SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I think I found my next deer rifle. Henry big boy x
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I found my next deer rifle. Henry big boy x Login/Join 
posted
I have been wanting at 45LC lever rifle with a threaded barrel. I would much prefer this like the marlin, but marlin isn't making their version in 45lc.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-x-model/

quote:
Big Boy X Model
.45 Colt, .357/.38 Spl, .44 Mag/.44 Spl
Combining Modern Performance with Classic Lever Action Lineage
Creating the mold and then breaking out of it is something that we take great pride in. It’s how we progress and continue pushing the boundaries of what lever actions are capable of. The Big Boy X Model does just that and marks an evolutionary step in a product line with quite the pedigree. Modern hunters and shooters need a robust platform with the versatility to perform several different jobs and the X Model provides it right out of the box.

The Big Boy X-Model is packed with a high-performance feature set and plenty of room to add even more. The durable synthetic furniture is equipped with integrated mounting points for a sling, a solid rubber recoil pad, and both Picatinny and M-Lok accessory slots to aid in mounting the tools you need for the task at hand. The carbine-length barrel is topped off with highly visible fiber optic sights, fore and aft, and the muzzle end is threaded (5/8×24 thread pitch) to accept a suppressor or other muzzle device. A screw-on thread protector ensures your muzzle threads stay in top shape.

Keeping true to our roots the Big Boy X Model utilizes a 7-round removable tube magazine for convenient unloading, and the addition of a side loading gate allows that magazine to be kept topped off without needing to remove the tube or suppressor.

Whether it’s geared up to be your bedside protector, truck gun, deer rifle, or Saturday range day show-off piece, the Big Boy X Model is one rifle capable of many different roles.

Specifications

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I will most definitely be getting one, mine in .45-70. I've already got the "older" Henry all weather .45-70 and have taken a few moose with it. I was literally just getting ready send it to a gunsmith for a good amount of custom work to have the barrel threaded so I can put on my Hybrid 46 suppressor. In order to do it, it was going to entail moving the front site back, shortening the magazine tube and moving that mount back as well. I was also going to be a larger loop lever on too, as my hunting seasons are mostly in the colder temps and I found with light gloves on that I need the larger loop.

I asked Henry if they'd perform these modifications in the shop last year, as Marlin was already producing a threaded gun. Their response was "no". At least it's good to know they had something in the works to stay competitive.

If I have one complaint about this new offering, is that it needs to also be the all weather stainless option. I'm sure, about a week after I buy one, they'll release that one. Such is life...

I'm really looking forward to picking one of these up though. I think they did an outstanding job overall with the options.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I saw this yesterday, my only hope is that they release one with wood furniture vs. the black plastic. If/when that happens I’m in for one in .357.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks nice. I like the polymer stock. A stainless model would be nice with the polymer stock as well.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Indeed, looks nice!
I'm one who likes a good lever.

SigM4 - same caliber as a pistol.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Looking at omitting the rail, I wonder if they'll have an accessory forearm that ends just shy of the rail.

If not, it looks like a careful craftsman could truncate that one.

If not used for home defense, varmints or hog hunting, the rail wouldn't be missed.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet standard wood stocks would fit just fine.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
FYI: To the best of my knowledge, Henry All Weather rifles are not made from stainless steel.
They are carbon steel with industrial hard chrome plating.

See here: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-weather-big-boy/

And here: https://www.henryusa.com/rifle...eather-lever-action/

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cee_Kamp Thanks, I never realized they were hard chrome guns.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Hard Chrome is a great finish for a hunting rifle. The problem is if you make any metal modifications, you have bare carbon steel exposed. As Member inspcalahan made mention of Henry All Weather modifications earlier in this thread. And stripping off Hard Chrome so you can refinish after modifications is both time consuming and expensive.
I personally have come to prefer stainless steel for hunting firearms, both rifles and handguns.
I have a Ruger 12 GA Red Label o/u shotgun that I purchased (affordable due to rust damage) many years ago that had some cosmetic external rust damage to the bottom barrel near the muzzle. I think the gun had been stored in a case that was wet when the gun was put away. Ruger would reblue the barrel set for less than $100. But I sent the barrels out for Industrial Hard Chrome.
It's quite attractive, stainless receiver, hard chrome barrels, blued small parts.
Ruger made an All Weather version of the Red Label o/u shotgun, but they were expensive!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1532 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I hope that they make it in 45/70.

ETA: they have one. I wonder what they will run price wise

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
I just emailed them, but probably won't get a reply until after the weekend. The description shows the thread pitch as 5/8x24, does anyone know if that's for all the calibers? I'm also interested in the 38/357 version, which is usually a 1/2x28 pitch.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1050 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Just an update on this, they emailed me back and it said that they're all threaded for 5/8x24.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1050 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Well, I now know what I will be spending my tax return on. I will definitely pick one up in .357/.38........Already have several revolvers in those calibers.

Hopefully the .357 model (only found one listed on Gun Broker and none at my usual sources) will be out and about by my birthday in April.....Happy birthday to me. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
These are hitting dealers out there. I've heard of a couple .357's getting across the counters and I brought my .45-70 home 2 weeks ago. Now I'm just waiting for my Hybrid46 stamp to clear, so I can complete the package. I've got a Leupold Freedom RDS waiting on the rail mount to put on top as well. Henry sold out of the rails right quick.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post