SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me turn my screw up into a new AR build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me turn my screw up into a new AR build Login/Join 
Picture of doublecorona
posted
My current AR pistol is has a Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel, 7.5" Thordsen cheek weld kit and a Noveske Flaming Pig flash suppressor (not pinned and welded). Not including the Pig, it comes in .75" under 26" OAL. As I understand it, Michigan law requires AR pistols not to exceed 26"

In wanting a more compact set up for travel, I ordered a Law Tactical folding adapter. After ordering, I realized I would be over the 26" limit. After some web searches, there is no difinitive conclusion if you measure the pistol folded (you can still fire one shot folded.). Not willing to roll the dice, I ordered a SB Tactical SBPDW brace to make up some space. At 2am (insomnia is a bitch) my dumb ass didn't see the obviuos lack of compatibility with the brace and folder.

A 9" barrel would work with the folding adapter and Thordsen kit. So my plan is to put the SB brace on my AR pistol and do a new AR pistol with the Law Tact and Thordsen combo. A new lower is on the way.

This build will be for the few times I travel and need it to fit in a backpack set up. Do I go .300 Blackout or stay with 5.56? If .300BO, what size barrel should I go with? I have plenty of 5.56 ammo and 0 .300BO. I'm willing to buy 500 rounds of practice and 500 rounds of self defense ammo in .300BO. Most of my training will be with 10.3 5.56 pistol.

Any and all advise is appreciated.

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PHC
posted Hide Post
Just move to a state without stupid gun laws

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s your ability to lay your hands on 1000 rounds of .300 BO right now?

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
I can get .300BO now. It's not cheap, but willing to pay for it. I'm not going stock up on it until prices come down. I just want enough to prove out the build (500 rounds of practice, 290 self defence) and 7 mags full of self defence

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I would go 9" barrel with pistol gas system in 300 BO. It's what the round was designed for. 5.56 loses too much velocity in the shortest barrels.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I would go 9" barrel with pistol gas system in 300 BO. It's what the round was designed for. 5.56 loses too much velocity in the shortest barrels.

Bruce

Thank you, Bruce. Do you think 7.5-8" barrel would be too short for 300BO?

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The 9" is optimal for subsonic. Slightly shorter wouldn't change much. If it's for serious purposes, I would go with this barrel
https://www.primaryarms.com/fn...n=21_03_AD28_InStock

But it's no good if you're not going to take it with you because it doesn't fit your carry plan. Any gun that is with you beats a better gun at home.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
You could also change specs and sell the LAW folder in favor of something like this:
https://mvbindustries.com/prod...arc-stock-multi-pos/

Very short and well made. SB also makes a fairly short PDW stock.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli