SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ‘New’(to me) Sweet 16 A-5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘New’(to me) Sweet 16 A-5 Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted
I was off to MI last weekend and stopped in one of our favorite smallish gun shops. He had recently taken some guns in from an elderly lady, including a minty 1954 Sweet 16 A-5, 27” or so, Mod choke.

No I didn’t really need it but one has been on my mind a few years, we have two 16 ga pumps we often use. He said $750 out the door I could have it, so I bit.

Just got done with a mostly complete breakdown cleaning, bolt, trigger, and most receiver parts off, stock of course too. I doubt it has been disassembled maybe ever. After a little hiccup with reassemble it’s good as new now, thanks to Utube videos.

Sorry no pictures available, may become one of my new favorite grouse guns.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
No I didn’t really need it

No one "needs" a classic - everyone needs a classic.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
These are fantastic shotguns, big fan of the A5.
You did good, enjoy the majesty and brilliance of John Browning!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
trigger group reassembly is a giant pita. I almost never break my A5's all the way down.
midwest gun works is a great place for parts and service.

let's see a picture!

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe I didn’t break it down as much as I implied, just the main components, left the trigger group intact. The ‘2 piece follower’ and the ‘locking block latch’ gave me enough fits, no need to stress further.

I did shoot it a few times, ready to hit the coverts again. Yes, it is an engineering marvel which stood the test of time. This is my 2nd A-5, thinking about selling my 80’s 12ga A-5.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I am another big fan of the A5, I have 3, all 12 gauge, but a 16 would be a nice addition!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The sub guages are where A5's shine brightest, imo. The sweet 16 is the best 16 auto ever made because it was always built on its own frame and maintained great proportions. The light twenties are becoming even more desirable than 16's on the collector market and they are cream puffs to shoot. I happen to be partial to mid 1960's models.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a great find. I love the A5 in 20 and 16 gauge.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
A classic A5. Nice find!

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local shop my daughter works at just co signed a lot of belgium a-5's
Off the top of my head.

1 lightweight 12,
1 nib standard 12,
1 20 gauge
1 20 gauge magnum
1 sweet16

It was pretty cool to look through them.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been a frame of the handling on the old humpbacks, but they were really (in my option) the first dependable automatic shotgun on the market. I still have a 12 gauge A5 that my father bought new in the early 60's.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father in law gave me a Belgium A5 12ga. 1971 manufacture date if I remember right.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this post! I'm a A-5 fan as well and have 2 of them. The prize possession of my gun safe is my Dad's 1950's A-5 12g. I carried a lot growing up.

I need to look for a new shotgun to actually hunt with. I get confused on what to get because I really only want to buy one for all purpose. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Posts: 30 | Registered: October 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:

I need to look for a new shotgun to actually hunt with. I get confused on what to get because I really only want to buy one for all purpose. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

One could start by asking what you hunt mostly? Any need for a slug barrel?

For walking and mobility I like lighter & somewhat shorter. The most versatile would be a 12 ga, 3” chamber has been plenty for me. Then we get to your budget. A nice, older pump is the bargain choice.

If you want to spend more, a Benelli M2 is nice.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shallowenuf:
I love this post! I'm a A-5 fan as well and have 2 of them. The prize possession of my gun safe is my Dad's 1950's A-5 12g. I carried a lot growing up.

Thanks,

If I could only have one shotgun it would be a Benelli Super Black Eagle. I probably wouldn't use the 3 1/2" chamber much, if any, but why not have the option?

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, my problem (among others) is where I live, Northern AL, the places you can hunt for free are over hunted and somewhat recently moved here and don't have buddies with land. What I want to do is have a shotgun ready so if someone invites me, I can grab it and go. I know guys that duck hunt, turkey, etc. So I need something versitile. I also don't want to spend a ton for something else to sit in my overcrowded safe. $1600 or so for a new A5 seems like a lot. I saw a baretta A3 for around $500. I have berretta pistols but not long guns. Don't think I need slugs, really, I have rifles.

I know I'm being cheap.

Edit - what barrel length for "multi" purpose 26 or 28

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shallowenuf,

Posts: 30 | Registered: October 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post