SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I was asked to work on a Remington 700 for the first time (classic hunting rifle)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was asked to work on a Remington 700 for the first time (classic hunting rifle) Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My fathers old 700BDL with no mods loved 180gr rds. Roughly 1 inch groups. put 165gr or less in it and would open right up....

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The owner of the rifle got back from vacation today. He said before I worked on it he was getting 2” groups on a good day. So average of 2” to 3” groups with wandering zero was the starting point.

He said this was a a birthday gift from his father for his 14th birthday and that the rifle is 30 years old.

He seems excited to get back behind it. I also discussed a strap on cheek rest to fine tune his cheek weld.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Here in Montana Elk country, the .270 was widely used for a bit flatter trajectory. The '06 was my dads favorite, grand dad loved his .270. I personally settled on .280 Remington. Magnums may throw heavier pills, but many hunters are lacking the proper shot placement discipline. A monster bull can give anyone the herky jerkies. Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Here in Montana Elk country, the .270 was widely used for a bit flatter trajectory. The '06 was my dads favorite, grand dad loved his .270. I personally settled on .280 Remington. Magnums may throw heavier pills, but many hunters are lacking the proper shot placement discipline. A monster bull can give anyone the herky jerkies. Smile

When I was elk hunting, I used a 338 Win Mag. with 225 Hornady bullets, 74gr 4831, 215, barrel was a 25" Douglas premium on a magnum action Model 70 pre 64.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
It's nice to have friends. My buddy, who happens to be another moderator on the M14 forum, is a fantastic stock refinisher. He's the one who refinished my Ohio National Guard trade-in stock set. He just so happened to have refinished a Vietnam-Era Remington 700 walnut stock too that looks very similar to this one.

I sent him pictures of this project and he sent me some of his special stain mixture and some teak oil to match up the inside of the forearm and seal up the rest of the wood so that it will hold up when it's in the field. I just need to add four more coats of teak oil over the next four days and it should be all sealed up and ready for the field.

The last thing we need to do is figure out a scope cover setup and a trigger. With the rear sight so close to the objective lens, Butler Creek flip-ups won't work.

The owner might chime in here soon to ask about a good hunting trigger. I have ZERO experience with Rem 700's so I'm not qualified to give an opinion, really, on triggers, other than keeping it around 1.5 to 3 pounds. A quiet safety is a plus.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
https://riflebasix.com/product...ton-700-trigger-l-1/

I've used a couple of these, they work quite well.
If I can install them, you should have no problem...lol!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
I shoot Timneys in my 700s, safe and reliable with a clean break, and obviously adjustable.

Nice work, thanks for the thread.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbors S&W 1500 (Howa action) in .270 did the same grouping. Two close, then third just like that rifle.
I cleaned it and cleaned it and cleaned it to remove years of copper fowling.
It now groups three shot 1.2 inches with factory 130s.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
He went with the timney. He’s got it now, so we’ll see how it does. He was impressed with the work.

I also super cleaned his barrel and set him up with proper cleaning gear.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I just got an email from him. He's in Montana. He dropped an elk at 319 yards with a heart shot.

The .270 got it done.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That’s great Benny!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice project. I think with a little experimenting with different brands of ammo it might go under an inch. But why did he (or you) retain the old front sight?
Nice shot on the Elk.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The front sight wasn't getting in the way, so we left it.

I just really enjoyed this project and the fact that I was able to help my friend get his thirty year old rifle back up and in good working condition to hunt with his dad this year.

I build rifles and I send them away, then wonder if the owner is enjoying it. I hear back from some of them, but most I don't.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I switched to 30.06, but never had a problem anchoring an elk with a .270 in 150 grain.

This has been a great story with a great ending.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Edited per Benny's request. Hopefully he had a special tag.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post