SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Older Colt lower / newer Colt upper...will they fit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Colt lower / newer Colt upper...will they fit? Login/Join 
posted
I have a 1980's Colt Sporter II, fixed carry handle and pencil barrel. This is not a SP1 or SP2. Upper releases with a push pin in the back and a two sided flat head screw on the front. Will a new LE6920 complete upper fit on my old lower? Found one at a good price but can't try it before I buy...thanks in advance.

Posts: 394 | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluecoat:
I have a 1980's Colt Sporter II, fixed carry handle and pencil barrel. This is not a SP1 or SP2. Upper releases with a push pin in the back and a two sided flat head screw on the front. Will a new LE6920 complete upper fit on my old lower? Found one at a good price but can't try it before I buy...thanks in advance.

Please post some pics of both assemblies. Especially of the front pivot areas on both left and right sides.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My 1985-ish vintage HBAR Sporter has the two-sided screw in front. You can get a replacement screw that has an offset hole so that a newer upper can be mounted on it. I have one at home and have used it successfully. IIRC it only cost a few bucks.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
When you purchase current production complete Colt uppers (assuming they are new out of the box), they come with a small kit to make them work on the older, large pin hole lowers.

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Does your Colt lower have a sear block? If so might also have a problem with newer bolt carrier from the LE6920. Besides the issue with front pivot diameter.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you purchase current production complete Colt uppers, they come with a small kit

I've bought at least 5 complete in box current production Colt uppers and none of them came with these parts. I didn't need them so I don't care, but I would certainly verify this.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Commando upper last year and it came with the parts.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post