SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt LE6933 ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt LE6933 ? Login/Join 
posted
So should have done this a long time ago, but finally looking to take the plunge on an SBR. I have a trust (set up locally), and was looking to buy an SBR off the shelf. From my limited research, it appears the Colt LE6933 is (was?) a solid choice. Given the state of the recent Colt transition I wasn't sure if this was still the case or not. On the auction site you can pick one up for around $1200 or so which seems to be a solid buy.

So my questions are is this still a good choice for SBR? If so, do I just purchase it online and then wait for the transfer to my Form 3 dealer, and submit my papers for a Form 4 and wait? Or would the collective suggest something else?

Thanks guys.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
94- Check out the Colt LE6945....I went with the LE6945 and have been very happy with mine...I had a Colt LE6920 and used rhat lower as my SBR that I registered through an E-Filing before the 41P went into effect under my trust. Once I received mt stamp I sent out my lower for engraving and purchased a LE6945 complete upper on line....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6933, 6943, and 6945 are all great options from Colt. I have two 6933 and a 6943. The only downside to the 6943 and 6945 are the fact that you are stuck with a picatinney rail fore-end. It doesn’t bother me as I like pic rail fore ends. Not a big deal and the 694x are very unique, soft shooting rifles.

Best place to buy has typically Clyde Armory in GA. Ratworx is also good. You buy from out of state FFL/SOT, they submit form3, transfer to your in-state dealer. Then you fill out/submit form4 to transfer from your in-state dealer to your trust.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yup, 6933 is a solid choice. Nothing holds its value like a Colt.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, need to check with my FFL to see if he is capable of taking this transfer or if I need to look elsewhere.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Once you get a SBR, you can put a 9" 300 blackout upper on it or any caliber you choose. It spreads the cost of the 6933 over more calibers.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
Thanks guys, need to check with my FFL to see if he is capable of taking this transfer or if I need to look elsewhere.

If your FFL does not also have a SOT to deal in title-2 firearms, you’ll need to seek out another. Personal Defense and Handgun Safety in Raleigh is who I recommend.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have a 6933 and highly recommend getting you get one.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
To save some money, you can opt to purchase it as just a complete lower and buy the upper, once the stamp clears. It will get the paperwork going and then you can start collecting uppers for it, in any caliber and barrel length you like.
Since it's a factory SBR, no engraving required. Just remember that you always have to keep an 11.5" upper around, since that's the registered configuration.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah given the price the complete lowers are going for (then the upper), it's actually less to buy the complete SBR. There are actually several right now on the auction board for ~1100 complete. Need to get some items listed this weekend to get funds up!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
To save some money, you can opt to purchase it as just a complete lower and buy the upper, once the stamp clears. It will get the paperwork going and then you can start collecting uppers for it, in any caliber and barrel length you like.
Since it's a factory SBR, no engraving required.

Factory SBR is always preferable. At $1100 for a factory Colt sbr it's a no brainer.

quote:

Just remember that you always have to keep an 11.5" upper around, since that's the registered configuration.

Bruce

This is not correct. That said, it would be foolish to sell off the original upper from a factory colt SBR.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that you must always be able to return the SBR to the registered configuration, on demand or inspection so you must possess an upper in the barrel length listed on your stamped form.
I would be happy to learn otherwise but can you cite your source, hopefully with a link to ATF?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
quote:
My understanding is that you must always be able to return the SBR to the registered configuration, on demand or inspection so you must possess an upper in the barrel length listed on your stamped form.
I would be happy to learn otherwise but can you cite your source, hopefully with a link to ATF?

Bruce

On demand or inspection by whom? ATF? That’s not how it works. I don’t have a source to give you, because unless something has recently changed, there is no law or ruling requiring what you are saying. Anything not forbidden by law is permissible.

