Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4448 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I am an HK roller gun fanboy, but a nice M14 for FAL are hard to say no to. I'm not a huge fan of the ACE, though I have researched replacing as much of the new stuff with old parts.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
M1A/M14 guns are fun. Here's a discussion thread on the Scout Squad.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5190037044

ETA: Arcwelder's comment from that thread sums it up pretty well.
quote:
The semiautomatic M14, or "M1A," will always have a place in my heart. Sit anyone behind one, and after they shoot, ask them if it felt like riflery. The answer is always yes.

Even on an $800 Norinco, if those can still be found, these rifles are like a time machine, back to marksmanship.

I've had numerous things to occupy me, so I don't know if the military is still employing them in DMR roles, or issuing Crazy Horse rifles. The reality is that with all the controversy surrounding its deployment that this rifle indeed has a place in combat, and history.

Even if you think they're garbage, as the last wood and steel rifle of our nation, they damn sure are good looking.

Arc.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I've had them all, SCAR17 stuck.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For overall practicality/usefulness: SCAR 17

For history and shooting fun: M1A or .308 M1 Garand

For oddball coolness: Desert Tech MDR

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That's what kept me from semi-converting an ACE, you quickly reach SCAR price territory, and then you have a serious rifle.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Galil ACE in both .308 and 7.62x39, and don’t care for either of them. They are too limited in accessories, the sights are too high and mounting an optic to clear the sights almost requires the use of the stock cheek rest, and they lack a last round BHO (which is a legacy of the AK design, not an ACE specific issue). The biggest issue is that the top cover is extremely hard to get back on due to it being an exceptionally tight fit because that’s how they try to maintain the zero of the top rail. On top of that, there is the indifferent AK accuracy. I would take any decent AR-10 over the Galil ACE.

They are overpriced AK variants just trading off the IMI and Galil names. Unlike the original Galil which was used by the IDF, the ACE versions aren’t used by the Israelis, and only by a few countries. Can’t wait for the next panic to dump my .308 ACE.

For the record, I have a number of 7.62x51 guns and the ACE would be the first to go.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For me unless I'm trying to shoot for super tight groups at distance.

I'd probably settle for a Palmetto. I've heard people report they are getting around 1 -1.5 - 2 MOA out of them. Not bad for a Sub $800 semi auto 308.

Heck if I didn't like the patterns I'd re barrel it with a better barrel for a few hundred bucks.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, I have them all, and the last one that I would ever get rid of is my SCAR 17!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
FNAR from FNH

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
PTR-91 - it’s an American built clone of the HK 91 built on original HK tooling and plans.
Link: http://www.ptr-us.com/products-7-62-x-51mm.php

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
FNAR from FNH

Having owned one I can't think of anything worse. Complex, no aftermarket, FN's crappy support, etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a lot of different riles in .308. In general its because I think they are great rifles (think SCAR) or they have great histories (think M1A). I'd pick one of those two paths.
In order of my preference overall here's my list of the best ones to consider.
1. SCAR
2. AR-10
2. FAL
3. M1A
4. HK91 (via PTR for affordability as noted above)
Any of the above will be completely satisfactory.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
FNAR from FNH

Having owned one I can't think of anything worse. Complex, no aftermarket, FN's crappy support, etc.

A buddy of mine bought one of those at the beginning of the first Obama gun rush, because it was one of the only "high capacity assault rifles" still on the shelves and he was convinced that they were about to be banned.

He hated it.

I've never tried it, but nothing about that rifle appeals to me one bit.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
FNAR from FNH

A buddy of mine bought one of those at the beginning of the first Obama gun rush, because it was one of the only "high capacity assault rifles" still on the shelves and he was convinced that they were about to be banned.

He hated it.

I've never tried it, but nothing about that rifle appeals to me one bit.

I have owned them and never needed support from FN. Mags are pricey, but enjoyed the rifles. I'm only a civilian now though. I never saw it as an "Assault Rifle". I did get rid of them, if that says anything.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a Browning BAR?

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FAL built on an Imbel gear logo receiver, or forged DSA (newer ones are cast). A little heavy, but rock-solid reliable, abundant spare parts available. Right Arm of the Free World. LOVE my Rhodie!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a BM-59 for less than an M1A?

https://www.classicfirearms.co...to-rifle-308-caliber

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
How about a BM-59 for less than an M1A?

https://www.classicfirearms.co...to-rifle-308-caliber

^^^^^^^^^
Great catch. I completeley forgot about Classic and the BM-59.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post