SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage 12 LRP rifle - any experience??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 12 LRP rifle - any experience?? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I had a Remington 700 LTR at one time, which, unfortunately, I not longer have.

At the FFL today they had a Savage 12 LRP rifle, lightly used, for $700. I read a few reviews, the model 10 in some configurations seems to review well on Sniper Central.

Has anyone had experience with them? They retail for about $1250, street price is about $1K or so. Is it worth it, or a pile or horse poop, as one person claimed on the Sniper Central forum?

Don't want to throw money away.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Looks like a no.

Any opinions on Savage rifles in general?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
I've had a Savage 10PC in 308 for a number of years and it is amazingly accurate. The accutrigger on mine is very easy to use and set for a very light pull. I can never let this rifle go as it is that accurate.

Depending on how you plan to use the rifle there are some downsides, depending on the model year. There is no way around saying that Savage magazines SUCK if you are looking for a higher capacity than stock.

For the average shooter, this may not be an issue. If you plan to shoot competitions requiring many shots at many targets while being timed, you'll need some higher capacity magazines. There is not a lot out there for the stock Savage bottom metal. Conversion to a different style mag receiver is expensive and not worth the extra cost when many other rifles come equipped to use AICS platform or other similar mags. I got my 10 round mags from Dark Eagle Custom at $100 ea. or there about.

If you are a hunter and four rounds are enough, this wouldn't even be a consideration. Very good shooters but lousy mag design in my opinion. That will be $.02 please.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Still debating. Seems to be little enthusiasm for the Savage.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Still debating. Seems to be little enthusiasm for the Savage.

I've had a 10FP Tactical in 308 since the model was first introduced in '98. Mine is pre accu-trigger and accu-stock but I outfitted it with both a trigger and stock from Sharp Shooter Supply. Damn thing is a tack driver. Couple of buddys have Savages too in various calibers and are very very happy.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Interesting. It seems mostly people either love em' or hate em'. Still debating. I expect it will be there for a while given the size of the rifle.

Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I own one Savage Rifle, Model 12FV in .223 and it's amazingly accurate.

If I were going to get another rifle, it would be a Savage! Cabela's has been running specials on the 12FV's.....and I so want to get one in .308, but I'm looking to buy a couple of handguns in the future.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor (logged a little over 2300 rounds so far). Excellent and accurate to 1000 yards, which is the furthest distance I have access to. 1 in 8 twist stabilizes the long 147 gn ELD Match bullets.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Accuracy out of the box, no tinkering for the most part, awesome shooters!! I am not a fan of their stocks as I always replace them with something more rigid. Lots of accuracy for the money. I also like the accu-trigger!

If you were the kid that played with an erector set, get a Remmy 700 and tinker.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
The range at which I shoot goes out to 300 yards. At least right now that is as far as I have access to shoot.