SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best Way to Add a Heat Shield to a 12 ga, Mossberg Shockwave
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Way to Add a Heat Shield to a 12 ga, Mossberg Shockwave Login/Join 
posted
From Mossberg Parts/Maverick Arms, Inc. (800-363-3555) order:

One Item No. 16335P Parkerized 12 ga., Heavy Bbl. Heat Shield @ $30.00

Two Item No. 10494 Lock Nut Heat Shield @ $2.63 each.

There is no need to buy Spacer, Heat Shield (Item No. 12086) -- It can not be used on a Shockwave!

I suggest you buy two (2) #6-32 x 7/8" long Socket Head Cap Screw from your local Hardware,
Mossberg charges $2.63 Ea. for their Item No. 11588 (the exact same thing).

You must remove the front bead sight from the 14" Shockwave barrel (requires a 5/32" hex socket).

The rearmost end of the Heat Shield's "ears" must be slightly trimmed and re-radiused to clear the
Shockwave magazine cap. A file, Dremel or belt sander will work to do this.

Touch up the bare metal edges with cold blue and you're done! Item No. 16335P is exactly the correct
length (and front/rear ID) to fit a 12ga. Shockwave!

You will need a small 'C' clamp or a 1" long #6-32 screw to pull the "ears" close enough together to
start the nuts on the 7/8" screws.

Hope this helps --- it worked great for me!!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Duct Tape?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Why add the weight for something that is completely unnecessary? If it’s because “it looks cool,” ok, but imo they are for mall ninjas and basement dwellers, not shooters.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, Shockwaves do not "require" a heat shield to be 100% functional. Only so called "trench guns" having a bayonet mounted genuinely benefit from the addition of a heat shield.

However, firearm owners add/change items to/on our weapons that are more "bling" than beneficial. For instance using exotic wood to make pistol grips. Does the exotic wood do anything that plain walnut does not?

So far as the added weight -- my 12 ga. firearm has the additional weight of a sling, green laser, picatinny rail and the heat shield --- I really don't notice the difference!
These "non-shotguns" are pretty light anyway and if you do a "mag dump" with full power !2 ga. buck or slugs --- it's mot the additional weight of the firearm that will have your attention!

I run an OpSol 1-3/4" shell adapter. With eight short shells in the mag (plus one in the chamber); my barrel gets warm enough after several repeated mag dumps.

The purpose of my post was not to convince anyone to add a heat shield to their Shockwave. My object was to show how to do it easily, correctly and relatively inexpensively using factory Mossberg parts.

"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Why add the weight for something that is completely unnecessary? If it’s because “it looks cool,” ok, but imo they are for mall ninjas and basement dwellers, not shooters.
mine comes in handy after long shotgun stages in multi gun matches... barrel gets hot. YMMV

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
mine comes in handy after long shotgun stages in multi gun matches... barrel gets hot. YMMV

You use a Shockwave in multi-gun matches?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They can be very useful, maybe not on the shockwave. (Though adding weight to a light gun that kicks a lot would be a terrible idea right?) Wink

Many years ago when I started shooting shotgun matches, I was using a Bonelli supernova. Being new at it I was still turning the gun over to load it, strong hand. Roll Eyes
Halfway through the match I started getting blisters on my hand, thinking it was from working the action. After a while I realized they were burn blisters from the barrel. So a heat shield sure would have worked there. Smile

I run a shotgun match every year and last time around there was a shockwave division. (it was also a multi gun possible match, and shockwaves were legal as one of your guns)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some people even buy weights to put into the stocks of their shotguns to reduce felt recoil.

I sometimes wonder what this forum would be like if every time someone asked a question or posted information about a product or activity that not every single person approved of, all those nonapprovers felt compelled to post a gratuitous statement about why they didn’t think it was necessary or why they didn’t do it. This would be a much different place to exchange ideas.

Yes, we would learn who had self-doubt insecurities or were imagination challenged, but I don’t believe that too many of the rest of us are really interested in such things.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Some people even buy weights to put into the stocks of their shotguns to reduce felt recoil.

