SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone overcome cross-eye dominance for rifle just using a red dot?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone overcome cross-eye dominance for rifle just using a red dot? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
The entire reason I've headed to buying the MCX, and why I've stayed away from any long guns before, is my cross eye dominance. I found ways to deal with it before with tape on glasses. Anyhow a friend had me shoot his AR with an Eotech. I think it was a red dot but maybe a holographic site. In any case I was wondering if anyone that's cross eye dominant uses red dots to shoot with their dominant hand and non-dominant eye.

I'm thinking of the Romeo 5 or maybe the 5 XDR if I can find it in stock.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Red dots are going to be easier to shoot than iron sights for someone who's cross-eyed dominant. You don't need to try to fight the eye dominance. When shooting with a red dot, both eyes are open, and both eyes look at the target. One eye just does so through an optic and sees a red dot hovering over the target as well. Your brain then superimposes the red dot over the binocular view of the target in your mind.

(You can even achieve this same effect with the front lens of the red dot completely covered. One eye see the target, the other eye behind the optic sees a black backdrop with a red dot, and your mind still superimposes the red dot over even the single-eye view of the target... You just lose out on some situational awareness when doing this.)

Also, while the Eotech you used is a holographic sight, not a red dot specifically, they're used the same way as a red dot. A different technological method of achieving the same effect.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My son uses one and it works for him.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I'm strongly considering the Romeo 5 for my Scorpion. From what I've seen they are the best bang for your buck that's out there. I'm left eye dominant so I can't speak to your cross eye dominance but the Romeo 5 seems to be in stock most everywhere. Romeo 5
Now if I can just wrap my head around this whole MOA thing! Frown

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

What's your question?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have figured out how to be successful in training my eyes on red dots as well as shotguns. My shotgunning probably helped my non-dominant eye become more proficient. I shot clays with a small piece of tape over my dominant eye to slightly obscure my vision. That led my right eye to get over the barrel. Now all I have to do is a long blink on my left eye as I’m coming over the barrel on either a shotgun or the red dot and once my right eye takes hold it doesn’t let go. It took months of training with a shotgunning coach, motivated to stay ahead of my then 13 y/o son that was starting to kick my butt in clays. The biggest benefit was that it also worked on my rifles and red dots. While it works on my pistols, they have a tendency to bounce back and forth so I continue to shoot cross dominant. My hypothesis for this happening is because my head isn’t anchored to the stock like shotguns and rifles.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

What's your question?

Thank you but I don't want to derail frayedends thread. I will start a separate thread in regards to it to get some answers to questions soon.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Why not just shoot the rifle normally to your eye dominant side? You say you've 'stayed away from long guns before' now anyway, so you wouldn't have much to 'unlearn' and would probably adapt pretty easily. That said, you have not shared which is your dominant eye, and how you're shooting the rife (and handguns) which may be helpful in understanding any other issues, particularly firearm controls/manipulation.

As a example, in my case, I'm left eye dominant, but physically right hand dominant. I shoot a rifle lefty, and a handgun righty, and it seems VERY natural to me. Cool

I have shot a rifle left handed for as long as I can remember, even when that rifle was a stick I picked up for use as a sniper in the neighborhood war games as a kid! I also have greater 'fine dexterity' in my left hand, which gives me a better trigger finger as a left handed rifleman. While there are some rifles that just won't work for me as a lefty (bull-pups with right hand ejection are obviously an issue) it's not that many, and with an AR-15, it's almost a non-issue, as many are available w/ full-ambi controls, and if not, the controls are easily adapted to better suit my needs. That said, I do favor Piston Operated AR's, as I'm not a fan of gas to the face, which 'can' be an issue for a lefty w/ DI guns, especially the overgassed ones!

On the other side, I came to shooting handguns much later in life (well after my neighborhood war gaming days) and after I had become much more 'athletic' than when I was a young sniper. I naturally picked up the handgun right handed, and shoot it cross eye dominant from a bladed stance, moving the gun a little to the left and slightly cocking my head for better sight alignment.

Just something to think about....YMMV Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I've tried shooting lefty and it just doesn't work for me. I suppose with practice it could work. But the red dot worked well the one time I tried. I'm just hoping a $200 red dot will work as well as a $700 Eotech. I was hoping to get the Romeo 5 XDR as it has the dot and circle and I was thinking that may catch my eye better. But the XDR doesn't seem to be anywhere. The 5 is short money so I'll try with that. If I need better I'm sure I can sell it to a friend.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post