SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Barrel material for an 18.5" M14 M25 platform
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel material for an 18.5" M14 M25 platform Login/Join 
Picture of PennSig
posted
With a choice between SS or chrome-moly, what are the pros and cons of each material. The intended use is a .308 CQB rifle. I am not much into doing a lot of long-range target shooting, but would be interested in putting an Aimpoint on the rifle.

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Posts: 806 | Registered: October 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Stainless. You can also have the barrel nitrided. I can help with this.

The accuracy edge using chrome moly is a moot point if you’re not striving for extreme accuracy. Use an M852 chamber.

Either one will serve you well whichever you decide.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony --

Is there a clear advantage in ease of cleaning a SS barrel vs. a CM barrel. Or is that a relatively moot point similar to what you said about the accuracy edge of CM?

Would an M852 chamber be what Krieger produces for LRB?

Bill

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PennSig:
Thanks Tony --

Is there a clear advantage in ease of cleaning a SS barrel vs. a CM barrel. Or is that a relatively moot point similar to what you said about the accuracy edge of CM?

Would an M852 chamber be what Krieger produces for LRB?

Bill

A stainless will clean up quicker. I’m not sure what chamber LRB uses but I can ask. Lou (owner of LRB) and I have a good relationship.

Do you intend on ever using iron sights? If not, you can go with a Bula XM21 receiver which has top Picatinny rails and no rear sight pocket. It’s much cheaper than the LRB M25 receiver.

This is a Bula XM21 with an 18” barrel and a carbon fiber stock.

Please go into more detail about your vision for this rifle. (Weight, stock, accuracy expectations, chassis system or bedded composite, etc...)

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
I have 5.56 ARs and a couple 22" LRB M14s. I was interested in a shorter version of the M14, and yes, I would always want iron sights as a backup if the red dot goes down. And I prefer a standard stock as the rail of the M25 would hold any attachments.

Given your knowledge of the M14, how do you see the muzzle break vs. the standard flash hider for an 18.5" M14?

Thanks, Bill