SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for some coyote deterrent, 300 blackout?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for some coyote deterrent, 300 blackout? Login/Join 
posted
I've never hunted anything before but I'd like an effective way to keep the coyotes away from our chickens and soon to be goats. The furthest any single shot would be is roughly 100 yards. Will 300 blackout be the most effective choice?

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
223/5.56 would be my choice unless you plan to suppress it.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Never thought to use 300. I've had no issues with a suppressed 22 bolt action for distance on coyotes. For up close, I use a suppressed 22 pistol. I can usually get two shots before the pack scatters. I've been doing coyote maintenance on night shift. They're not afraid of people or cars anymore.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it will be suppressed.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Never thought to use 300. I've had no issues with a suppressed 22 bolt action for distance on coyotes. For up close, I use a suppressed 22 pistol. I can usually get two shots before the pack scatters. I've been doing coyote maintenance on night shift. They're not afraid of people or cars anymore.

If .22 will work that would be great.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
quote:

If .22 will work that would be great.

22lr at 100 yards is pretty marginal for coyotes.

It depends on if you are more interested in cost of ammo or how quiet your setup is.

As far as killing coyotes supersonic 300blk doesn't offer much over supersonic 223.

For larger game like deer the 300blk has some advantages.

If you want subsonic ammunition because you desire a very quiet setup, then 300blk would be the way to go.

22lr certainly CAN kill a coyote but if you don't make brain shots I suspect you will wound a few as well. Not to discount the 22 entirely though, because they certainly can work as Chowser is getting along fine with his.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If 5.56 will work that will be great, have plenty of that on hand.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I only use the 22 bolt action less than 150 feet. Mainly in the cemetery where I can see what’s beyond. The pistol is for when they walk by my car. We’ve been having packs taking small dogs so we’re doing what we can in city limits. They’re based somewhere in the woods between the cemetery and our police station.

I’ve used the 22 pistol to put down raccoons as well.

This was a pistol shot for me (double this distance and I would’ve grabbed the rifle). Saw him wandering, opened the door, took his picture, he didn’t care then popped him. I hit him once with the 22. He ran towards the woods and we picked up the carcass a little bit later. I’m standing next to my patrol car. He didn’t care I was this close. A few days earlier he calmly walked between two moving cars.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
If 5.56 will work that will be great, have plenty of that on hand.
It'll work fine. Out to 3-400 yards or more. I've killed literally 100's of coyotes with .223/5.56 over the years.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!" ( Fletcher in The Outlaw Josie Wales)

Posts: 644 | Location: Wisconsin,USA | Registered: September 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys have said that a .22mag is a viable killer. 100 yards or less...

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Not knowing what is beyond your 100 yards and assuming that you will not be shooting towards another home, all AR-15 rifle calibers will be viable. They are small framed and it really doesn't take much to kill them. Personally, I like front shoulder shots so they don't walk away from me Wink Using FMJ ammo makes small holes in/out if you are planning to salvage the pelts. Don't suggest shoulder shots if you are doing that though Eek

Good luck and happy hunting!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
5.56 is cheaper and easier to find. I would go with that and I own a .300 blackout. It doesn't do what the 5.56 does and it doesn't do what 7.62X39 does. The only place it is interesting is with subsonic ammo. Everything else it gets beaten down.

I would use a 6.5 grendel. I have one and it is amazing. Unless you plan is to use subsonics for this.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
Guys have said that a .22mag is a viable killer. 100 yards or less...

Slight thread drift....
My one coyote kill in my life was a bitch that had drug a calf down behind the corral at my parents’ house. I was about 14 years old. It was winter time, about 25 degrees outside. I was in a nice, hot bath.
Mom comes running in the House “ITS A WOLF!!!”
I end up outside in a towel, still wet, propping a Marlin 983 on the side of the brick house. I only have iron sights, but I’m still really young and everything still works like it should. I have to sight between the pipe and sucker rod webbing of the cow lot. The coyote, hungry and probably nursing pups, has started eating the calf right where she made the kill. The first shot catches her right in the chest and apparently breaks her back. She is still moving when I walk up on her and put one behind her right ear.
The calf is a loss.
After finishing my bath, warming up and dressing for the weather, I step the distance off at 83 yards.

Posts: 6298 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only use the 22 bolt action less than 150 feet. Mainly in the cemetery where I can see what’s beyond. The pistol is for when they walk by my car. We’ve been having packs taking small dogs so we’re doing what we can in city limits. They’re based somewhere in the woods between the cemetery and our police station.

I’ve used the 22 pistol to put down raccoons as well.

This was a pistol shot for me (double this distance and I would’ve grabbed the rifle). Saw him wandering, opened the door, took his picture, he didn’t care then popped him. I hit him once with the 22. He ran towards the woods and we picked up the carcass a little bit later. I’m standing next to my patrol car. He didn’t care I was this close. A few days earlier he calmly walked between two moving cars.

I need a job with your agency.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
There is 3 kinds of coyotes. Residential coyote, coyote, and educated coyote. Residential coyote will have no problem grabbing fluffy 40 feet from where you are standing in the front doorway. Coyote will try to avoid anything bigger than itself most of the time. Educated coyotes often found on or near ranches and farms have been shot at by humans before or seen their brother killed. They are the worst and what you do not want. What ever you use make your shot count.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Have dumped lots of dogs with .223 50 grn vmax, suppressed
Although more tenacious than most folks believe, that combo puts the stop in now.

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1301 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in north Santa Rosa County, Fl. I have goats. There are coyotes all over the county.

1st - Blackout is fine, just use bullets that will expand in a coyote. 1st kill was with Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips. Had to hit the yote several times; bullets just zipped through without expanding (they expand fine on deer and hogs). Switched to Barnes 110gr blacktips designed for the Blackout. They expand readily on yotes, deer and hogs and penetrate well in deer and hogs...my go-to bullet now for supersonic Blackout hunting with all one shot kills.

2nd - The 1st night I had my thermal unit I went out into the goat pasture. I couldn't believe my eyes...coyotes just climbed over the fence and into the pasture like they didn't have a care in the world. I have a row of barbed wire at the bottom of the fence to discourage yotes from going under...they just climb up and over the fence...I had no idea! Even spotted one stalking my goats as they lay down for the night. I've now killed 6 yotes with the suppressed Blackout and have permission to kill them in all properties surrounding my little 3.5 acres of hobby retirement farm.

Haven't had a coyote problem for a while now, but this morning one ran across the road in front of my truck 1/4th mile from my house. Sounds like it's time for some more "night patrol" as my wife calls it. I enjoy looking around at night with the thermal. Lots of deer to watch too.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Saving my pennies for a scope similar to what Marzy uses when rat blasting. Suppressed 300 will be the main host but if I come across a deal on a 22 bolt it will get some work in as well.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Anything by the Acme company should work.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14033 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As an impartial observer on SF and some other forums it seems that suppressed subsonic .300 BO is the way to go.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post