SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FNH SCAR Parts Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FNH SCAR Parts Question Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I have been out of the SCAR business for a while. When they first hit the market, I had 3 5.56 guns and a .308. And I shot the crap out of them. I like the gun a lot, so much so I designed and marketed a bolt handle for the gun under the Apex Tactical brand.

Then I got a little disgruntled with FN over promises made on barrels, lack of replacement parts, and to top it all off, a poor attitude that they had in dealing with LE.

I eventually went back to shooting ARs, my agency got HK416s instead, and I lost interest.

Have they gotten any better at parts and support for the 16 and 17? I notice that Brownells has been in stock on replacement barrels most of the time. Are parts easier to get now?

Thanks

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a replacement barrel down the street from me at a local gun shop. It was priced about the same as one I'd already bought online. I bought firing pins etc from FN but that was a while back. I think parts are more available now but I haven't bought any since I haven't broken anything yet. Whether or not the better current availability would be good enough for a higher volume shooter like you might be a different story than what I might be OK with.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 545 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormwalker:
I go to MGW.
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/fn-scar/parts.html

Damn that looks pretty good.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah MGW is the place to get them from, although the wise person stocks up when they can, since certain items can stay out of stock for a long time. I bent a small receiver screw on my 17 and had to substitute with another, similar one from my spare parts bin because the particular one has been very hard to get. It's been in stock once in the last year but I wasn't able to buy it before it went out of stock again. But I have pretty much everything else except for the upper / lower receiver and the carrier as spares.

I still like them a lot, but really only shoot my SCAR 17 these days - for 556 it's ARs right now and the SCAR 16 is pretty much stock with an Aimpoint on it in the safe.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
You can also try:

https://hi-desertdog.com/

I've never got SCAR parts from him. But I have done some 10/22 and 77/22 stuff and he was GTG.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a SCAR addict. I won't mention how many I have and how many rounds they have shot. But its a lot of both. Yes parts are much better. But it is still not 'good'. What does good mean. It means if you break something you can go online and order it and expect it to be in stock and delivered soon. Like if its an AR. That's not possible. But what is possible now is if you have a sense from using the gun what parts you might eventually need and you sign up for notices at MGW you will eventually get that part. And mostly the wait has not been bad comparatively. So since I have more than one SCAR that's been completely workable to me. Plus they don't break many parts which is nice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
If I had a c note for every company that promises caliber exchange kits and parts and then never follows through...the Robinson line, ACR, etc. I’d actually have some money for parts.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Wow, a complete BCG is $949? Ugh..

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:

Yeah, but think how great that BCG is. Way better than an entire upper (maybe two uppers) one can buy for the same amount of coin, then snap onto a plebian AR-15.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:

Yeah, but think how great that BCG is. Way better than an entire upper (maybe two uppers) one can buy for the same amount of coin, then snap onto a plebian AR-15.
Well, the good news is that it is in stock, sooo... Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post