SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    1x Optic choices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1x Optic choices? Login/Join 
posted
An MPX is inbound so I am shopping for a non-magnified optic. This will be for PCC division. I am NOT looking for brand recommendations but, other than possibly cost, what are the shooting merits and drawbacks of standard red dot v holographic v prism sights?

Posts: 2273 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If you have astigmatism, prism sights may offer a better (less distorted) sight picture.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not totally sure your question. But if a normal red dot is usable for you the other two options are meaningless. Virtually everyone I have seen at a PCC match has a dot normally an aimpoint or MRO (with many cmores not to ignore it). The types vary of course. The holographic option asaik will be eotech. I love the reticle, but the historical facts are such that I will never own and use one. The 1x prism options only make sense attached to 1-x sights. Those are of course ok and depending on ranges needed a big plus, but seriously expansive if you don't need the rest of the range.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have three red dots. An Aimpoint PRO, Eotech EXPS, and a Romeo5.

I think the smaller dots look better on smaller guns, so the MPX has the Romeo.

I do have slight astigmatism so the Eotech's holographic starbursts less than the other two.

I honestly didn't know what a prismatic sight was, so I found this articlethat kind of explained the differences between the three.

For a PCC, I like the small red dots. I am, however, considering trying an RMR-style site on my MPX, too. Not sure how I'd like it, but I want to try it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a romeo 4h and like it quite a bit. Its held up on my patrol rifle mostly being constantly smacked around in a clamp mount.

I agree a prizm sight will be good with an astigmatism but fortunately I only have an astigmatism in in my left eye.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this informative. Beyond the astigmatism issue, it seems to be a matter personal preference, and maybe weight and size.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...ou-know-astigmatism/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex crossfire II 1x24. $57 on e-bay. They are discontinued,that is why they are so inexpensive. I liked them so much I bought 3 of them.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider is they behave differently with a magnifier. Do you plan to have one?

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oz, good point but I am not planning on a magnifier.

Anybody have experience with Holosun? Because I first saw them as an included-extra on AR packages I assumed they were junk. (I put them in the same mental-bin as an early Kia). They have some nice options and are not really that cheap, so I am wondering if they have improved or my opinion was wrong from the start.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I like the prism sights. If the battery goes, you still have the etched reticle.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I showed the Vortex 1x prism page to my father as he has astigmatism and most dots bloom for him. Does anyone here have experience with it?

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I showed the Vortex 1x prism page to my father as he has astigmatism and most dots bloom for him. Does anyone here have experience with it?

Yep...I've got the 1X as well as the 3X on on two of my ARs...very well pleased with both. Actually I use the unlit feature (the reticle shows up black) most of the time if I'm just bench rest shooting...the 1X is a circle/dot like a Eotech and is easy to pick up and use. When it is lit up it is bright enough for daylight use...

Reticle is clear and have had no issues with holding zero...

Just keep in mind that it is a scope and not a red dot...they set towards the rear of the rail to get proper eye relief and they don't co-witness like a red dot.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post