SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    870 overhaul frequently jams with 2-3/4" light loads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

870 overhaul frequently jams with 2-3/4" light loads Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I rebuilt my 870 Wingmaster last year and posted it here. Since I want it to be my HD shotgun, I have been taking it out for reliability testing but its been jamming on me. I would chamber a round and shoot but I could not pull the slide back any farther than 1/4".

I'd have to slam the buttstock on the bench hard to eject the stuck shell. At first, I thought the slide release was getting stuck and not allowing me to pump the shotgun. I took it out today and paid more attention. It appears that the slide was released but the shell was stuck in the chamber. These were lo-wall 2-3/4" shells (Winchester gray box bird shot) with a silver colored shell head. I don't know if its aluminum or some kind of zinc alloy or what.

I visually verified that the slide was actually sliding back, indicating that it was released and that it was the shell that was stuck. I tried 10 rounds of Remington 3" brass high wall 00-buck and they all extracted fine.

Does my chamber need polishing? I installed an 18" blued Police magnum barrel. It was new in the box.

Does it just need to be broken in more or is this some sort of problem when running 2-3/4" shells through a magnum chamber?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd try a different brand of low base shell in it. Use of 2.75" shells in a 3" chamber has never been a problem in any of my shotguns.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I say try other ammo as well. Have seen issues with Winchester shells doing the same or sticking in the chamber of shotguns.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Have seen the crap Winchester loads do that alot with our trap and 5 stand guys.with Winchester. I have found the Winchester shells will frequently split after one firing.

I would polish the chamber and switch to Federal loads.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
We have seen the same problem with low priced Winchester ammunition and some 870s. Generally Federal works fine. It has been suggested that polishing the chamber might help, but it’s not something I’ve tried.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sounds like more an ammo problem. One would think most any ammo would work, sometimes not.

I would just try a few types then avoid the stuff that doesn’t extract.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winchester promo shells are well known for being jam-o-matic ammo. In skeet, trap, and sporting clays I've seen cheap Winchester bring the most reliable guns to their knees. Try different ammo.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Take an extremely sensitive instrument (your finger) and rub the inside of the chamber to see if you feel any roughness or machine marks. If none exist change ammo.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
I have found the Winchester shells will frequently split after one firing.

when I read the thread title that was my first thought.. "I wonder if he's using cheap Winchester ammo?" I've seen it far too many times and almost always in newer Remingtons.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my grandfathers old Ithica 37, that was built in the early 40's. It won't extract any of the cheaper shells with aluminum rims, it has to be a brass rim. You may be having the same problem.

Hope this helps

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That’s relieving to know! I’ll switch to better ammo. I checked the chamber and it’s nice and smooth.

I’ve been wanting to check out the light recoil buckshot anyways, so I’ll pick up some of that.

Thanks for all the responses.

Tony.

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The cheap winchester low base 2-3/4" shells have been problematic for more than 12 years and perhaps much longer. About the only shotguns they seem to work in most of the time in have hard chrome chambers and bore.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithbc:
I have my grandfathers old Ithica 37, that was built in the early 40's. It won't extract any of the cheaper shells with aluminum rims, it has to be a brass rim. You may be having the same problem.

Hope this helps

Actually almost all shotgun shell bases are made of steel today. On the higher end shells they are plated with a thin coat of brass. Take a fridge magnet to the bottom of those “brass” shells and you will find it sticks.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I polish every 870 chamber I get my hands on. Cleaning rod in a drill with some steel wool.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Actually almost all shotgun shell bases are made of steel today.

Yes, easily demonstrated with a magnet and even on Federal “Premium tactical law enforcement” shells.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I went out yesterday for some recoil therapy and tried Federal target, Remington nitro and Herters buckshot shotgun shells. All of them cycled without a hitch and I ran it hard. I ran about 60 rounds and my shoulder reminds me that I did it.

I've been trying to build my pump shotgun cycling instincts so I've been practicing cycling the action as fast as I can after lighting off a round. I got to the point that I can shoot three shells in a second.

I can only do this if there's two in the tube and one in the chamber. Any more in the tube and and the magazine spring (new factory Remington) can't keep up. I think I'll order a Wolff extra power magazine spring and see if that changes anything.

Again, I'm not doing this to show I'm a badass, I'm just doing it to develop pump cycling instincts/muscle memory. I'd like to be able to shoot and not even realize that I've pumped and chambered a new shell.

So at this point, I'll conclude that it's reliable enough to designate as a true HD shotgun. I'll just stay away from Winchester.

Now I just have to pick a nice light recoil buckshot load and load up.

Thanks for the help guys!

Tony.

Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
I know I’m late to the party, but my buddy had a similar problem with his 870 Super Mag when shooting 3 1/2 shells. He took it to the gun store and they claimed they fixed it, but he kept having the issue.

I told him to let me have a look and see if anything jumped out as wrong. I’ve shot thousands of rounds through my 870 and cleaned it tons so what could it hurt?

Only thing I saw was the foregrip nut was really loose so I tightened it down really well. He never had the issue again. My best guess is since the foregrip was so loose it was allowing him to somehow torque the action arms enough that it didn't want cycle. I’m no gunsmith so take it with a grain of salt.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post