I sometimes wonder what this forum would be like if every time someone asked a question or posted information about a product or activity that not every single person approved of, all those nonapprovers felt compelled to post a gratuitous statement about why they didn’t think it was necessary or why they didn’t do it. This would be a much different place to exchange ideas.

Yes, we would learn who had self-doubt insecurities or were imagination challenged, but I don’t believe that too many of the rest of us are really interested in such things.

It’s a heat shield on a shockwave. I assume he’s doing it to look cool. I’m trying to share with him that it looks like those kids who put a giant spoiler on a 4 cylinder Honda Civic.

The free exchange of ideas here is does it look cool? That’s what he’s after from what I can tell. My answer is it looks dumb as shit. If anyone thinks a heat shield is of benefit on a shockwave, ok, but I disagree completely...and it looks stupid imo.

Some are trying to make this bigger than what it is. It’s not some philosophical or technical discussion about guns and/or the practicality of heat shields and weights on a shotgun. It’s “does it look cool?” I’m a hard no, i think it looks like a mall ninja. That’s my free exchange of ideas with him.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If there had been a question and it had been, “What do you think of …?” then our opinions were being sought and therefore no one would complain about their being offered.

This thread did not start with any questions at all, though, much less was it seeking opinions about the idea. It started as an explanation of how to do something that was related to the primary purpose of the forum. In that context posting an unsolicited “I don’t like the looks of that” comment is totally gratuitous and adds nothing of value to the thread. Even worse, your “mall ninjas and basement dwellers” characterization of people who would be interested in such a modification is a personal ad hominem attack on the OP whom I assume you have never so much as met, much less know anything about other than that he/she is sharing information that may be of interest to others. Something to keep in mind is that such illogical comments demonstrate far more about the person making them than they do about the one at whom they’re directed.

To reiterate my point, there are countless threads here about things that many members have no interest in or they believe are even unnecessary. If all of those members chose to clutter up those threads with posts expressing their unsolicited—and usually valueless—opinions, the forum would become as worthless to the rest of us as many other forums have become for the same reason.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I reiterate...it’s a heat shield...on a shockwave...mentioned in a public place. Are you a mod? No? Mkay then. All you’ve done is cluttered and offered unsolicited opinions on my “unsolicited opinion.” Are we catching the irony? I am. Have a good one, I’ll go elsewhere.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:

You use a Shockwave in multi-gun matches?
no... I use my 590, with a heat shield. But I guess I’m a mall ninja because I like mine.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are we catching the irony? I am.

Oh, yes: I noted that you expressed an opinion and I expressed an opinion about your opinion. We are therefore pretty much equal, except that I had more justification for expressing my opinion in this thread than you did—in my opinion, of course. Wink

Merry Christmas to all. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
How about a picture? My shockwave is still plain, as it came from the factory...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a pic but I have a buddy who has the shock wave with wood furniture and he distressed it a little bit and put a heat shield on it and the thing looks pretty bitchin.
It’s more of a fun gun anyway so who cares? Plenty of people do goofy shit to their AR’s and nobody here judges them. Same with g10 grips or fancy wood grips. Honestly does nothing measurable for you, it’s mostly for the looks and that’s okay, so I say get your heat shield and let the boomers look down on you while they load up that 2k 1911 with $100 grips

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
does the heatshield have a sight post built in?

Not sure I can give up the precision of having the front post for my shockwave... Razz

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mossberg #16335P does not have provision for a front sight (brass bead).

However, the Mossberg heat shield is (I'm pretty sure) thick enough to be drilled and tapped to accept the factory front bead.

There is a double thickness of steel (spot welded together) at the front and rear of the heat shield.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The OP has given us a very detailed and useful post, including part numbers, pitfalls, and ways to save a few bucks on the project.

No pics, though Wink

Well done.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Photos dude, come on.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll figure out how to post photos!

I know there have been good instructions previously posted (several times).