SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need help to find someone to refinish a gunstock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help to find someone to refinish a gunstock Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
2 years ago, I bought a 1980s Browning A5 Light 12. I have always loved the old humpbacks, my dad has a pair of Belgian Sweet 16s that I have always shot well, but the lack of screw in chokes and their value kept me from wanting to make true field guns out of them, given the abuse they would see to their stocks and finishes. Hence, I overpaid for a late model Light 12. I don't begrudge the price I paid, but the fore-end was chipped and it needed some TLC in the maintenance arena when I got it. I cleaned 30+ years of goup out of the action, replaced all the springs, and replaced the forened - and she runs like the classic JMB masterpiece she is.
Unfortunately, the forearm and stock now don't quite match in color. I'd like to have the shoulder stock refinished to match the fore-end, as I prefer its matte and darker finish. The stock also needs some sanding to match up to the metal (I suspect it was replaced previously and is not truly factory in the first place, so am not worried about any detrement to the collector value of the gun - which is really non-existant in the first place).
Who would you recommend to undertake some minor stock shaping and finish matching for an old stock?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend someone local. Check with your local gunshops for someone who refinishes stocks. That's a pretty simple job and if I didn't want to do the work myself, I'd want someone local so I could see firsthand what I was paying for.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post