Interestingly this exact topic is being discussed on arfcom.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Ar...-question/51-484286/

posted Hide Post
UPDATE: Once the Class III transfer goes through from rat worx, it will be at my FFL for me to submit my Form 4 and wait. $1,115 shipped to my FFL, that was a screaming deal!

posted Hide Post
quote:

This is my understanding, too. It's based on my starting with a Wilson Combat 16" barrel 5.56 AR-15 rifle, then getting an SBR tax stamp for it a number of years after the original AR-15 purchase.

I had the paperwork reviewed by the FFL that I purchased the original Wilson from. I have also purchased 3 suppressors through this shop. I purchased an 11.3" barrel Wilson upper in 300 blackout. We filled out the paperwork for an upper with a minimum barrel length of 8" (IIRC) in 300blk. I was told by the shop that I could buy and sell uppers at will in the future for the soon-to-be SBR lower, but I had to keep an upper in 300blk with a minimum barrel length of 8".

My SBR paperwork didn't go through smoothly with the ATF. Evidently their list of firearms was foggy on Wilson's carbines, so my paperwork was rejected twice. The ATF agent for my case suggested that I take cell phone pictures of both sides of the receiver, send them to her, then we would discuss the issue over the phone. Upon reviewing the pictures, she realized the ATF database didn't include my Wilson AR-15 model. All was good, and my SBR paperwork was returned approved in a few days.

During the phone conversation with the ATF agent, I asked about a pinned 14.5" LWRC 5.56 upper that I just won at a rifle match. I wanted to confirm that the pinned flash hider could be removed, that another detachable suppressor mount could be attached, and if any additional paperwork was necessary for a soon-to-be second SBR upper. She stated that no additional paperwork was necessary -- only that I needed to keep the upper described in my original SBR paperwork (minimum 8" barrel 300blk) for the entire time I wished to keep this Wilson lower classified as an SBR.

So I'm a newby in this area. I can't cite legal documents, or line-by-line information. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But the above is what I've experienced.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

This is my understanding, too. It's based on my starting with a Wilson Combat 16" barrel 5.56 AR-15 rifle, then getting an SBR tax stamp for it a number of years after the original AR-15 purchase.

I had the paperwork reviewed by the FFL that I purchased the original Wilson from. I have also purchased 3 suppressors through this shop. I purchased an 11.3" barrel Wilson upper in 300 blackout. We filled out the paperwork for an upper with a minimum barrel length of 8" (IIRC) in 300blk. I was told by the shop that I could buy and sell uppers at will in the future for the soon-to-be SBR lower, but I had to keep an upper in 300blk with a minimum barrel length of 8".

My SBR paperwork didn't go through smoothly with the ATF. Evidently their list of firearms was foggy on Wilson's carbines, so my paperwork was rejected twice. The ATF agent for my case suggested that I take cell phone pictures of both sides of the receiver, send them to her, then we would discuss the issue over the phone. Upon reviewing the pictures, she realized the ATF database didn't include my Wilson AR-15 model. All was good, and my SBR paperwork was returned approved in a few days.

During the phone conversation with the ATF agent, I asked about a pinned 14.5" LWRC 5.56 upper that I just won at a rifle match. I wanted to confirm that the pinned flash hider could be removed, that another detachable suppressor mount could be attached, and if any additional paperwork was necessary for a soon-to-be second SBR upper. She stated that no additional paperwork was necessary -- only that I needed to keep the upper described in my original SBR paperwork (minimum 8" barrel 300blk) for the entire time I wished to keep this Wilson lower classified as an SBR.

So I'm a newby in this area. I can't cite legal documents, or line-by-line information. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But the above is what I've experienced.

ATF agents are very frequently incorrect. Several years ago I had a fairly high ranking agent tell me something that directly contradicted a not recently published tech branch ruling. Unless it comes out of tech branch, don’t treat it as gospel.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum over the years that I’ve been into title-2 firearms....about 23 years. There is no legal requirement that one must be able to put a SBR into its original configuration.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
UPDATE: Once the Class III transfer goes through from rat worx, it will be at my FFL for me to submit my Form 4 and wait. $1,115 shipped to my FFL, that was a screaming deal!

Outstanding, congratulations. Thstvis a great deal.