SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Frank Proctor sling for rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frank Proctor sling for rifles Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
I bought one thing on Amazon Prime day. A simple marpat brown proctor rifle sling. It was like $32 with free shipping.

Now I'll admit I was the guy who had parachute pants two years after they went out of style. I'm the guy who bought a Sony disc-man the year MP3 players came out. I'm the guy who didn't understand why people made fun of my mullet in 2004 (Just kidding, I've never had enough hair for a mullet). And once again, I feel like I missed the boat. I feel like an idiot for all the money and time I've wasted trying different slings. All that tactical, easy adjust, triple point, quick connect, no tangle, hang down bungee bullshit that I've tried over the years could have been avoided if I had just listened to a few good people who advocated the Proctor sling all along.

The people who talk them up were right. They're easy, they're awesome, they're light, and you can hook them to damn near anything.

If you need a sling to pack your rifle around. If you like a sling to secure your rifle to your person. If you like to use the sling to brace your rifle when shooting. If you're into light weight and easy, and you don't need your sling to have memory foam padding and fourteen attachment points and sweet rubbery nubs, and Bluetooth connectivity . . . try a Proctor.

Anyways, thanks to those here that have recommended them, and if you haven't tried one yet, give it a shot. Especially if you are a minimalist kind of shooter like me.

You'll be glad you did.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried one in person, but I checked them out online and watched a couple videos on them. Seems like a similar take to all the various adjustable 2 point slings out there, other than the included paracord loop attachments, which you can rig up yourself.

I do like Frank's stated reasons behind using the paracord loops versus metal attachment hardware with sling mounts. I may try rigging that up on one of my rifles to see how I like it. (That's been the attachment method of choice for the IDF for a while now.)

Personally, I prefer the Blue Force Gear VCAS 2 point adjustable slings. They're the best and most durable adjustable two point slings I've tried, and I now have one on every one of my defensive rifles. And they don't have rubbery nubs, complicated hardware, or Bluetooth, although they are available in a padded version (which is actually quite nice when used with something like a 10+ pound FAL or M1A... unpadded slings, especially those with thin webbing, get a might uncomfortable after a while when used with a heavy rifle).

Again, I haven't tried a Proctor sling in person yet, but I've used other slings in the past that were produced from similar slick, lightweight, thin nylon webbing. I ran into issues with this thinner nylon feathering/abrading along the edges while rubbing against things like chest rig/plate carrier shoulder straps and harder edges/corners of carried equipment. I'd have to use a lighter to burn the edges of the sling after every major use in order to reseal the nylon until the next time. That got old fast.

The thicker and tougher webbing used on the BFG VCAS, while every so slightly heavier in weight (the difference is negligible), doesn't have that issue. It's significantly more durable.

I hope the thin nylon used on the Proctor sling is of better quality than those other thin nylon slings I used before. IIRC, those other thin webbing slings were TAG and Spec Ops brand slings.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like my kind of sling. Just picked up one in Multicam black.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought one for a shotgun and am very happy with it.

Posts: 236 | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Frank Proctor sling works for a number of shooters in a number of applications. It's all about matching the shooter's needs. It sounds like the minimalist's approach is plenty good for the OP, and will be so for others.

Some of of have other needs. I demand QD mounts for all my slings. I don't like keeping slings permanently fixed to any given rifle, and I'm not willing to have one sling dedicated to each rifle. In competition, there are stages that getting rid of the sling lessens the chances for clusters, gun movement problems, and possibly even NDs. So even though I might carry a rifle for miles across varying terrain in a given day, the sling might come off for many of the stages.

I'm with RogueJSK -- Blue Force makes a nice sling, and I have one for my carbines. My heavier ARs and my precision rifles use TAB or FTW slings. TAB and FTW slings feature heavier & wider straps, additional adjustments, features which allow better stability in alternative shooting positions, and bungee shock absorbing systems. All nice features for competition rifles that weigh between 12 and 18 pounds.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Bionic, I had one on my Keltec Sub2000.
I'm going to get another one; its that's good, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Yep. It’s not the be-all answer to everything, as others have pointed out. Something different may be better for fully geared and armored LE, or for competitive shooters. But for the vast majority of what I need a sling for, this is exactly the ticket.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I like this sling. Simple and quiet. No large buckle or fasteners to deal with. Fits well in the gun safe.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Nice!