SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which Youth Deer Rifle (.357, .44, .350, .45-70)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Youth Deer Rifle (.357, .44, .350, .45-70) Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I need to help picking out a rifle for my daughter and son to use. My state required a "straight-walled" cartridge of at least .357" diameter. Cartridges I am considering are the .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .350 Legend, and the .45-70 Govt. I'm leaning hard towards the .350 Legend because it gets the range out there a bit without jumping up to a big bore cartridge with rainbow trajectory. My problem is there are not too many rifles chambered in it yet. Winchester and Ruger have their budget level guns chambered in it and Ruger and CMMG have AR style rifles chambered in it running north of $700. I was really hoping for solid bolt action like a Ruger 77. I have a TC Encore, but MGM wants $395 for a barrel alone. I'll still need to spend another $300-$400 for some optics and mounts. Any recommendations?

I know you can hot load the .357 Mag to reach .357 Max loadings in bolt actions, but if a .350 Legend can do it with factory ammo I would be inclined to stick to that route.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I went 44 mag. Marlin 1894. I use an 1895 in 45-70(same restrictions as you) Pricewise, they're all about the same. 350 Legend caught my interest but I'll likely wait until its been proven. I already other 44 mag levers and wheel guns so that also influenced my decision. The 44 mag is cheap, radily available and more than adequate for the ranges my son can shoot with the Fastfire 3 mounted on it. Its easy to operate quickly and he thinks its fun. He may grow into a 45-70 someday but the 44 mag will always be useful as I find mysef grabbig mine if im going quick and light.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I like the Henry Single Shot in .308 I've got, and at least one person over on the Henry forum has rechambered one for .357 Maximum. OTOH, they run about $370 at the cheapest, break-actions (besides not being bolt actions) are kind of a PITA at the bench, and there are limited options when it comes to scope mounts.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I would go .44 mag. Full house magnum rounds are excellent performers on deer and bring serious knockdown power to the table when out of a 16+' barrel.

For young shooters, you can either shoot .44 specials which are fine deer stoppers within a more limited range or you can download full length cases to .44 special specs.

Full house factory .357 loads can easily take whitetail out to 50 yards reliably, so don't rule it out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
First, I would recommend .44 mag, it will probably do the job and hold its value without punishing recoil for the youngsters.

Second, WTF with the straight walled restriction? Seriously, what is the thinking there?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

Second, WTF with the straight walled restriction? Seriously, what is the thinking there?

Amen.

Its perfectly acceptable to launch 1oz lead slugs all over the place (and they do, complete culture shock the first time I hunted here) but those bottleneck cartridges are "dangerous". Deer drives are also popular here which I never understood. They basically surround a section of land, have people walk thorugh it, the guys on the perimeter then shoot back towards the "pushers" at running deer.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn’t attempt to get into the mind of anyone making such a rule, but the “thinking,” such as it is, probably relates to the fact that many/most straight wall cartridges don’t drive their bullets as far as many/most bottlenecked rounds are capable, and that will somehow make them safer if fired without due regard to where the bullets are going.

On the other hand, the straight-walled cartridge thing may actually be an improvement for hunters in some area(s). I seem to recall reading that at least one state adopted that rule to permit hunting with rifles rather than shotguns only as had previously been the law. Sometimes people are lucky to get what they can.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would go with the .44 magnum, but depending on the age of your kids, I would also consider the 45-70. With cowboy action loads, or moderate handloads, the 45-70 is a joy to shoot, and as they get more comfortable and capable, it can grow with them. Once they are comfortable with it, the 325 grain LeverRevolution round from Hornady is a 200 yard cartridge; 1.5 inches low at muzzle, 3 inches high at 100, zeroed at 200.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'd look at something in .450 Bushmaster, ammo is fairly easy to find and it's got enough punch to put down anything within 200 yards.

This would be a pretty good choice, IMHO

https://cva.com/product/hunter...d-with-black-stocks/

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
44 mag or the new Henry in 38/55

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I’d buy a .357 if your youngster is fairly small and/or recoil sensitive. On the other hand, as mentioned, there are a lot of loads for the 45-70 that range from the fairly light to dangerous game quality. If you think they are going to stick with hunting, I’d consider the 45/70. Get a Marlin guide gun (check it first) or a Henry.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

I wouldn’t attempt to get into the mind of anyone making such a rule, but the “thinking,” such as it is, probably relates to the fact that many/most straight wall cartridges don’t drive their bullets as far as many/most bottlenecked rounds are capable, and that will somehow make them safer if fired without due regard to where the bullets are going.

On the other hand, the straight-walled cartridge thing may actually be an improvement for hunters in some area(s). I seem to recall reading that at least one state adopted that rule to permit hunting with rifles rather than shotguns only as had previously been the law. Sometimes people are lucky to get what they can.

Also true. used to be shotgun only here.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The Henry single shots I have handled had pretty heavy trigger pulls, had nice wood stocks, but seemed kind of pricy for a single shot. Maybe I got spoiled by the old H&R single shots, which were, at least, cheap.

I think a Marlin .357 or .44 lever action would serve admirably for the job. You could scope it easily if you wanted to. And it wouldn’t be as likely to fall into disuse as a break-open single shot would, when the kids grow up.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'd go .44 magnum. I shot a few whitetails many years back with my old M-24, 6" S&W. The mag rds are so much more and the Special worked fine to 50 yds.

I hear You on the 1 OZ slug deal! When they opened that up in NJ we had SEVERAL slugs that hit our barn from hunters nearby. All of them used to 50 yd buckshot.

At least You can use a straight walled case
!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will chime in with the crowd that says .44 Magnum. There is a plethora of guns, ammo, and reloading components and information.

I think .357 would be my second choice for the reasons listed above, as well as being more economical for practice. I consider it adequate for deer in rifle form, but the .44 is better.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already had the TC encore, so another barrel was hard to resist. I went with the 357 Max however, you may be able to find a 357 encore or contender and have it reamed to max length. Seems to be a 35 Rem by another name and the deer will never know.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what area you're hunting. I live in Indiana, and up until just a few years ago it was shotguns and handguns only. Then they started allowing pistol caliber rifles...a restriction similar to what it sounds like you have to live with. I acquired a Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag for this purpose, then a few years later they opened it up to all rifle cartridges .243 and above (no .50bmg).

Most of our hunting here in flat farm country is in tree stands, and most shots are going to be under 100 yards. For that purpose, the .357 is adequate...but with the newer rules, I'd probably use my 1895 in .45-70, just because of the greater energy transfer, and the trajectory is a non-issue at that range. If I was hunting in an area where I'd be taking longer shots, my choices would be different.

Provided you guys aren't planning on taking very long shots, I'd recommend the 1894 in .357. It's a great gun for a kid to use as it's light and handy, and can be loaded with anything from mild .38spc up to hot .357 loads that are comparable to mid-range .30-30. Even though it's no longer my primary deer rifle, it's still probably my favorite gun to plink with.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I love a 45/70 for all the reasons listed. For a young hunter ammo cost should be a consideration as much as recoil. Practice builds confidence and busting &1.75 every trigger pull can get old.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
I love a 45/70 for all the reasons listed. For a young hunter ammo cost should be a consideration as much as recoil. Practice builds confidence and busting &1.75 every trigger pull can get old.

Reloading 45-70 is the only way to go. You can tailor anything from small game to Tyrannosaurus rex and the cases can handle several loadings.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post