SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 12 Chamber Sizes (12 Gauge)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 12 Chamber Sizes (12 Gauge) Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Someday I will own a model 12. Every six months or so I go looking for an old Winchester Model 12, no real reason, I just want one. I've been looking around recently and found one that said it had a 2.5" chamber (it was a 12 gauge). I didn't even know that 2.5" 12 gauge shells were a thing. One online reference (wikipedia) says that 12 gauge before 1927 had a 2.5" chamber. Do they make 2.5" 12 gauge shells today? Can the chamber be opened up? Most likely when I do decide to scratch my Model 12 itch I'll make sure it has the 2 3/4" chamber but I was curious. I just assumed that all of the 12 gauges would be 2 3/4" at least.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbinky,

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do make 2.5" 12 ga shells today; not that difficult to find if you order them..... BUT: The Model 12 in 12 gauge was always chambered for the 2.75" shells (and later 3-inch shells in the Heavy Duck variant).

The 20 gauge was the first model offered and was chambered for 2.5" shells; after 1925 2.75" chambers became standard. Early 16 gauges had 2 9/16" chambers until 1927, when 2.75" chambers became standard.

(Source for the above information is "The Winchester Model Twelve" by George Madis.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have two Model 12s, a 16 ga & a family pass-down 20 ga. There seem to be a fair amount around for sale, easy to find.

For the little I use mine, they’ve been fine, light duty grouse hunting.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I think it's a combination of the looks and the history that draws me to this model. I've toyed with the idea of picking up one and chopping the barrel down to 18.5" or so. There are so many that had the polychoke or similar installed I wouldn't feel too bad about lopping it off. When I used to stop in KTP in Maine I saw these all over the racks (many with the choke, must have been popular back in the day). Good prices, just never grabbed one.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 20 gauge Model 12 with a fired case from a 2 3/4” Federal Game Load firmly stuck in the 2 3/4” chamber. I’m gonna have to try to jar it loose with an improvised range rod, I guess. Apparently the tight chambers and forcing cones on some of these old guns can cause problems with modern folded crimp/steel base shot shells.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I currently have a 20 gauge Model 12 with a fired case from a 2 3/4” Federal Game Load firmly stuck in the 2 3/4” chamber. I’m gonna have to try to jar it loose with an improvised range rod, I guess. Apparently the tight chambers and forcing cones on some of these old guns can cause problems with modern folded crimp/steel base shot shells.

it will,

they were cut for paper shells without the folded crimps,

ditto the chokes/bores, made when felt ruled, not the more modern cupped shot collars or whatever they are called,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I love the Winchester Model 12's.
I have a few, but my favorite is a family gun from 1936, 16ga with a solid rib, and it's in beautiful shape with good honest wear from being carried a lot and shot during hunting seasons at pigeons & pheasant. Being a 1936 gun it has 2 3/4" chambers.

But, I have a 1920 M12 (on loan to my youngest son in Virginia), also a 16ga and it has 2 1/2" chamber. I get shells from RST in 2 1/2. Yes they are more money that std 2 3/4" shells, but we are not shooting skeet events with the gun. A few boxes of 7.5 shot for clays and a few boxes of 7/8oz loads in #6 do the trick nicely on pheasants and don't beat up the gun.
http://www.rstshells.com/store...1200-7/8-oz-Box.aspx

The 16ga guns are on the 20ga size frame and are a pleasure to carry all day in the woods.

Here's last years guns ready to go for some pheasants with the 1936 "Gramps" gun getting some field time.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post