New
Find
Notify
Tools

Null Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I would like a semi auto .308, but want to steer clear of the AR platform.

"Steer clear of the AR platform"
Does this mean you don't want anything that is a DI AR10(ish) rifle, or does it include both direct impingement and gas piston variants of the AR10(ish) platform?

From a practical standpoint, you seem to be familiar with the AR15 platform. Why do you not want to transfer this familiarity to a larger caliber firearm?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the recommendations thusfar. I should eliminate the SCAR 17 from this, as $3000 on a rifle is just something I cant wrap my mind around.

I couldn't understand what the fuss was all about either until I tried one. Immediately sold my M1A Scout and 716 DMR. Absolutely no regrets.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im interested in something “different” from what I currently have, which is exclusively ARs.

I understand. I was in the same boat several years ago, when I wanted to buy my first semiauto .308. I already had a bunch of AR15s, and wanted something different.

I started with a FAL, which I enjoyed, but I ended up trading it for a M1A recently, and I'm much happier. (I made out like a bandit on the deal too...)

However, I'll probably pick up a .308 AR at some point in the next several years, once the lighter G2/SF style gets more prominent and has some of the early quirks worked out.

quote:
Whoever suggested the BM-59, thanks! I didn’t know that weapon even existed. It’s something to consider for sure.

Sure, they're neat. But consider that they're only a couple hundred less than a M1A, or the same price as a lightly used M1A, and M1As have much greater (and cheaper) parts/accessory/magazine availability.

If you're thinking about a BM-59 because it's kinda/sorta like a M1A but slightly cheaper, I'd either find a lightly used M1A, or look into a .308 Garand instead. .308 Garands use standard Garand parts and clips, and can be found for ~$1k.

I'd especially consider that last option if you don't already own a Garand. I firmly believe that every American gun owner should own at least one M1 Garand. (Preferably in the original .30-06, but .308 is acceptable too.) They're extremely well-made, great pieces of history, and incredibly fun to shoot.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
I prefer 5.56 for the AR platform - I have DI and piston.

For .308, being the purist, traditionalist, keep-it-simple type, I prefer the M14. Have 2 22" LRBs, looking to get an 18.5" LRB. Love 'em.

And I agree with RogueJSK - every red-blooded American gun owner should have an M1 Garand. Luckily found a very good one a few years ago for a very good price. Springfield receiver ('43) re-fitted with a very low mileage '49 barrel. So beautiful to shoot.

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Posts: 806 | Registered: October 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the two most classic semi autos in .308 are the FAL and M14/M1A. Everyone who likes battle rifles should have one of each.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Get a semiauto Ruger Precision Rifle. Just kidding, it's a SR7.62 with
LAW folder and Ruger Precision Rifle buttstock.

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a more traditional hunting rifle look, either a Benelli R1 or as previously suggested a Browning BAR. Both are high quality rifles, but the Browning is likely to be more accurate.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you want to easily suppress and or SBR - SCAR 17.

Otherwise I’d go LMT MWS, with one of their lighter weight barrel and rail models.

KAC SR25 would be sweet, but they have a steep entry price.

Unless of course you just want to pour cheap surplus ammo through something - then get a PSA beater and see how it does for you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I like my S&W, M&P10

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little over a year ago I was in the same position as you. I had a few AR 15 rifles, including a recently-built .300 BLK SBR w/stamp. I had also purchased an M1 from CMP in late Q3 2016, which is 30-06, and enjoy shooting it, but I wanted something in .30 cal which I could use with a scope (didn't want to mount a scope on my M1). A friend had a PSA AR 10 in .308, which we shot out to about 600 yards at the farm, but it really didn't interest me. Like you, I wanted something a little different.

Last summer I purchased a Bula M14 M-21 receiver and barrel from Jeff, along with their parts kit and CBR carbon fiber chassis. I chose the M-21 since it has the picatinny rail forged on top of the reciever and provides for proper scope mount placement. Over the course of the next several months I procured the rest of the needed components and completed the build. This was my first step into the M14/M1A arena, even though I had eyed them for quite some time, and I had a lot to learn regarding this rifle. For me, I thoroughly enjoyed the process of the build, and it was a very satisfying accomplishment. Bula also sells finished rifles, if you want a turn-key.

The point is, I find that the M14 fills the .308 semi-auto slot very well for me. But, it all depends on your intended use.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
FNAR from FNH

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
FNAR from FNH

Having owned one I can't think of anything worse. Complex, no aftermarket, FN's crappy support, etc.

I own one as well.

Complex? Sure, but it requires no smithing to be more accurate or reliable so I don't really care.

No Aftermarket? Sure, but it doesn't need any parts other than a scope and a bipod, so I don't really care.

Crappy support? Maybe, but It's an FN so it'll never need to go back....so I don't really care.

To me it was a bullet proof sub-$1,000 sub-MOA semi-auto .308 from a top level manufacturer that takes 20rd box mags.

...works for me. Results may vary of course.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you enjoy your FNAR. And I am not in the least trying to argue that it doesn't work for you and meet your needs. But in the context of guns that can be easily disassembled for cleaning, maintenance and upgrades let me mention a few things that irritated me...1. it has to be cleaned from the muzzle, 2. cleaning the rest of the normal parts takes a screwdriver, 2.5mm allen wrench, needle nose pliers, small punch, removing a set screw! and a truly complex disassembly procedure that I would never try in any environment but a workbench. Its not a gunsmithing type issue, its just you maintaining the gun. I can clean and maintain an AR-10, HK or Fal with no specialized tools in the field. 3. The mags are proprietary and at the time I had my FNAR hard to get, and even today are expensive versus the other types suggested in this thread, 4. You might consider the FNAR perfect but if you don't there is no aftermarket to help you, don't like the stock on your FAL well there is help, don't like the foreend on your HK help there too. Fnar sure if you haven't lost the little pieces you can adjust the stock, but it is what you bought basically.
Everything about every gun is a tradeoff and I don't see the upside on a FNAR and I see downsides. If it works exactly as delivered to meet your needs its a great choice.
YMMV of course.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for the SCAR 17. Sure, it's expensive (including the magazines) but you really do get what you pay for. There's really nothing else like it.

I was a skeptic at first but I'm glad I bought it.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
If I didnt decide on the SCAR I wouldve kept my M1A Scout, its does a lot of what the SCAR can do for 1/3 of the price

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
This site is named "SIG Forum" for a reason. Spend a couple bucks and get yourself a SIG AMT.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
As nice as they are, I believe they are well outside the stated budget.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to M14's myself...

There's an M14 for nearly any application from $1,500 to $7,000. All the pics above fall within that price range. They can shoot real nice if you get one that is built right. I can't comment on other 308 semi's as I've only shot these. Never shot a FAL, HK-91, SCAR or AR-10.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I recently traded my FN FNAR.
I would buy it again, never had an issue, other than light strikes with hard primers.
A couple companies make aftermarket, ACE makes a folding stock adapter.
I still prefer my M1A Scout.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/0aRtupiY9Dw

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post