SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Those With Experience With Both the Benelli M2 & Beretta A400 Unico Please Help!

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Those With Experience With Both the Benelli M2 & Beretta A400 Unico Please Help! Login/Join 
Picture of Knezz
posted
I'm looking for a semi-automatic shotgun. I looked at the Remington, Mossberg, Benelli and Beretta.

I've now am leaning towards either the Benelli M2 or the Beretta A400 Unico.

Any input on one over the other would be appreciated??

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3033 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Report This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
To me, Beneli is the top drawer choice. Beretta, Benelli, and a couple other shotguns are not only owned by the same company but also share the designs. Honestly you can't do poorly with the Beretta but having had the same choice, I ended up with the Benelli on more than one occasion. I owned the Beretta but still wanted the Benelli instead.

Posts: 4422 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Report This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have both Benelli and Beretta and can think of positives and negatives to each. In all honesty though I would be perfectly happy with either choice if I could not have both. The Benelli is inertia driven, lighter, and fits me like a glove. The Beretta (I have 3 a400s), are gas operated, a little bit heavier, and fit me very well. The recoil system in the Beretta makes it the softest shooting shotgun I have ever shot. In the end, I settled on the Beretta platform because I like the placement of the safety in front of the trigger vs behind the trigger like the Benelli. It is more natural for me to pop the safety and continues rearward to the trigger while hunting. How does each gun fit you?

Posts: 1537 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Have both. Biggest difference is felt recoil. Benelli is recoil operated like mentioned above. Beretta gas operated. The benelli has a sharp snap to the recoil whereas the beretta is a gradual shove. Similar to comparing the .40 to the .45. Good luck.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I liked my 12 ga M2 so much I bought a similar gun in 20 ga.

A little costly but top quality.

Posts: 2836 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The Beretta is probably the nicest gas operated shotgun on the market.

Inertia guns are definitely different. They recoil 'quicker' to me, but shot to shot I am faster with a lighter gun.

I opted for an M2 but I don't think you will be dissatisfied either way.
If I were buying again I would buy a Benelli again.

Posts: 12626 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Fn slp

Posts: 3062 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
As I've aged and developed fairly nagging rheumatoid arthritis, I've had a harder time with recoil on the shoulder so I tinkered with managed recoil and low recoil 00 buck and slugs and not only did they take the sharp out of the recoil but also have been totally reliable in my Benelli. I swallowed my pride and proudly run those "sissy" rounds. Big Grin. I wish I'd thought to try those rounds in my Beretta 1201 before I parted with it.

Posts: 4422 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Fn slp

I've owned both and I would take a Benelli over the FN every time.

And the FN is a very good shotgun.

Posts: 12626 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Benelli has a 10 year warranty, Beretta 3.

Posts: 6295 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I needed to send a Benelli shotgun in for warranty work after the tubular magazine broke. When I got the gun back (six months later), the stock was broken at the pistol grip. It took nearly a year for Benelli to notify me that they were unable to replace the wood stock as production of that design (Montefeltro) had been discontinued. Mad

As a result of the poor customer service I received, the dealer that sold me the gun offered to give me a new model or credit towards the purchase of something else. I took the credit and bought the first version of the Beretta A400 when they came out and couldn't be happier. These GAS OPERATED semi-autos are much softer shooting than recoil operated Benellis, and I've shot thousands of rounds through mine without a hitch.

I was so happy with the original A400 (12 gauge), that I subsequently sold my Remington 1100s and replaced them with A400s in 20 and 28 gauge, and my Beretta 391 with an "Optifade" (camo) 12 gauge A400 for waterfowl hunting. I also bought the "tactical" version offered by Beretta, the 1301 Competition. I just love this system and recommend it highly!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 8204 | Location: So CA | Registered: June 13, 2007Report This Post
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I like Benellis better in the field, but if it's a clays gun you may like the Beretta more.

I will say, though, I shot my friend's A400 on a round of skeet and was actually surprised how much punishment that gun delivered to my cheek. The felt recoil on the shoulder is very little thanks to the kick-off system, but even though the butt isn't moving much, the stock still is. And it slams right into my cheek. No thank you.

I can shoot a SBE II with 3" #2's 3 or 4 days straight in a duck blind just fine.

"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."

Posts: 7720 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Fn slp

I've owned both and I would take a Benelli over the FN every time.

And the FN is a very good shotgun.

I have also, i prefer the slp. I will say, though if i could not get the slp, the benelli would be a perfectly acceptable choice.

Posts: 3062 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post