SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR 17 20" Barrels (in stock)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR 17 20" Barrels (in stock) Login/Join 
Picture of stormwalker
posted
SCAR 17 20" barrels still in stock at MGW.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com...ar-accessories/98818

Received mine today and look forward to the addition 150-200 fps it should produce. Big Grin

Posts: 544 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yikes, that's $5.70/fps! Looks good though.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
MK20 SSR Clone time?

Drool - except for the price tag of all things SCAR Frown

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
MK20 SSR Clone time?

More or less, the MK20 SSR has a heavier profile barrel with an addition 2 bolts securing it to the receiver.
I'm only averaging 2400 fps using a 168gr. loading from the 16.25" barrel and hope the extra 4" will to get me to 2600 fps.

Posts: 544 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

Thanks! It's only money, and I can't take it with me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormwalker:
quote:
MK20 SSR Clone time?

More or less, the MK20 SSR has a heavier profile barrel with an addition 2 bolts securing it to the receiver.
I'm only averaging 2400 fps using a 168gr. loading from the 16.25" barrel and hope the extra 4" will to get me to 2600 fps.

I'm curious what benefit you get with an extra 200 fps?

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
quote:
MK20 SSR Clone time?

I'm curious what benefit you get with an extra 200 fps?

A flatter trajectory and increased muzzle/kinetic energy, just about 10 inches of drop and 200 foot pounds of energy @ 500 yards.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Indeed.

Enjoy and post a pic. Dont know much about the SCAR, but am "SCAR curious".

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

From what I've seen, 2400 fps with 168 in a 16" is a touch on the slow side. IIRC roughly 2450 was what other students were seeing with FGMM 168. You might try a box of FGMM 168 or Hornady TAP 168 as a velocity base line.

Getting 200 fps out of 4 additional inches will be a tall order, which would be 50 fps per inch. There are a few ballistics by the inch type tests on the webz -- 20 to 30 fps per inch is more likely from a given 308 load.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

From what I've seen, 2400 fps with 168 in a 16" is a touch on the slow side. IIRC roughly 2450 was what other students were seeing with FGMM 168. You might try a box of FGMM 168 or Hornady TAP 168 as a velocity base line.

Getting 200 fps out of 4 additional inches will be a tall order, which would be 50 fps per inch. There are a few ballistics by the inch type tests on the webz -- 20 to 30 fps per inch is more likely from a given 308 load.

Agreed; there is not much ballistic data by the inch from the same platform, and 20-30 fps sounds reasonable from a given commercial loading. Speaking of Hornady, what do you think of their super performance line?

Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
quote:
quote:

Indeed.

Enjoy and post a pic. Dont know much about the SCAR, but am "SCAR curious".

Thanks! I will post a pic when the extended fore-rail arrives. The SCAR is a great modular carbine that allows quick barrel changes with minimal change to point of impact.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of Hornady, what do you think of their super performance line?

Superformance 308 increases MV about 110 fps for both their 168 and 178 grain bullets in my 23" Bartlein barrel. SDs are in the high single digits for both loads.

Below 50 degrees F with a cold gun the Superformance ammo performs nicely -- quite accurate at distance, no pressure signs.

Around 60-70 degrees F I see pressure signs -- sticky bolt, flattened primers, and difficult case extraction.

By 80-90 degrees F the pressure signs become intolerable -- almost all primers are blown, cases are very difficult to extract, opening my Defiance-action bolt takes a sharp blow with a gloved hand or a rubber mallet.

On Snipers Hide forum I've seen a Hornady-sponsored competitor state that Superformance ammo may a bit hot for semi-auto platforms.

I have maybe 5-10 rounds of Superformance 178 sitting in my basement. I will eventually shoot those rounds sometime during the winter months, but it's already too warm around here to risk shooting them in my rifle. I will never buy another box of Superformance again.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Speaking of Hornady, what do you think of their super performance line?

Superformance 308 increases MV about 110 fps for both their 168 and 178 grain bullets in my 23" Bartlein barrel. SDs are in the high single digits for both loads.

Below 50 degrees F with a cold gun the Superformance ammo performs nicely -- quite accurate at distance, no pressure signs.

Around 60-70 degrees F I see pressure signs -- sticky bolt, flattened primers, and difficult case extraction.

By 80-90 degrees F the pressure signs become intolerable -- almost all primers are blown, cases are very difficult to extract, opening my Defiance-action bolt takes a sharp blow with a gloved hand or a rubber mallet.

On Snipers Hide forum I've seen a Hornady-sponsored competitor state that Superformance ammo may a bit hot for semi-auto platforms.

I have maybe 5-10 rounds of Superformance 178 sitting in my basement. I will eventually shoot those rounds sometime during the winter months, but it's already too warm around here to risk shooting them in my rifle. I will never buy another box of Superformance again.

Great info, thanks for posting! I think that I will pass on the superformance as well.