SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Trivia Question For Galil Fans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trivia Question For Galil Fans Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
I've been looking at the Galil AR and ARM kits over at APEX.

Does anyone know if the AR and the ARM barrels were made to the same dimensions, or was one somehow thicker in diameter than the other?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I've been looking at the Galil AR and ARM kits over at APEX.

Does anyone know if the AR and the ARM barrels were made to the same dimensions, or was one somehow thicker in diameter than the other?

I'm not sure if they made heavier barrels on either weapon - however my gut feeling is if they did it would be on the ARM models. These were designed for sustained fire in a squad automatic realm - and used larger mags, had thicker handguards etc. I have a 5.56 ARM, and they are pretty sturdy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That would make sense to me. I had assumed the barrels were the same diameter until I came across some random mention that hillbillyfirearms up in Tennessee made Galil barrels in different diameters.

Oddly enough, I don't seem to be able to find any other references to different barrel diameters. That's why I figured I'd come here and ask.

FWIW, I picked up an AR kit and may wind up getting an AR or ARM kit if they're still in stock at the end of the month. I want a Galil in 7.62x39 and figured it might be worthwhile to go with whichever version has a larger barrel diameter.

Then again, being the airhead I am, I'm now wondering whether a pair of ARs in 7.62x39 and 5.45 might be fun.

Those kits are dangerous. They suck you into spending money in order to find out how much money you're going to spend (and don't ask me how the CETME L project is going).

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Who do we like for Galil barrels? I saw these kits as well but haven't been able to turn up much for barrel makers.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The original IMI Galil AR and ARM barrels were made to the same contours. The barrels were chrome lined and made for IMI by Colt.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks!

Still looking for barrels, myself. My theory was that if I can find receivers, somebody must make barrels.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
That's where I am too....I didn't jump on a kit soon enough to score one of the limited barrels then have. Now that those are gone, it seems virgin barrels are nowhere to be found.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
That's where I am too....I didn't jump on a kit soon enough to score one of the limited barrels then have. Now that those are gone, it seems virgin barrels are nowhere to be found.

Fellow Northern Virginian! Let us know if you find anything, would be a fun project.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
The original IMI Galil AR and ARM barrels were made to the same contours. The barrels were chrome lined and made for IMI by Colt.

That was my recollection as well, but I wasn't aware that Colt made the barrels.

I'll have to do some checking when I can access my old hard drive so I can't be absolutely positive on this, but I seem to recall that either ORF or Hillbilly were using Green Mountain barrels on their builds, or at least one time were.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I can find a guy who can machine blanks if I have to go that route. I may have made this more difficult for myself by looking for barrels in odd calibers (for a Galil) and odd lengths ("it's a Galil - it's gotta have an 18" barrel, right?").