SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 522 issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 522 issue Login/Join 
Picture of SIGSCOUSER
posted
Hey Guys, bought my son a Sig 522 tactical last week, took it to the Range today and was having feeding issues, seems like it was the mags, they were moving back and forth causing failure to feed, has anyone else had this issue, is it the mags or a spring issue ??

sig certified classic Pseries Armorer
226 L1 S X6
228 WG
226WG

Posts: 579 | Location: Sterling heights MI | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pull the bolt, check to make sure the two recoil guide rods are not gummed up.

if it is an early one make sure the e clips did not pop off.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
Mine has had feeding issues when putting too much pressure on the magazine while firing. Such as resting the rifle on the magazine when shooting from a bench or when gripping the magazine with the forward hand.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
What mags? BDM are the standard ones to buy and are usually flawless

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGSCOUSER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Rifles are not my thing especially AR type, when you say e clips what are they , I am 99% sure it’s a magazine or something in the mag well not gripping the mag

226 L1 S X6
228 WG
226WG

Posts: 579 | Location: Sterling heights MI | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGSCOUSER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Yes they are BDM mags, should the be loose as in rocking back and forth real easy, if I lock the bolt open and rock the mag , it changes angle of feed significantly making the nose of the round point up or down if you get what I mean

226 L1 S X6
228 WG
226WG

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGSCOUSER:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Rifles are not my thing especially AR type, when you say e clips what are they , I am 99% sure it’s a magazine or something in the mag well not gripping the mag

Did you rest the rifle on the table using the mag as a balance point? If not the mag is pretty stable as it hangs, they don't really move.

I had a number of experiences with the problem you are describing on the first run of 522's. It was the steel guide rod rails either being to filthy, or the e-clip holding the spring on popping off. They changed out that system shortly after.

This is the spot I am talking about. I pulled this off gb

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes they are BDM mags, should the be loose as in rocking back and forth real easy, if I lock the bolt open and rock the mag , it changes angle of feed significantly making the nose of the round point up or down if you get what I mean

What color are the followers?
If they are black they need to be replaced with the red.
BDM had a bad set of followers a number of years back. I had a bunch and they sent new followers and the issue was resolved.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was the steel guide rod rails either being to filthy, or the e-clip holding the spring on popping off.

This happened to me also. I bought a 6 pack of the clips at the hardware store and keep them in the range bag with the rifle.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
It was the steel guide rod rails either being to filthy, or the e-clip holding the spring on popping off.

This happened to me also. I bought a 6 pack of the clips at the hardware store and keep them in the range bag with the rifle.

I don't remember how they fixed it, or if the picture I posted is of the fixed bcg. I know my friend got two replacements both different than the original. the last one did the trick though.

posted Hide Post
I remember having some feed issues with the BDM magazines and finding a video about sanding down the sides of the followers to smooth out some burrs due to the injection mold - but I can't seem to find that video anymore. I've had no problems since doing that.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGSCOUSER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
quote:

What color are the followers?
If they are black they need to be replaced with the red.
BDM had a bad set of followers a number of years back. I had a bunch and they sent new followers and the issue was resolved.

They have the Black followers, I will get some new red ones, hopefully that’ll do the trick

226 L1 S X6
228 WG
226WG

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The later generation of BDM magazines...X mags...are more prone to be looser fitting than the older magazines and yes like DSgrouse said...those little e-clips Will pop off. At one time BDM would send you new red followers free of charge to replace the black ones (they a slightly different angle).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post