SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Contemplating a 5.56 piston rifle; What's the current state of this end of the market?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating a 5.56 piston rifle; What's the current state of this end of the market? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My personal, reasonably educated opinion is I prefer my ARs DI. I love piston systems and have a Scar, ACR, Aug, 553, APC300 and alot of experience on other platforms. In my opinion you are stuffing a piston into a system that isnt designed around one and you run into issues trying to make it something its not. I like systems designed around piston op, long or short stroke. If you want a piston I'd invest in something built ot be a piston. If you like ARs they are great guns, a hell of a standard really, but I take the penalty of a bit more involved cleaning. Good luck in your search.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of those on the list, I vote for the SCAR16. Its a great AR18 iteration and you have familiarity and significant parts compatibility with your 17S.

Other contenders in my opinion are the AUG A3 M1 (if you don’t mind bullpup), SIG 553, B&T APC223, and CZ Bren2. I love the AUG and SIG 553.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the POF line. I've got .308 and 5.56 models of them and love 'em !

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
There’s always the good old Ruger mini 14.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
There’s always the good old Ruger mini 14.

Sadly, I can't. If I did, I'd never stop humming the old theme song to The A-Team.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the least expensive route for a piston AR is to buy the Wolf A1 upper. It is a copy of the Taiwanese T91. It sells for $450 and will go on a standard AR lower.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I think the least expensive route for a piston AR is to buy the Wolf A1 upper. It is a copy of the Taiwanese T91. It sells for $450 and will go on a standard AR lower.

Beat me to it! I was just about to throw the T91 upper into the mix.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Just to put it on the table, which parts of the T91 are proprietary?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with any of the SCAR's so I can't really comment on them.

I do own a POF 416 and a PWS. Both are really nice guns and I have thousands of rounds through each. Both are very reliable. I would say the POF is slightly more accurate (maybe .25 MOA) although I have never really sat down and done a controlled comparison test. The POF is pretty front heavy and heavier in general than the PWS. I would say the PWS balances better. Recoil does not seem to be quite as sharp with the PWS.

If I could keep only one, it would be the PWS, but it would be a hard choice and I would feel comfortable recommending either rifle.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of ARX1000’s for this reason. At $899 I have a full rifle for spares. Mine does pretty well suppressed and it’s stamped with their 10.25” barrel. It does not have a huge aftermarket support although shooting sight LLC makes a great trigger for it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I own an LWRC piston 14.5" upper, have shot an LMT 16" piston gun, have shot a SCAR 16, have shot a SCAR 17.

The bolt of piston guns stays amazingly clean of carbon fouling and cool, as compared to DI rifles. The bolt carrier is a little dirtier on a DI rifle, but honestly the fouling is really occurs on the bolt.

Piston guns are almost always heavier than a comparable DI gun, with the weight being distributed to the forward end of the upper. In my direct experience and from discussions with buddies who are talented shooters, piston guns offer reduced accuracy than a comparable DI gun. The piston's reduced accuracy may not be important to some shooters. Other shooters may not have the fundamentals to see the accuracy differences.

SCAR's are decent rifles, and are reliable. I don't find the SCAR-16 or SCAR-17 to be all that accurate, especially for the price. For rifles that are supposed to made for high volume shooting, they should include heavier barrels. Accuracy suffers as the barrels heat up.

I liked the LMT I shot. Slightly heavier than a similar DI, but not a big deal. The gun was accurate -- it seemed to be up to my standards with DI rifles.

My LWRC is truly accurate with only 69 SMK loads, which is odd for a 1:7 twist barrel. It shoots match-grade ammo of other types adequately, at best. It cycles flawlessly both with and without a suppressor. I find recoil slightly smoother with a DI rifle, as compared to a piston rifle. The LWRC's bolt is almost carbon free after a few hundred rounds. Interestingly, the LWRC's barrel requires more patches to clean than my DI uppers. This increased carbon fouling for a piston gun's barrel is something I've heard from other DI/piston shooters, too.

I won the LWRC in a rifle match, so I have invested only the cost of its scope and mount. Given that all my AR shooting is suppressed, I was pretty excited with the piston concept. I'm glad I didn't buy the piston LWRC. I know I won't buy a piston rifle or upper in the future.

