SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR Barrel, having trouble finding one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Barrel, having trouble finding one Login/Join 
posted
I'm slowly building an AR. Got a bunch of stuff on sale, and am going to do a 100% myself build.

I can't find the barrel I think I want. I want an 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system, and would like it to be a heavy profile. Would prefer nitride, but am open to chrome lined or stainless, and would like it to be a reputable manufacturer.

For those who will ask, I just want something I've put together myself, and I like the idea of a very soft shooting rifle, and this seems to be the way to go. Probably mostly paper punching, but also something I can eventually use to teach my girls on.

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a barrel with your exact specs.

http://ballisticadvantage.com/...ce-barrel-ops12.html

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's your budget?
Where have you looked already?
What's your preference for chamber and twist rate?

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rln_21:
Here is a barrel with your exact specs.

http://ballisticadvantage.com/...ce-barrel-ops12.html

Same barrel, with a coupon for 25% off.

http://www.monmouthreloading.c...ter_barrel-length=18

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 871 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. Literally anyone I would buy a barrel from has this on a quick internet check. I didn't check availability so maybe it's that issue? Who did you look at that didn't have it as that might give some idea of your price point. Any top tier vendor has this.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who have responded.

Rln_21, that is a pretty solid option, and one I think I will probably go with. And RobLew, thanks for the heads up about Monmouth. They are good people there, ordered from them before.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
What's your budget?
Where have you looked already?
What's your preference for chamber and twist rate?

Thanks for responding fritz. Budget is ideally up to 250. I'm not that spectacular of a shooter, so realistically any barrel will be more accurate and precise than I am. I have looked at Palmetto, Primary Arms, and DSG. Nothing there really jumped out at me they just seemed too cheap or not what I was looking for. Chamber is either 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde, I like the interchangeability of ammo. Twist is up for grabs.

hrcjon, as this is not a project to which I am accustomed, I do not know the usual sources and what 'top tier vendors' have, hence the query.

Posts: 796 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I've switched most of my AR barrels out to AR15 Performance. Accuracy with 69 gr (or similar weigth) bullets is around .5 MOA. His bolts are the best out there. If purchased with a barrel, he'll make sure it's headspaced. He's got 18" mid weight rifle gas barrel that is melonite treated with 5/8 threads. I got the same barrel for my 3 Gun AR:

http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/48676

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ed308,

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat:
5.56, 18" rifle length, stainless, 1/8 twist, threaded
2 models -- 39 ounces and 41 ounces
$275

Brownells -- Criterion:
wylde, 18" rifle length, stainless, 1/7 twist, threaded
$240 -- 42 ounces

Fulton Armory is a good source, but they're out of 18" barrels right now.

From a quick google search, during a morning glass of OJ. Barrel options are out there.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post