SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR “Billet” lower vs. Standard Lower - Any significant advantages of the Billet over the cast/forged?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR “Billet” lower vs. Standard Lower - Any significant advantages of the Billet over the cast/forged? Login/Join 
posted
I am looking at purchasing a new AR-15 rifle and I very interested in the Springfield Armory AR...

The one I am really interested in is the 2019 released SA Saint Victor but I see that they also have their Edge model that has a Billet lower...Any feedback on the SA Victor or the SA Edge and/or a Billet vs. Non-Billet lower is appreciated...Thanks Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I don’t think it really matters; millions of standard non-billet lowers bears this out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
There are cast lowers out there, although I’ve never seen one. Not as “tough” as a billet or forged lower. I wouldn’t buy one.

Billet is 100% milled from extruded (or forged) aluminum bar stock, usually 6061, which is not as hard as 7075. IMHO, just a way to get the end user to spend extra money. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Many newer billet lowers are now made from forged 7075 stock.

Billet lowers might get extra points for the cool factor or better aesthetics, but generally offer no additional functionality.

Forged lowers are usually 7075 aluminum, forged to a near-net shape and then finished with milling.

All the above will work.

My preference is “mil-spec” 7075-T6 lowers, uppers, and receiver extension tubes.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
"Non billet" means forged, most AR lowers are forged. Some are cast.

The cast/forged/billet issue has greater importance in other firearms and parts. In the case of an AR lower, first, you're not all that likely to run into a cast lower.

The AR lower sees almost no wear. Particularly in a semi-auto gun. The wear a lower does see, is fire control pins egging out the holes in the lower. This happens in guns that see a lot of automatic fire.

AL is not a strong material. between a cast or forged lower, it boils down to machined tolerances, and how it fits with other parts.

It's not something you _need_ to worry about. It is optional.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Some billet lowers have slightly altered geometry which will prohibit the use of some magazines like the Magpul D60.
I don't recall which ones but I have seen that reported before.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
If you are looking to build a special rifle with an ambi selector, ambi mag release, and an ambi bolt release, then consider a billet lower. As you will usually find those features (especially the ambi bolt and ambi mag releases) exclusive to billet lowers.

Outside of that, a forged lower will be just fine (and weigh a little less, also).

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the Springfield ARs. Never shot one, never handled one.

I have both billet and forged uppers/lowers. Both work fine. The billet models seem a nicer aesthetically.

I will note that my most accurate AR-10 and AR-15 are billet builds, however they also have my best barrels -- Kriegers. I suspect the barrel quality is more important to the great accuracy than the type of upper/lower.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I will note that my most accurate AR-10 and AR-15 are billet builds, however they also have my best barrels -- Kriegers. I suspect the barrel quality is more important to the great accuracy than the type of upper/lower.

Some investigation has been put into added rigidity in the area of the upper receiver which surrounds the barrel extension. It is less important than a good barrel and good ammunition but I have seen it asserted that some billet uppers may offer some accuracy gains due to additional beefiness in this area.

I believe the video I saw was done by Glen Seekins.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
For me: I will not buy a cast lower.

I would be happy with either a billet or forged. Only real difference for me is that billet lowers are CNC'd from a block so they have some different things you can do to them (e.g. integrated trigger guard, different aesthetic cuts, etc). Zero difference in strength between billet and forged for me. Having said that, I don't any billet lowers simply because I don't see it worth paying extra for some fancy CNC work.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
is anyone still making a cast lower?

Essential Arms and some very early DPMS lowers are all I can recall

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I've ever even seen an actual cast lower for sale. Any quality gun is going to have either forged or billet lower. The only difference is the billets can look nicer. Quality and strength wise you'll never notice a difference. I've read forged is stronger but it's not something that would make any difference in a lower. I wouldn't spend extra money for s billet lower unless it was for aesthetic reasons and I've always been more of a function over form sort of person.

Posts: 140 | Location: NW Kansas | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post