SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint H2 vs Trijicon MRO
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint H2 vs Trijicon MRO Login/Join 
posted
I'm building an AR pistol in 300 Blackout and am putting together the shopping list. My current AR rifle has an Aimpoint PRO that has been excellent but I'd like something smaller for this build. Is the H2 worth a couple hundred more than the MRO? As for mounts, I'd prefer a quick release. Looking at Scalarworks or American Defense Mfg.

I bought my first AR complete and modded it on a pretty tight budget six years ago. While cost is always a concern, I'm willing to spend the extra money if it seems to be a notably better product.

What does the mind hive say? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of each.
I honestly don't notice 1 being more badass than the other.

With regards to mounts.. these things are pretty great:

https://kineticdg.com/product-category/sidelok/

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have an MRO on my Scorpion Pistol, it's fine and for a budget build I'd have no issues using more of them over an H/T-2 series.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it isn’t a go to war gun, I’d just put a Primary Arms MD-ADS on it. They are under $200, have 5 year batt life and are rugged enough I would bet my life on one (I have 2).

My HD AR wears an H2, and I have an ACOG, but I stopped buying the high end optics beyond those 2. I can only use one at a time.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I prefer the micro series over the MRO, but cant really go wrong with either. I almost bought an MRO for my scorpion as a budget choice over another t1 or t2, but came across a basically unused t1 for the right price. If you're not against used, shop around online. I've seen t1's and h1's for 400 to 450 since the t2 came out.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I actually prefer the MRO. The fact that it’s cheaper is just a bonus. I feel like my field of view is too cramped on the H2.

I buy them from Larue with the QD mount. When you buy them as a package from Larue, it’s like the mount is free.

In fact, they’re On sale for $440 with QD mount right now.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have both, prefer the Aimpoint or other sized optics. I know the FOV on the MRO is better, but I don't like the fisheye.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
FOV on RDS is irrelevant when shooting like you should, both eyes open.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

What he said.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the MRO and I've been using it quite a bit in non serious stuff, as its quite good and if you shop around relatively cheap. But it will be a long time before I consider it for serious guns. Aimpoint has a well earned and deserved reputation for toughness.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Can you see the emitter in the H2? I've looked through them but honestly can't remember. What I didn't like about the MRO was how prominent the emitter was in my view, I'd only experienced that with cheap dot sights, so I was surprised by it.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I have a couple aimpoint micros, aimpoint PRO, acog and trijicon rmr.

The aimpoint micro is nice, but very over priced.

I'm currently looking for an optic on a 300 pistol build too. I think ill go with aimpoint pro or try a mro.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you see the emitter in the H2?

I can't and don't. I've used an MRO for quite a few matches now (its on my CZ and MRX for PCC) and its pretty decent. But as I said above I'm not trusting one on a serious gun for awhile. Me personally I happen to like the full size aimpoints versus the micro's. I have quite a few of the micro's and they are 100% aimpoint reliable, but the price doesn't really match any advantage over the other choices.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is less important sure, but hardly irrelevant. For starters, that your other eye is open won’t help your shooting eye find the dot from a less than ideal position, more FOV would.

I mount my dots as close to the rear as possible, easier to find the dot, easier target transitions if they are already in the FOV vs outside and with both eyes open I don’t find it is anymore obstruction.

It isn’t a big factor either way though...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both of those optics and both of those mounts. Honestly, you can not go wrong with any of the options that you mentioned; you've done some solid homework. My thoughts:

For the optics, if you truly are looking for smaller, the H2 would be the way to go. I love my MRO, but it is noticeably larger. Some others have mentioned that the field of view is smaller in the H2...that is true, but is it really a concern? This is a red dot optic, it is meant to be fired both eyes open. And it's not mounted on a handgun, where a larger FOV could assist in "finding the dot". Maybe it would help you someday, but maybe not. What the MRO does have going for it is that it is a top of the line optic, but for a lower price.

For the mounts, both Scalarworks and ADM are excellent choices. Both lock up tightly, are very easy to attach, adjust, and remove. The ADM is a little heavier (not significantly, unless you are counting ounces trying to build a lightweight rifle), but significantly cheaper. I have multiple of each. For you, it may also come down to styling--the Scalarworks is a little more streamlined, after all.

Regardless, you cannot go wrong, although that won't make your choice any easier!

Posts: 27 | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
look at an RMR as well.

I've been running an RMR on an AR15 for a while now much prefer it to the MRO that it replaced.

The MRO was OK, but an issue i experienced in a class was that sun rays behind me would radiate red lines across the field of view.

The type 2 RMR with a 3.25 MOA dot has been awesome in a LaRue mount.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:

I shoot both eyes open and I absolutely notice a difference in the FOV...but thanks for the condescending comment.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. But I'm gonna toss a wrench in here. A friend recommended EOTech and at the range Thursday they had a rental rifle with one and while I didn't shoot it, I did shoulder it and I do like the dot within a circle reticle. I know they have a fraction of the battery life of a red dot so they can't be kept on for years like the others. I know they had to do a recall or at least admit they dropped the ball with temperature sensitivity and such but beyond that any additional info I should know. It would be an EXPS2 if that makes a difference.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EOTech has the best reticle by far, I love it. The recall doesn't matter in reality either for 99% of situations.

For HD I would never get one just because I don't want to have to turn something on at O'Dark thirty. For a non HD dedicated gun, sure if you can score one at a good price. It will be a lot bigger and heavier than the MRO or AP micro though.

Picture of nsagnell
posted Hide Post
Happy H2 customer. Positively insane battery life.

I've handled the MRO in stores and it looks more than capable but I've never owned one.

--------------------------------
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Posts: 1774 | Location: Miami | Registered: June 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post