SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Magpul 60 round drum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magpul 60 round drum Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
PSA has them for $99 with their in house coupon.

I have a few PMAGs and was thinking about these drums. I have some couplers for the mags but it creates an imbalance of sorts.

I remember reading about them here a few months ago with limited feedback.

Wondering if anyone has any recent experience.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I have two of them.
They’re a bit of a pain in the butt to load.. but i’ve had zero functional problems

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
No function issues, just feels very cheaply made !

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Not a new report, but mine will not lock back the bolt on any Colt lower I own. I've tried it in about five different ones, ranging from a pre-ban R6551 to a 2013 6720. It's fine in my LMT's and my two NoDak's. I bought it when they first came out so maybe something changed. I sent Magpul an email and never heard back so it sits in the back of the closet. Someday I might revisit it but for now it's a novelty.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zero functional issues with mine, but they are so much more time consuming to load than normal mags that I very rarely use them.

For regular range or plinking use, put a +5 extension on a 40 round pmag and get 45 rounds of flawless function with easy loading.

Having said that if you want flawless performance from one 60 round mag, they'll certainly do that. And I think you can get a better deal than that if you are also looking for a bcg. They run a sale with a bcg and mag for $129, I think?

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I picked one up with the bcg sale.
It has been 100% reliable, but as others have said it is a PITA to load.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I researched this, even bought one of these magazines. I returned it.

Get yourself one of these:

https://www.magpul.com/product...ler-pmag-30-40-ar-m4

You can link two Pmags and have the same number of rounds on board. The assembly is modular, meaning you can change out a component if need be. You can also unlink the magazines and have two plain old 30 rounders again. Two Pmags coupled together weigh less than the drum, cost less than the drum, and are conceivably and for obvious reasons more reliable than the drum.
When locked into the rifle, the left of the pair of magazines sits high on the rifle and you can protect the rounds in that magazine by keeping the dustcover locked into place.

I've moved away from Pmags these days, but the maglink makes for a really reliable and slick setup. Compared to other magazine coupling systems, Magpul's is by far the best IMO.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para - what's your preference in AR magazines?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had two. Sold them. Even had the 40 round pmags. Sold them too. The drum mag will not work with 300blk.

I have the Surefire 60 round mag and I prefer it over the drum mags.

Also the drum mag works in my X95 but gets in the way.

I'm pretty much regular 30 and 20 round mags.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Para - what's your preference in AR magazines?
Okay and Lancer

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have three of the drum mags. I got them when PSA was having deals where they threw one in with an order of 1k 556 rounds. They're a fun novelty. Mine have all worked without any issues.

I have not tried 300 blk in them but now I'm curious.

I also have a handful of the magpul 40 rounders. They work great. Those I have used a lot in my X95 in 300 blk. No issues with either caliber.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surefire 60 round lover here. Not had a misfire yet. I bought some 100 rounders but don't like using them. Too big. The 60's are the length of a magpul 30 rounder. Haven't used the Magpul 60 drum yet, was looking to get one as I remember Para speaking fondly of them, good to catch his post right upthread on returning it before I did though. Have too many Surefires as it is though, for extended round mags.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've had nothing but success with mine. I'd stick with PMAG 30 rounders if you want dead nuts reliability from a Magpul product, though.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post