I have no issues with suppressed DI AR15s. Sure, the bolts get dirty after shooting. I know my DI rifles are over gassed with my suppressors. But my DI guns shoot with great accuracy -- every one with sub-MOA accuracy out to at least 400 yards with factory match ammo. Other than carbon on the bolt, the guns clean up quickly. I've never had any cycling problems.

This is the conclusion that I have arrived at as well.

I am boring and plain. It is hard to beat the value for the price of DI guns in 5.56. They may get a little dirtier but 95% of the crud on them wipes off with a dry cloth. They don't need to be squeaky clean to function perfectly and it would take more ammo than I ever carry to shut them down.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2risky
posted Hide Post
I will share my opinion, but that's all it is.

I have the FN SCAR 16s, LWRC M6 plus an SBR upper, and the Sig 516 plus an SBR upper. Recently I acquired two BCM uppers, one an SBR.

The piston guns are heavier, and as noted already easier to clean, especially if shooting suppressed. So if weight, for whatever reason, is an issue for your setup keep that in mind. Personally I've never had any issues with my guns, piston or DI. For me I've never noticed much difference in accuracy, but I'm not a precision shooter and the longest bay for the range I'm a member of is 200 yards. Quality wise my impression is that the LWRC probably has a slight edge in quality but the FN and Sig wouldn't be that far behind. Price wise the piston are generally more expensive, so factor that into your budget.

I really only shoot the SBRs suppressed, LWRC, Sig or BCM. The latter being DI. The Sig is the only one with a special suppressed gas setting, but all three have worked for me, but I generally shot non-suppressed so YMMV.

To me the weight distribution on the FN16 is excellent. It "feels" lighter that the LWRC M6, both 16" barrel, even though it's only a few ounces lighter. But none of the piston uppers are as light and balanced as the BCM 11.5" upper (LWRC lower) and Surefire suppressor. In comparison the LWRC 12.7" upper weighs about 15 ounces more.

I think you'll probably be happy with whatever you pick.

Posts: 658 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out the Brownells BRN180?

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Brownells' has been having them on sale. OP, they're uppers only, but work with any AR15 lower. Brownells and Nodak Spud have made compatible lowers that look a little more "AR18-ish". Also, at present, the sole chambering available (if it matters to you) is the .223 Wylde and they do have a reputation for heating up (heat wraps seem to be popular with many owners). Then again, folding stocks are available.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Taiwan T91 aka Wolf A1?

Seems intriguing.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.c...oducts/wolf-a1-upper

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post

I think the Bren 2 is a great option, personally. Cool

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
My mind sees this. It's either a SCAR/Bren 2 or the other AR stuff. These are very durable hard use carbines. I think the B&T APC is in this category as well but I can barely find any real world stuff on em.

Caracal 816 is a less well known piston gun Bartocci says is the latest gen of the HK416. It lacks the CHF/CL barrel though, I have no exp with it. 2nd gen being the Sig 516 which is also solid.

LWRC is very high quality. I have limited experience but I wouldn't hesitate. I still write their 6.8 PSD messages in the "missed connections" section of the personals.

LMT same story as LWRC with benefit of being able to swap barrels and/ or move to DI.

PWS appears to make a nice product. No direct experience.

I wouldn't go towards the MCX personally although they seem to be doing well.

If you want a gun that can absorb a grenade blast, check out the Galil Ace, or the original Galil. It'll be here with the cock roaches after the nuke smoke subsides.

Sig 550 stuff is awesome. 3K is just the entry fee here. You start to rethink that 20 mags per gun philosophy.

Big Grin

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider the Bren 2. They are quality built, use STANAG magazines, have a very AR15-ish manual of arms, will have a decent aftermarket following, and maybe most importantly, don't cost SCAR money. I bought an 11.5" 5.56 model and have been very pleased with it.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the bren2 on the surface. but get back to me when its been in use for awhile.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An option you may consider is a piston conversion kit for your Rock River. In the last week, I bought an Adams Arms conversion kit to test in my rifle. I got it for $193. The first 90 rounds have been flawless and I couldn't be happier with it. If you do go this route, do not follow the Adams Arms video for the installation. Instead, go to their website and follow the written instructions. The video is not up to date with changes to the kit and leaves out some details.

Be sure to have a Dremel-type tool with a cutting wheel to widen the gap in the handguard cap to accommodate the piston width. You can also buy an already altered cap, if you can find one. Here's a link I found helpful in deciding which kit to buy:

https://www.pewpewtactical.com...ers-conversion-kits/

Posts: 847 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post