SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The BEST 100 yard 5 shot group I haver ever shot in my 65 years...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BEST 100 yard 5 shot group I haver ever shot in my 65 years... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
I will freely admit I am no precision marksman (never have been)...I have always been pretty much a "minute of deer vital area" (think Remington 742 .308 carbine w/Weaver K4W) or a Cowboy Action steel kinda of shooter...

Long story short...I recently purchased a Leupold VX Freedom 4-12X40 (to replace the Redfield 2-7) which I mounted on the .223 Wylde AR build from last year...today I went to my range to sight it in...

This is the result Big Grin...

100 yards at 12 power...shot from the Magpul bipod with a sandbag rest under the rear stock...NORMA 55 grain...I am pleased...I did this in front of other people!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, that is a really good group for any AR.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Nice. Measure center to center. It’s tighter than .9. It feels good to shoot sub 1” @ 100.

I am dabbling with accurate ARs now. I’ve always had a sub moa Rem 700 .308, but up until recently ARs were for blasting away. Now I’ve gotten bit by the AR bug. I have a sub moa AR but it has a 1-6 on it now it hat makes it more practically accurate, but a little harder to shoot below moa. It’s still pretty easy to shoot 1.1-1.3.

I forgot to add what I did this last weekend. I put a 3x9 VXR on the pig to test some ammo and try the 1 moa all day challenge. Somehow I forgot to tighten the ring screws on the right side. The scope was tight enough that it didn’t visibly move but I was shooting 5”-6” groups horizontally. I though the scope was bad, messed up barrel you name it. Didn’t find it till I got home. William of Occam was squirming in his grave. I’m usually very meticulous about torquing mounts and rings so it never occurred to me to check. I also did this “ in front of people”.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This build (which was my first upper/barrel)...

.223 Wylde Ballistic Advantage 18" one in eight inch twist Hanson profile SS barrel w/pinned gas block...

VG6 muzzle brake (Ballistic Advantage)...

AERO Enhanced upper (the hand-guard attachment is forged into upper requiring an AERO hand-guard) w/ proprietary barrel nut (and included barrel nut wrench)...

Toolcraft BCG...

AERO 12" hand-guard...

Ballistic Advantage stripped lower...

AERO LPK, buffer tube and carbine weight buffer...

Rock River 4.5# National Match trigger...

Everything except the BCG and trigger group are AERO or Ballistic Advantage (same company)...this was a very good build Smile

The Leupold Freedom 4X12 is very clear with a good reticle (the reticle is less "busy" in the center than the former Redfield ranging reticle (which I still like)...IMHO it's a bargain at less than $300 (with me being a cheap bastard and all Wink)

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
damn good

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Nice. Measure center to center. It’s tighter than .9.

Yep. You have to subtract bullet diameter. That's a 0.7" group.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16346 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Nice group. I used a Ballistic Advantage barrel on my Black Friday upper. I’m very pleased with its accuracy as well.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Nice. Measure center to center. It’s tighter than .9. It feels good to shoot sub 1” @ 100.

Easiest way to measure center to center, without having to guess at true center, is to measure outside edge to the same outside edge at the other end.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
That's a nice group there!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I will freely admit I am no precision marksman (never have been)...I have always been pretty much a "minute of deer vital area" (think Remington 742 .308 carbine w/Weaver K4W) or a Cowboy Action steel kinda of shooter...

Long story short...I recently purchased a Leupold VX Freedom 4-12X40 (to replace the Redfield 2-7) which I mounted on the .223 Wylde AR build from last year...today I went to my range to sight it in...

This is the result Big Grin...

100 yards at 12 power...shot from the Magpul bipod with a sandbag rest under the rear stock...NORMA 55 grain...I am pleased...I did this in front of other people!

You have every right to be pleased, that is truly excellent shooting. Keep it up and send more pictures.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice!! Keep practicing.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz: Easiest way to measure center to center, without having to guess at true center, is to measure outside edge to the same outside edge at the other end.

Actually, center-to-center is easiest measured from the outside edge of one bullet to inside edge of the farthest bullet

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Nice group.

Thanks for the follow up with components. Interesting to see what you used. I noticed a number of things on the list that I consider to be important for accuracy so it is nice to see my bias confirmed. Wink

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always nice to achieve a personal best. The next step is to shoot that way consistently.

Just curious -- is this Norma 55 grain FMJ ammo? If so, it may be quite awhile before a similar group occurs.
And if accuracy is your goal and you're currently shooting FMJ bullets, I recommend using quality varmint or match ammo.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fritz...it is FMJ...the next time I venture out to visit a couple of gun stores (after this silly season shopping is over) I plan on picking up a box or three of match ammo...
Also, a friend in Atlanta told me if I stop by the next time I'm down he will give me a couple of boxes of Hornady 53 grain HP bullets to hand load Cool

This could be addicting Big Grin

Jimmy Buffet

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Fritz...it is FMJ

I haven't shot Norma's 55 FMJ, but I have shot many other brands of FMJ. I've yet to see FMJ bullets that consistently shoot with any great accuracy. It is possible that the stars and the moon aligned perfectly, and the inherent randomness of FMJ impacts worked in your favor for this particular group. Have you seen much larger and much more random groups with this Norma ammo?

And what other types of ammo have you used in a similar setup, and what were their results on target?

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting but I'm surprised nobody said 'But you missed the orange circle four out of the five shots'.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
he's a baaaad man...

Big Grin

nicely done

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Congrats, man!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fritz...that outing yesterday was the first I have used the NORMA in this rifle...I ordered 400 rounds from Brownell's earlier this year on sale with a discount code. The rifle (and I will add that I am impressed with that BA barrel) has grouped Federal AE really good at 100 and even out to 200 yards (if I really take my time)...but this NORMA TAC-223 is good stuff (I wish I had bought more)...this is another pic I took after I sighted the scope in before I shot at the orange sticky spot...and yes, I will agree that the stars lined up just right Big Grin...that's a 3" black sticker from a roll I bought over Amazon...

Jimmy Buffet