SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .22 Bolt Action - Barrel "Break In"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Bolt Action - Barrel "Break In"? Login/Join 
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted
I have a CZ 455 .22 Varmint that I would like to set up with attention to wringing out as much accuracy as possible at 200 yards. Small steel and shooting for groups. I understand the nuances of finding the right ammo/rifle combination, etc.

What are the Tribes thoughts on the process of seasoning (e.g. "breaking in") a .22 cal bolt action rifle? Necessarily? Helpful? Witchcraft???

If you think it is helpful, what process do you follow?

Thanks in advance. JRC

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have 4 CZ455's including a Varmint Precision Trainer. I don't do anytinhg to break in the barrel and all are exceptionally accurate for an out of the box factory rifle. Im not sure if they would be more accurate with breakin but they're accurate enough for me so I havent bothered.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Not necessary, in my opinion. Either the barrel is good, or not. Maybe shoot some fouling shots and then fire for effect.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the pressure, heat, or bullet hardness of a .22LR is sufficient to do anything but deposit lead in any imperfections. IMO, break in would add nothing.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only recommendation with the CZ is to clean all the packing gunk out of the barrel before using it.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...wthread.php?t=342208

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
All my target rifles came with instructions as to how to break in the barrel. That is all except the 22lr ones. You don't clean a 22lr all that often either. The cartridge doesn't have enough powder in it to really do any damage to the throat or rifling the way a center fire cartridge does.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Unless you are lapping it by hand, which I personally don't recommend, you cant really do much with a 22lr by trying to fire lap it.

My CZ came from the factory with an astonishingly smooth bore.

Just shoot it and enjoy.

Be aware that switching between different types of ammo with different wax lube on the bullets can cause the rifle to take a little time to settle in.

So don't shoot a 10 shot group of one ammo and then immediately shoot a 10 shot group of another ammo in your search for what ammo works best for your rifle.

My rifle likes Wolf Match Target, CCI subsonics, and CCI standard velocity.

CCI subsonics are my favorite for hunting.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
I have a CZ 455 .22 Varmint that I would like to set up with attention to wringing out as much accuracy as possible at 200 yards. Small steel and shooting for groups. I understand the nuances of finding the right ammo/rifle combination, etc.

What are the Tribes thoughts on the process of seasoning (e.g. "breaking in") a .22 cal bolt action rifle? Necessarily? Helpful? Witchcraft???

If you think it is helpful, what process do you follow?

Thanks in advance. JRC

In my experience of shooting for groups. Don't even waste your time with the cheap bulk pack ammo.

I don't think you have to buy Lapua Midas, but don't buy Remington Thunderturds either.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think you have to buy Lapua Midas, but don't buy Remington Thunderturds either.

This sounds like solid advice. Thanks.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I don't think the pressure, heat, or bullet hardness of a .22LR is sufficient to do anything but deposit lead in any imperfections. IMO, break in would add nothing.

I'm inclined along these lines. I think and $$$ to be made with accuracy is a bunch of ammo experimentation, trigger tuning, and quality glass. After that we can include practice.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
Even the benefits of "breaking in" a centerfire rifle (with formed copper jackets at high velocity) are debatable. With a .22LR, you are definitely not going to wear down any rough spots with low velocity lead and/or copper dipped bullets.

There are lots of good choices for mid-price .22, but CCI SV is probably the best value....if you can find it in stock. And there is certainly a point of diminishing returns with .22 ammo. A $60 brick of SK SP is going to be far more accurate than a $30 brick of Remington or federal. A $200 brick of Ely Tenex is not going to be "far" more accurate than the SK SP, but it should be slightly more accurate, and probably have fewer of the occasional fliers.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Shoot 50k through it would be a good start. Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
CZ says they lap their barrels

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DamageInc:
Even the benefits of "breaking in" a centerfire rifle (with formed copper jackets at high velocity) are debatable. With a .22LR, you are definitely not going to wear down any rough spots with low velocity lead and/or copper dipped bullets.

I'll go along with all that.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold: The cartridge doesn't have enough powder in it to really do any damage to the throat or rifling the way a center fire cartridge does.

I have a BSA Model 2 from 1910.

And a Walther Sport Model 2 from 1930.

And a Walther Sport from 1934.

And a Mauser ES35B from 1937.

And a BSA Martini from 1957, and another from 1962.

And an Anschutz from 1963.

None of them has any visible wear in their chambers, and most shoot a five-hole group at 50m with 'cooking' ammunition, even better with pricey stuff.

Whenever I clean any of them, accuracy goes down the pan for about 50 rounds, then starts to pick up again....

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post