SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PRS Gas Gun finishing touches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRS Gas Gun finishing touches Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted
JP Tank Brake because I want to watch my bullets hit through the scope.

Harris S-BRM (I think?) bipod with podlock and 15 degree camming attachment because bipods make things easier.

Currently shooting factory 50 and 55 gr ammo because I am out of 73gr ELD. Still hitting at 517 easily.

Cool

Well set up rifles make life a joy.

ETA crap I need to resize that...

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good looking Rifle.

I'll say this for all your Range Buddies - ABSOLUTELY hate this brake design. It is awful for those around you!!!!

Just kidding - of course. But it is an obnoxiously loud design.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
JP Tank Brake because I want to watch my bullets hit through the scope.

Well, you'll watch them. May not hear them hit, however. Razz

Lookin' good.

At first glance I thought the tailgate support cable was part of the rifle. I wondered if you had some kind of advanced tactical impact tracking device, with this wire being the receiving antennae. I think you should work on the concept.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Good looking Rifle.

I'll say this for all your Range Buddies - ABSOLUTELY hate this brake design. It is awful for those around you!!!!

Just kidding - of course. But it is an obnoxiously loud design.

Andrew

I agree it is loud. But having been around this design, and comparing it to others like the SJC Titan that have multiple high pressure ports, I find this one to be less objectionable.

High pressure ports lead to that really snappy crack that is much more obnoxious to my ears, even when plugged and muffed.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
It took me quite a while to piece this one together.

I had a different muzzle device on it previously but wasn't really happy with the amount of recoil reduction.

From the muzzle and working rearward:

JP Enterprises Tank Brake
JP 2 piece adjustable gas block
LaRue Stealth 20" barrel with bolt
Harris BRM-S bipod with pod lock
Mega Monolithic rifle length upper receiver
JP Low mass carrier
JP EZ trigger adjustable single stage
Ergo grip
DPMS lower that I have had since 2006 Cool
JP Silent Captive Buffer and spring
Magpul UBR
Warne 20 MOA one piece scope mount
Vortex PST Gen2 3-15

I think the monolithic upper sat in a filing cabinet drawer for more than a year as I accumulated other parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IndianaBoy,

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine stopped by and I was checking the rifle out at 100 yards to see if changing the muzzle device necessitated correcting zero. It did, only very slightly.

Then we drove back and laser ranged some steel at 517 yards.

I dialed 3.3 mils of elevation and there was no wind.

First round hits for both of us. Cool

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
It took me quite a while to piece this one together.

I had a different muzzle device on it previously but wasn't really happy with the amount of recoil reduction.

From the muzzle and working rearward:

JP Enterprises Tank Brake
JP 2 piece adjustable gas block
LaRue Steal 20" barrel with bolt
Harris BRM-S bipod with pod lock
Mega Monolithic rifle length upper receiver
JP Low mass carrier
JP EZ trigger adjustable single stage
Ergo grip
DPMS lower that I have had since 2006 Cool
JP Silent Captive Buffer and spring
Magpul UBR
Warne 20 MOA one piece scope mount
Vortex PST Gen2 3-15

I think the monolithic upper sat in a filing cabinet drawer for more than a year as I accumulated other parts.

JP makes some nice stuff. Here is my newest JP this one is my main 3 Gun rifle.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
What is the make/model of the rear bag you're using?

JP is drool worthy imho. I love their BCGs, I haven't plunged any further Cool you're making it hard to resist.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The gray bag is a champion brand from a prize table. I also have a squeeze bag from Armageddon Gear that attaches to a QD sling mount.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
That JP brake works great, had one on the AR-10t.

Of course it "annoys" people at the range. But really, they do know they're at a gun range, right?

In all honesty, anyone annoyed by gunfire at a range, should leave and never return.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
That JP brake works great, had one on the AR-10t.

Of course it "annoys" people at the range. But really, they do know they're at a gun range, right?

In all honesty, anyone annoyed by gunfire at a range, should leave and never return.

In theory, yes. I shot precision matches for a few years with an APA Fat Bastard brake on a 26" barrel 6.5 Creedmoor. The APA is loud as can be -- along the lines of a JP, and effective as hell in reducing recoil.

Even wearing plugs and muffs, my ears began ringing after matches. I had minor tinnitus from years of sporting clays competition, but precision rifle seemed to make it worse at a faster rate. I bought suppressors, stopped using brakes, and my tinnitus seems to have stabilized.

A buddy with more years in precision rifle competition than I experienced very challenging tinnitus issues this year. He just switched from an APA brake to a TBAC suppressor. He states that taking some time off from shooting unsuppressed rifles seems to be lessening his problems.

Loud noises are no joke.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Guns are loud. Plan accordingly.

Suppressors are absolutely better for hearing, brakes redirect force, not dissipate it.

Using a suppressor instead of a brake, will not have the same recoil mitigation.

The firing of a given weapon with a muzzle brake can be observed and planned for, in a controlled environment like a firing range. If anyone thinks it is too loud, concessions can be made, like cucumber sandwiches, hats with large bows, and appropriately sized tampons.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very understanding. May you, your friends, and your family never have to deal with physical or medical challenges.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I may eventually add a precision type silencer to the rifle.

I have an AAC 556SD but, while not detrimental to practical accuracy on the rifles that I use it on, I knew it wasn't designed for a rifle geared towards long range precision.

A high quality precision silencer isn't in the budget right now.

I plug (not foamies but high quality molded ear plugs), and muff when shooting braked rifles.

I do find the JP Tank Brake to be less obnoxious than brakes with high pressure ports like the SJC Titan. Those things are just SO snappy.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have an AAC 556SD but, while not detrimental to practical accuracy on the rifles that I use it on, I knew it wasn't designed for a rifle geared towards long range precision.

I plug (not foamies but high quality molded ear plugs), and muff when shooting braked rifles.

I do find the JP Tank Brake to be less obnoxious than brakes with high pressure ports like the SJC Titan. Those things are just SO snappy.

interesting, I did not know that there were different types of silencers , precision vs regular?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

interesting, I did not know that there were different types of silencers , precision vs regular?

My 556SD has a slight amount of rotational play. Just part of the nature of 51 tooth mounts. You see a different assortment of silencers on PRS guns than you will see on tactical type carbines for hard use at short distances.