SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Peak Custom Hard Case for SiG 551 is Here *** see top of pg 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peak Custom Hard Case for SiG 551 is Here *** see top of pg 2 Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
Cas started a thread about a take down case for an AR ... and it started me thinking about a hard case for my 551 and 556's ... my SBR's aren't a problem but a short case for the guns with a 16" barrel are a bit harder to come by. I've got an aluminum 24" case that I can squeeze a 16" gun into diagonally ... but I'd like a bit more room in it.

Does any one have any experience with the Peak Case Company products? They will custom make one for about $20 extra ... I'd really like a shorter case, like 32x15x5" but the case they sell for shotguns, the Scorpion and similar are 37.5"x13.5" and sell for $144.

Here's one of the $144 Scorpion cases they offer

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Just an update ...

I searched for reviews on the company and everyone raves about them and their cases.

I talked to Tom and he said to make an outline of my gun and any accessories I want in the case and "we'll play with it" to make the best use of the space.

He said that once I approve it I should have it in about 10 days ... which is what the people doing the reviews said too.

There's just something nice about having a fitted case. I've got a Pelican 1700 but that thing weighs a ton ... then I've got 4 other hard cases that are TSA approved that are so heavy they have wheels ... and they need them. I bought them used and cheap but they're too heavy just for taking something to the range.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Nice! I just ordered one of the factory silver SIG hard cases (but you've already got that).

I was looking at ordering one through MyCaseBuilder.com but you have to do the design and layout yourself (done it once before and be sure to pay for the "do over" charge as its not as easy as it looks).

Interested to see what you come up with as I'd love something similar for my 550

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Not as nicely custom fit but I’ve been tremendously happy with a discreet case from VISM for carbines. Think I paid $35 for a grey version. Reminds me of a LaRue Discreet Case with Velcro adjustable partitions. KISS simple and adaptable. I currently have it set up to hold both of my B&T PCC’s with braces retracted/folded.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/...QBIvS8MaAim7EALw_wcB

That said, the case in the OP is top notch. I may have to look into one.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Not as nicely custom fit but I’ve been tremendously happy with a discreet case from VISM for carbines. Think I paid $35 for a grey version. Reminds me of a LaRue Discreet Case with Velcro adjustable partitions. KISS simple and adaptable. I currently have it set up to hold both of my B&T PCC’s with braces retracted/folded.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/...QBIvS8MaAim7EALw_wcB

That said, the case in the OP is top notch. I may have to look into one.

Midway also has a soft discrete case, in tan, grey & black ... Sizes are 22, 29, 36(?) & 42" but not all colors are avaiable in all sizes. they have one a tan in 29" I may order just to have something different.
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Nice! I just ordered one of the factory silver SIG hard cases (but you've already got that).

I was looking at ordering one through MyCaseBuilder.com but you have to do the design and layout yourself (done it once before and be sure to pay for the "do over" charge as its not as easy as it looks).

Interested to see what you come up with as I'd love something similar for my 550

I'd really like a hard aluminum or fiberglass case that's 30-32" ... I'm afraid that being 37" long the rifle will have to be more centered for weight distribution, maybe even have the stock open like the Scorpion above.

My SBR case is 24" aluminum and has 3 layers of foam. The only cuts are for the stock folded, cheek riser and one to stack a 2-3 mags; it balances nicely and isn't terribly heavy. I can squeeze the 551 in if I angle it which leaves plenty of room too but it just barely fits so there really isn't any cushion at the corners. This is an old picture, before I put the SWAT handguard on.

Tom was saying to make an outline with the scope on the rifle ... Which typically I shoot it with the scope so I'm torn on which way to go. I suppose that with the extra room of the 37" I could do both, maybe a different scope and a cut out for a small tool box.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
So I've done a couple sketches, but as PGT said, "it's not as easy as it looks" you can enter pet that as, I just wasn't happy with the way it turned out ... I got to thinking about the balance, what accessories to include ... Scope mounted or not ... Maybe a slot for a higher power scope?

Anyway, it'still a work in progress.

Meanwhile, I've been looking at soft cases for inspiration as well,

I bought a US Peacekeeper M4 case on Amazon ... I had points that paid for half of it so it was only $20 with free 2-day shipping and I got it today!

It's ok, but I haven't actually carried it yet so we'll see below are pic's with my 551 and 11.5" Jack ... The only anchored storage is 2 looks in the upper right for mags.

posted Hide Post
Years ago, Sig USA offered a pelican with pre cut out for the 556. I picked one of them up. I just looked for an old photo of it, I am not seeing it right now. I will keep looking.

It really is not that hard to make one.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Probably 20 years ago I bought a Valmet M82 Bullpup that came in a Pelican 1700 that I like the size but is really bulky and weigh's a ton ... great for transporting across the country or sending by air ... but its way more than you need for going to the range. I've looked at their site for something lighter weight but didn't see anything in a size that would work.

