SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Carlos Hathcock's first rifle...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carlos Hathcock's first rifle... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Very cool, thanks for posting.

I learned to shoot with a Marlin 39A and can't tell you how many tin cans were knocked off by that rifle.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very cool. My first rifle was the exact same one, an old single-shot Savage (might have been marked Savage-Stevens, not sure). It’s definitely enough to learn on. I’m no Hathcock, though. Wink

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My first gun was a .22, a Marlin model 60. I was amazed at its accuracy. Im convinced that every shooter that starts off with a .22 will be a better shot in the end. 93 Confirmed Kills is one of my favorite books.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My father's first rifle, and the first rifle I ever shot. (the earlier version)

(I thought Hathcock's first rifle was a Mauser with the barrel plugged?)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of those, but it's a Springfield 120 A. Older brother got one for his 13th Christmas in the '60s, picked mine up at a show much later. I let him borrow it for a little deja vu and quality time with his daughter.

Edit; many thanks Tac for the link, one commenter noted production codes for Savage Arms made before 12/1968...my little rifle was made in 1968.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
J Stevens Arms Springfield Model 15. I had to replace the cocking "knob" so that it not original or correct for that model. They don't come much simpler.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a JC Higgins branded one. Bought via the sears catalog way before I was around. It was my father's and my first gun. If I had to get rid of my guns it would be the last to go. I still shoot it regularly.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post