SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Choke Tube for Home Defense Shotgun Question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choke Tube for Home Defense Shotgun Question. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
I recently replaced my Winchester 1300 Defender 12 Gauge Pistol Grip model with the Winchester SXP Extreme Defender FDE 12 gauge.

The question: This shotgun came standard with a Breacher Tube, which I will have no use for. When I remove the tube, I assume I need to install a choke tube to prevent fouling of the threads in the barrel. Is that correct?
I am using Federal LE Flight Control 1 Buck and will, if needed use a Cylinder Choke.

Thanks for your responses.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What’s the question?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
What’s the question?

Sorry, I was still posting. Read on!

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
yes, Cyl choke would be fine

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Don't ever shoot a screw-in choke gun without a choke tube installed. I mean, I doubt you'll ruin it the first time, but it can definitely damage the threads.

Cylinder choke is going to be the most open choke and should be best for close range.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
^^^Thank you. You confirmed my assumption.

BIDEN SUCKS.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've used a cylinder choke with Flight Control buckshot. It held tight patterns out to 25 yards.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington 870 Police models had fixed improved cylinder chokes for tighter patterns at 25 yards with standard buckshot, not sure if they still do.

Federal Flight control tightens up the pattern with a cylinder bore or choke (effectively no choke). It's really up to you, the shells you use, and how your particular shotgun patterns.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it makes any difference which choke for home. Spread will not be much different at most house distances

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post