PWS is two piece, with a joint along it that allows a little movement. There is a small spring that goes on the tail of the bolt but other than that the carrier is disassembled like a normal AR carrier. The bolt that came in my upper has some type of nickel coating on it also. The gas system is adjustable. The piston is attached to the carrier by screws.

The Colt is their 6940 monolithic upper that they added a short stroke piston to. The gas system is not adjustable. Colt says it’s a “self regulating articulating link piston”. It uses a standard AR bolt and the carrier has the “gas key” where the piston strikes machined into it. The early 6940P’s had the “key” screwed on like a standard gas key.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
If you have a 17 and like the 16 seems like a great logical step.

If I were to get piston 5.56 today it would not question everything a PWS.

While the MOD2 runs near 2k, it’s still relatively cheaper then most other piston options and when you start looking at the Mod 1 and pro series it the best bang for the buck by a wide margin I think. Just my opinion.

PWS makes great stuff but you can almost get 3 Wolf A1 uppers w/ 3 basic lowers for $2k. Even the BRN-180S upper made by PWS at $800 or so is only $1k with a basic lower attached. And a piston platform like the Beretta ARX100 at $1,100 are a great value.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can only shoot one at a time, and sometimes investing more in a single nicer gun is the way to go.

Are there aftermarket handguards for the Wolf uppers, to allow use of accessories?

I know i'd rather have one high-quality, well-equipped rifle than three bare-bones, basic, "good-value" rifles.

I think the Wolf and BRN uppers are both very cool, but I wouldn't have one as a serious rifle. I'd love to have both of them as additions to a collection though. I got the impression the OP was interested in a more functional gun. I could be wrong though.

I LOVE SiG 55X rifles, but have struggled over the past couple years to make one truly practical. They are friggen awesome guns in their raw state, but don't play well with many accessory aspects of modern "fighting rifles".

Posts: 2090 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I have the FN SCAR 16s, LWRC M6, LMT, HK 416 POF 415 and SIG M16. Hard choice which I like best. if I could only have 1 it would be the POF 415 even though it's a little front heavy. I've had it for over 10 years never a single problem and the most accurate of the bunch.The HK416 would be a close 2nd choice.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DT MDRx is a super solid Piston rifle. The parts aren't interchangeable with an AR but it has many of the same design features ranging from upper and lower receiver, safety/mag release position, to bolt head design.

It is also a bullpup, ambi, multi caliber and can fire 5.56 and 7.62 magazines on the same platform.

Downside is it is heavy for a 5.56 rifle and on the upside fairly light for a 7.62 battle rifle.

DT MDRx

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many realize that ShneaSIG started this thread on 3/6/20, and hasn't posted on it since 3/8/20?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
How many realize that ShneaSIG started this thread on 3/6/20, and hasn't posted on it since 3/8/20?

Hahahaha. I sure didn't bother to check. I guess it's turned into a sort of piston AR thread for everyone.