If you find you pic I'd really like to see it ... maybe get some ideas!

Sometimes I think I should just imitate the SiG box. It has space for the rifle scoped, cheek-rest, sling, cleaning kit, 2 square compartments that I've put ammo boxes in, a rectangular compartment that up to 4 mags will fit into, compartment for the stripper-clip guide and another that I think is for the chamber flag, at least that's what I put into it.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
So I've come up with a few designs, I think I like the bottom one best ... with different size scope cut-outs. And there is still room for something like a pistol and a couple mags. I was thinking a 226, but I don't have one to trace ... I do have a SiG 1911 Tac

The dimensions they gave me to work with are 37.5" X 13.5 ... My grey SiG case is only 34" and I was hoping for something more in the 30-32" length, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Anyway, opinions and suggestions welcome!

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Try Mycasebuilder.com - it allows you to design everything online. It has pre-made templates for many guns but you can also upload pics and trace and import.

Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
The sleeping place of my SIG 550-1 when it's not out being fired.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
For those of you in the Dulles/N. Virginia there is another outfit in the area who does custom cases and foam cutouts. They were set up at the gunshow and had lots of examples..

http://www.dullescasecenter.com/

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I heard they had closed but perhaps it was just their retail storefront (still do work, but not walk-in?).

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem I'm having is finding the case size that I want. I looked at Casebuilder.com and Dulles Case Center and they had all the big names and popular sizes, but not what I want.

The factory SIG case is 34", the most popular I've found, they say is 36" ... they I look at the description and that's the interior size, the exterior size is 39-42 which is 10-12" longer than I really want, just like the Peak Case Company that I started this thread with which is 37.5".

I did finally find what looks to be a nice looking case on Amazon, "SAS Takedown Bow Hard Case with Pluck Foam" which is 32x14x5 for $80 ... I can replace the pluck foam for some custom cut and I have a guy at work that can make a "SIG" badge for the outside.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
MG34_Dan - WOW

That makes the little green guy in me very envious!

One thing I'd like to know, is what is each compartment actually made for? For instance, I have my cleaning kit where your cheek riser is ... and my riser is where you have the 3 20-round? mags in the upper left corner along with my sling ... I keep my chamber flag where you have your sling ... but I believe we both have the stripper-clip spoons in the same place! Lastly, the 3 boxes at the bottom ... the middle one we both have 4 30-round mags ... and the other 2 I usually keep boxes of ammo ... and in the smallest box next to the stock, your's appears to have some stripper clips, but I don't know what else.

Have you, PGT or OTD ... or any of the other SiG experts ever seen a case come complete with the intended items in the proper compartments?
Like the factory or designer intended?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I think they're just various compartments based on most likely stuff....mags, manual, mirage strap (for the 550 Sniper), bipod, etc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
MG34_Dan - WOW

That makes the little green guy in me very envious!

One thing I'd like to know, is what is each compartment actually made for? For instance, I have my cleaning kit where your cheek riser is ... and my riser is where you have the 3 20-round? mags in the upper left corner along with my sling ... I keep my chamber flag where you have your sling ... but I believe we both have the stripper-clip spoons in the same place! Lastly, the 3 boxes at the bottom ... the middle one we both have 4 30-round mags ... and the other 2 I usually keep boxes of ammo ... and in the smallest box next to the stock, your's appears to have some stripper clips, but I don't know what else.

Have you, PGT or OTD ... or any of the other SiG experts ever seen a case come complete with the intended items in the proper compartments?
Like the factory or designer intended?

JoshNC would probably be your best source for an answer....

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The SAS Takedown Bow Hard Case arrived today, which they said is 32x14x5 Unfortunately the interior is quite a bit less, at the carry handle, the narrowest part of the case is barely 10" ... I pulled the pluck foam out to get an idea of how to set it up and everything I care about will fit, but I'll most likely change the scope ... Besides the fact it's for the 550, my eyes need more magnification than 4x.

Still, it's a tight fit, I'm not sure if I want to commit to it or not ... No longer can I criticize my wife about her shoes. This is the 3rd case I've bought, intending to use it for the 551.

It is a very nice and sturdy case, and attractive (as cases go) ... But I'm just note sure. I'd like a bit more cushion for the scope ... I suppose I could take it off.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
As I was looking at the post I thought about turning the rifle around ... a bigger scope most likely won't fit ... And I really don't care for it upside down to me when I open the case

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
While I was on Amazon I also came across a 36" Plano Weather All Weather Serise case on sale from $86 to $55 so I couldn't say no. It's much heavier than their regular cases, with a tactical look, "O-ring" seal & pressure valve ... Not a Pelican but pretty solid.

The 551 will fit with the stock extended, but I think I like it better with it folded, and it will accomidate a larger scope ... I think my CZ75 is about the same size as a 226 which I hope to have by the end of the week. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll use this case for but its size is really making me lean toward the Peak Case, which is much more professional looking.