SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    55gr TSX vs. 70gr. TSX does 15gr. make a difference?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

55gr TSX vs. 70gr. TSX does 15gr. make a difference? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Looking to use my 11.5" SBR for hog hunting, I have been using my 18" 6.8spc but with the suppressor mounted it feels like a brown bess and since we are stalking and the shots are seldom farther than 75M I figured I would give the SBR a try.

I normally keep the SBR loaded with 55gr TSX or 55gr GD as a HD rifle. I always figured velocity rules from an SBR and have tried to standardize my ammo towards 55gr. to keep my dope standard across rifles.

Anywho...I was reading up today (it's raining here) and came across an interesting post on ARF.com where a fellow was testing anything and everything from SBRs...cool

I saw the TSX-BT was moving around 2638fps from his 11.5"...now my barrel seems a bit slower as the 55gr. TSX is 2540fps from his rifle and from mine it is 2485fps. So even if the 70gr moves around 2590fps from my barrel that is a considerable difference....and with a BC of .314 vs .209 it moves my 25M zero to 300m vs 250M.....

Has anyone actually hunted or shot anything...phone books, jugs...hogs with the 70gr TSX?

Just curious if the 15gr difference is worth breaking my OCD regarding standardization

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that I shot a doe with my 10.5" SBR wearing a can. Used a 75gn Hornady HP. Was a pretty good shot at 20 yards with the deer 1/4 toward me. Bullet failed to perform as expected. Ended up loosing the Doe. My best guess it hit bone and fragmented early.

It was my first deer and after that experience I stepped up to .30 caliber for hunting. (.223 was all I had at the time)

Didn't really answer your question. Just my experience hunting with .223.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I shot a large buck with a 70gr TSX out of an 11.5 with silencer.

Double lung and clipped the spine, stopped under the offside hide. Perfect expansion.

You want the higher sectional density of the 70 if you are hunting hogs. You will want to shoot enough of them to know your dope if you plan on getting out beyond 200 yards.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have gravitated for heavy for caliber bullets for hunting. Especially if the game is tough.

Hogs are tough. Speed is less relevant than bullet performance. The 55 TSX is a good bullet. The 70 will penetrate more.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Am I reading your post right? You are getting more velocity from the 70 than the 55? Does not compute.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Have you shot the 70gr TSX yet on paper? A 70gr Barnes bullet is a lot longer than a normal jacketed 70r bullet and may not stabilize and shoot well.

People often drop a bullet weight when hunting with Barnes bullets because they're longer and because they don't need the extra mass to hold together like a cup and core bullet. Speed IS important with Barnes bullets to get them to expand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Am I reading your post right? You are getting more velocity from the 70 than the 55? Does not compute.

That was the reported velocity....I have not chrono'ed the 70gr yet

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post